“Shark Dive While In Port” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports
Activities: Scuba diving, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas is Nassau's leading full service dive centre. Originally opened in 1979, the operation has grown to a fleet of nine dive vessels, with five of the boats over 40 feet in length. Located on the Southwest side of Nassau/New Providence Island, Stuart Cove's is in the ideal location to take advantage of the most diverse diving the Bahamas has to offer. Walls, reefs, wrecks and sharks! There something for everyone from beginner divers to experts. Holiday travelers who have never been diving before will enjoy the 3-hour "Learn To Dive Program". In this program guests will be introduced to the equipment used in the sport of diving in a swimming pool, receive an introduction into the basics of diving, and then complete their first ocean dive. All of this takes place under the supervision of a professional dive instructor. 2-tank dive trips are offered both moring and afternoon with 2-tank Shark dives offered every afternoon. Night dives are available on selected evenings with a minimum of 6 guests. Dive sites encompass steep vertical walls that plummet to 6,000 feet of depth, shallow tropical reefs, 13 different locations containing ship or airplane wrecks, and numerous locations that were used as underwater movie sets for feature films. The feature activities at Stuart Cove's for our divers is our "Extreme Shark Adventure". The Shark Adventure program is a 2-tank dive trip that takes divers on an underwater encounter with Caribbean Reef Sharks. On the first dive divers participate in a "free swim" with the sharks along a beautiful wall. On the second dive, the group forms a semi-circle on the 40-foot bottom and watch while a professional shark feeder enters the water with a box of bait. Upon reaching the bottom, the feeder begins feeding the sharks with the aid of a pole spear. To say the sharks come close to the divers is an understatement - they are everywhere! However, Stuart Cove's is not exclusively about diving. It's about sharing the underwater world with as many people as possible. Have a non-diving buddy? We have snorkel dedicated trips that take guests to a variety of shallow reef sites and even visits the sharks weather permitting. Want something more exciting? How about our personal submarines? SUB Bahamas takes adventurers on a trip around a shallow reef and allows them to snorkel as well on a custom boat.
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
14 attraction reviews
“Shark Dive While In Port”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were on the Allure of the Seas & where in port for 9 hours so we booked the two tank shark dive directly with Stuart Cove's. They picked us up at the cruise pier in a very nice air conditioned bus. The bus was completely full with divers from our ship so we didn't stop at any hotels going over. We enjoyed the beautiful drive. The bus driver was nice and answered all our questions about the island. The facilities at SC are very nice. All of the employees were extremely helpful. I read some reviews before going & was expecting the checkin to not be pleasant, but it went quickly. The girls were all very nice. When I checked out the long wetsuit and weights, the young man carried everything to the boat. A dive master set up all of our equipment which we brought with us. We ended up with 36 divers on the boat and 6 dive masters. The day before there were only 4. We were the only two from the cruise to do the shark dive. The rest just did a two tank dive & were on another boat. The 1st dive we divided up in two groups. The sharks were all around, but had no interest in us. The DM took us to the ring to show us where we would be on the 2nd dive. The DM showed us how to find shark teeth. There were several enormous groupers, some smaller fish & sharks swimming around us. After some time up top & before going down for our 2nd dive one of the DM's explained in great detail what to do and what to expect. We then entered the water & followed the DM's to the ring. They set us up where we each had a large rock to hold onto with hands, knees or legs. My husband & I were side by side. There was space between us & the next couple. There was a feeder, a videographer, photographer & 3 DM's located above us just in case someone "chickened out". One couple did so the DM took them back to the boat then rejoined us. The feeder did not join us until everyone was settled. The sharks followed him like the "Pied Piper". We never had a moment of fear. The sharks were incredible & they said there were around 50-60, but it wasn't something we were aware of. I noticed immediately which were male and which were female. One shark had a hook inside with a 15' orange line connected to it. One shark had a hook on his back that was rusty and encrusted. They had sucker/cleaning fish on them. One male had half of his mouth missing. One had a huge white patch that looked like a scar. There were all sizes of fish there waiting for scraps of fish. The feeder would put a long metal stick into the box & pull out a chunk of fish & give it to the closest shark. A very large nurse shark laid on the bottom & he kept his fin on her to keep her at bay. She never was agressive & he never gave her any fish. I felt bad for her since she waited patiently. We did get cold since we were down for 40 minutes & not moving. When it was time to leave the feeder swam up & away and the sharks followed him. We then went to the boat to do our safety stop. It was interesting watching the sharks all swim below us to the wall & then they all disappeared.

We were certified to dive in Jan, 2012 at the age of 60 & dove 42 time in 2012. This dive was absolutely the best dive so far. My husband filmed the whole 2nd dive & it has been thrilling to watch over & over & to share with friends & family. You can buy a video & pictures if you don't have a camera. Everyone who watches it can't believe I did it and wasn't scared. To me the sharks were so amazing to watch as they glided over & around us. One shark did hit my arm with his tail & I thought it was awesome. It was so powerful it knocked me into my husband & fortunately he got it on film. I was prepared for more hits than that since they swam within inches. They weren't interested in us nor the huge groupers or other fish, they just wanted the chunk of fish from the feeder. They were like trained circus animals of the sea. It was worth every penny.

Our bus ride back to the ship was over an hour since we had to drop divers off at each of their hotels. We enjoyed seeing the different hotels. Again we had a very nice driver who was glad to inform us about the beautiful island. We had been to Nassau once before on a cruise & once for a week, which we didn't like. This time we were able to see the pretty parts of the island. We have been to every Caribbean island & we think this island was the cleanest & wealthist. The roads are all four lanes & in excellent condition with round abouts everywhere. We only saw beautiful homes, condos, hotels, shopping centers, etc. I don't know where the citizens live. Don't miss out on seeing the island and diving with Stuart Cove's. The others from our cruise ship didn't like their two tank dive for there wasn't much to see. They felt it wasn't worth the drive nor the money. They should have done the shark dive--chickens!!!

Visited January 2013

Brookfield, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“MY BUCKET LIST SHARK DIVE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Where do I start. Beautiful day at STUARTS COVE.I got on
the boat on FEB 12TH 2013 FOR THE pm DIVE.
KATHY was my divemaster and another KATHY my photographer.
They showed me some sharks right off the bat,as soon as we hit the water.
A couple of wrecks and a huge ray later we were off to the shark feed as KATHY put it.
OK thirty or more sharks both reef and nurse were spotted right away.I was taking pictures and videos with my sea/life dc1200 camera. I could not beleive what I was seeing and becoming apart of.
The folks at STUARTS COVE are the best I have been around.The two Kathys really knew how to make this[69 year old guy] top off his bucket list.This was the best dive of my life.
Many,many thanks to KATHY and KATHY,AND THE REST OF THE CREW.I talk about this dive every day.

Regards, JOHN,FROM WISCONSIN USA

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Dive Operator”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I booked a two tank dive with this operation while on a cruise visiting the Bahamas. This was a last minute itenerary change and this excursion was added late. The operation ran smooth, had great boats and excellent dive masters which handled an overly large group of divers.

We used our own dive gear, as we always take our own with us, just personal preferance. However, there were people using their equipment which looked to be kept up well and seemed to be clean. There were two dive masters on this trip and the divers were split into two groups. We got to see a lot of different wildlife and plant life and the overall experience was very enjoyable.

We have been diving a lot in the Carribean and this was our first dives in the Bahamas and we would not hesitate to use this tour operation again. As a bonus if you are interested, they have someone taking pictures of the dive and you have the option of buying them. If you are running short on time, you do not have to wait in a long line of people to purchase, you can wait until you get home and order from the comfort of your couch after reviewing them online.

The one negative I would say is the dives were a little short. I believe this was due to the size of the dive group and the fact that it was operating tours for two different ships. Even with this, I would still be willing to book with them again, as reliable, safe tour operators are hard to find.

Visited March 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
14 attraction reviews
“Good dive operation in Nassau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked an excursion during a cruise with Stuart Cove. I booked through Shoretrips.com although one could also book with them directly. Stuart Cove picked us up at the cruise port and provided transportation over to their operation (which was about a 20-minute bus ride). They also offer shark diving but I just opted for a 2-tank dive drip.

There were only 5 divers on our boat with one dive master. We went to a wall for the first dive, which had a maximum depth of about 70 feet. The second dive was at "Twin Sisters" which is two freighters that were sunk to form an artificial reef. That dive also had a maximum depth of about 70 feet but the second freighter was higher up at about 45 feet. During that dive we had 4 Caribbean Reef Sharks come join us. So I guess we did some shark diving after all.

Falcon, Colorado, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Discover Scuba - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I went on the Discover Scuba excursion on 8 February 2013. I had a great time! I had never been scuba diving before and our guides were excellent. They taught us various techniques in the swimmin gpool first, before we got out in the ocean. I felt very comfortable withthe equipment when we did the actual dive. Of note, I am in great physical shape and I still felt very tired when the trip was completed, so not recommended for those who arent ready for a very active trip. For those looking for adventure, highly recommended!