“Had a Blast!!!” 5 of 5 stars

340 776 6111
Improve this listing
Activities: Snorkeling, Scuba diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Go night snorkeling at Hull Bay and greet octopi and schools of squid.
Boulder, CO
“Had a Blast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I went diving through the Chris Sawyer dive shop and had a great time. If I were to go back to St.Thomas, I would definetly go to them again to go diving.

austin, texas
“Chris Sawyer is a Class Dive Operation, Doug Farmer, Austin, Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

Me and my Wife just returned from St. John after a week's visit. Prior to going, I researched all the dive shops on the island and Chris Sawyer came up consistently as one of the best dive operations on the island.

As we were travelling right before Hurricane Dean was passing by, I contacted several dive shops regarding conditions and just to get a general idea of the dynamics and personalities. CS was by far the most responsive and gave a comfortable feeling over the phone. Patagon ( at the ritz) where we stayed, never did answer the phone despite 3 tries to get them. ( This may be because it is a small operation).

Upon arrival, we decided to do three days of diving with CS. On our first day, Chris was standing behind the counter and introduced himself as soon as we walked in. He couldn't have been friendlier. Then several of his staff also introduced themselves and inquired about our equipment needs. They handled all the gear ( fyi there was no rental charge for using their gear) and I never had to touch a tank during the dive if I had not wanted to.

The boat itself was comfortable and clean and there were two dive leaders for 10/11 people plus the boat captain. Safety was a priority and at no point did I ever feel that the dive leaders were not aware of there respecive groups needs. This continued through the dives and our leader was very attentive to not only pointing out interesting points underwater, but most importantly keenly aware of the individual divers locations etc. In fact, during one dive, an expereinced diver drifted off on his own and our leader stopped and waited for him to return. It was very obvious he was ready to go get him when he began to cross out of visual range( which he barely did then returned to the group). The point being his proffesional environemental awareness of the divers under his responsibility was top notch. I have been diving with groups in other locations where the leader was no where to be seen if you turned your head and was oblivious to his surroundings relative to the divers.

Another point to mention is that the majority of divers in our group had been diving mulitple days with CScs evidencing the operations ongoing professiaonlism and good spirt.

Each day we dove a different site also.

The only minor criticism may be the only provided refreshments were water and a bit of fruti between dives. I know some operations make a big deal re a contionental breakfast and/or lunch. In the case of CS, I can only assume that doesn happen due to the short surface intervals and later morning start of the boats. As I said extremely minor negative, we were there to dive and not dine so it didnt bother us in the least. Just an honest point to be made if thats a "plus" for other divers.

Oh.. I should extend a thanks to "Tom" our dive leader who I have spoken about above.

Tucson, Arizona
“Sawyer Sux Big Time!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

This place sucks. I would go to the ritz's dive shop, patagonia or patagon. They are really cool and flexable, and don't act all put out like the chris sawyer place does. Sawyer seems as if they are at their wits end when you ask them questions, and they seem like they only want to accomidate people who know anything and everything there is to know about diving. They seem like they want you to walk in, sign up, know exactly what you want to do, do it, and leave quickly. All with out saying a word so you don't put them out or anything, and god for bid they do their job, and help people, answer questions, and maybe... just maybe, crack a damn smile while doing it.
STAY AWAY........ STAY FAR FAR AWAY.... and don't go there and put anyone out. Go to the Ritz for sure, or another dive area, but not sawyer!!!!!

Methuen, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“Best Dive Shop I've Been To”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

My husband and I booked a two tank dive with Chris Sawyer for our stop over in St. Thomas on a Carnival Cruise. We had done dives inthe past with the cruise lines but wanted to use an outside one this time. We dove with Chris and Perry and they were fantastic. I was a little apprehensive, being that I hadn't dove in a while, and Perry took extra time walking me through everything to ensure my safety.

We dove Cow Rock and The Ledges both excellent dive sites with tons or fish. sea turtles and rays. They were knowledgable of the entire area pointing things out on the trip out and return.

Staff at the dive shop were wonderful as well. If I'm ever in St. Thomas again I will most definitely be visiting Chris Sawyer!

A TripAdvisor Member
“One of the best on the island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

Chris Sawyer Dive Shop is one of the best on the island, if not the best. His dive masters, boats and equipment are first rate. His staff are all mature professionals who make everyone at ease and relaxed. I will dive with them again.