“Paradise Found” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

You added Caneel Bay Resort to your Saves list
Caneel Bay Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 720, Caneel Bay 00831-0720, St. John (Formerly Caneel Bay, A Rosewood Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Paradise Found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have visited St. John many times over the years and loved it, but finally decided to try Caneel Bay Resort after having visited there in the past. We were very satisfied. The grounds, beaches, and overall relaxing and natural ambience are exactly what we had been looking for. The service was excellent. We spent most of out time on Scott Beach and were very impressed with the service the beach/bar attendants provided. Mugsy, Debbie, and Corey were wonderful attending to all our drink, food, and equipment needs promptly and politely. Also, on the staff was a young man from St. John named Dalty who was really helpful in pointing out much of the history of the island to us. Dalty knew a lot about the various beaches, sea life, and animals and volunteered much useful info to us in a very entertaining fashion. We really enjoyed meeting and speaking to him whenever he was at Scott Beach.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Been staying at Caneel since 1985 because:
- Private beaches on the property with Turtle Bay, Scotts and Hawksnest as my faves.
You also have the ability to order drinks on the beach.
-It's not the typical tacky resort with the pool bar and dozens of loud and obnoxious tourists.
-Free watersports
-Some of the the best restaurants such as ZoZo's.
-Simple elegance is the feel around the resort.
-Tennis courts day or night
-Friendly staff
-A buffet breakfast that is unsurpassed
-No TVs or phones in the rooms (great to unplug)
..................too many other things to mention.
I've been to some of the better resorts and hotels on St. John, but nothing compares. Not even close!

Room Tip: If you like quiet and be removed from the resort, choose either Hawksnest Beach or Scotts beach room...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If you like exquisite beaches and great snorkeling this is it. Once off the plane in St Thomas a lovely private ferry ride to the Caneel dock.Rooms are large and very comfortable. No tv which is a plus for me. There is free wifi. Breakfast is fantastic as is the sushi bar. Excellent tennis program. My friend did Zumba which she enjoyed.
I have been coming back for 30 yrs+.

Room Tip: I like to be on Scott beach
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
cape cod
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This trip will not happen a few weeks, in Jan 2015. Prompted to make a note now since two different people ask me where I have been and where they should go in the USVI and BVI. A simple question with a very qualified answer, different for each of them. We have traveled to the Virgins off and on for 40 years, often alternating with other islands. Now living in New England and insisting on non-stop from BOS the choice is narrowed and flying to STT is the natural choice for us since we are a little (lot) older, traveling as a couple (without kids) and while always careful with money not broke. First stop is usually Caneel since worry about an unplanned delay is not an issue, They will pick us up at the airport and take us to a ferry with includes a late afternoon departure at 5:15 pm. If we are later than that the emergency back up plan is across from the airport, the Best Western Emerald Isle - a very very nice beach and dinner/breakfast with good rooms. Can get the morning boar to Caneel. Once there, Caneel is nice laid back "old money modest" peaceful with world class beaches and a couple of good restaurants plus convenient grill. Plus there is Cruise Bay (downtown) a few minutes and about $5 away. You will know about Caneel if you read some of the many other reviews. After a few days or a week or so we often venture to Peter Island which will pick us up at the Caneel dock or at Chalet Amalie and take us to their dock about 90 minutes later. Back in the day this was only twice a week, now it's several days a week so the "threat" of missing the boat on the day planned is less since one can ride the next day. So you can skip Caneel if you have limited time and want Peter.
Why Peter? They all have their different charms but if you get a beach front room (hopefully on a deal - plan way ahead) this is a nice, very nice, location and decent beach and "clubby" feel with often good food (has varied over the years). The down stair "ocean front" rooms are almost but not quite finished being renovated, so beware of construction during the day in the pool/ point area, Call for update. Only downside is an increasing influx of intrusive sailors at the restaurants and sometime the main beach. Would I go again? We are going again. Looking forward to it. Because Peter and Little Dix are in the BVI and both have boats picking up guests at Beef Island (next to Tortilla Airport) we used to take a Peter Boat there then hop on a Dix boat to their propriety. Great long beach, each end of which is usually quiet. Great rooms (often an upgrade). Nice small pool for intense sun shot (shade avail also) and consistently very good food. Your teens will do fine here. Both Caneel and Dix have a very nice breakfast buffet spread). There is also a somewhat clubby feel " lucky us" here also. Good vibes, great staff. Unfortunately we will miss Dix this trip since a) the minimum room category / price, which admittedly was a bargain, has been eliminated so despite upgrades and free breakfast the tab is too steep a jump from last year and b) they did not announce they now have a speed boat pick up from St. Thomas (I believe it's the same company that picks up Peter Island guests) until our plans were already set. Since we didn't want to change planes in SJU, meaning we didn't want to fly from Tortilla and didn't want to go BACK to Peter for a day or two in order to get back to STT (which we used to do to avoid the long multi public ferry ride) we decided to pass. Now that is all a moot point, so thank you Dix! Maybe next time, Dix is a great place, now pricier but much more convenient for some of us.

Getting tired of writing this, so quick note on Biars Creek: Great rooms oceanside, fine garden level, have to walk or bike to ok beach. Food is/was (it's been a while) fabulous. Rates have gone way up, not convenient if not flying to Tortilla. Will talk about Guana another time. John and Mary, hope answered your questions.

Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

The Caneel Bay Resort is the top dog of all hotels on the island. Beautiful beaches and awesome service. Everything here is perfect. You can't go wrong staying here. The prices are a little high but well worth it.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stunning, pristine beaches combined with wonderful, friendly service make for a relaxing and carefree escape at Caneel Bay Resort. Having read a number of mixed reviews before booking our special vacation, I was determined to give this former Rosewood and Rockresort a chance to prove the negative comments wrong. This was a high end vacation for my husband and I for a special occasion so my expectations were quite high. For the most part, my high expectations were met and in some cases (food and service) were exceeded. Actually, the only real negative comment that I found to be valid was the fact that the individual rooms (especially the bathrooms) are starting to show their age. We stayed in a beachside room on Hawksnest Beach (beautiful, quiet beach) which was an "upgraded" level room and, while it was clean, looked a bit long in the tooth... Furnishings (other than the bed) seemed a bit worn and the bathroom bordered on (in my mind) unacceptable at this level resort. Tiles were older, cracked/stained (I realize this is a tropical resort and the climate takes it's toll) - not luxe other than the toiletries provided. This did not, however, impact the wonderful experiences we enjoyed at Caneel, it is just a suggestion for those at the resort to consider in making future upgrade plans. We met some wonderful staff - bartender Siobhan was an intelligent breath of fresh air, Concierge Christina was helpful before and during our trip, waiter Bart and bartender Luke were professional and always courteous... A favorite person on staff was "Top Dog" who we encountered a number of times... Resort buses were easy to use and always seemed to arrive just when you needed them with a smiling driver. We were made to feel special and as if we belonged! Caneel was a special trip for us and, overall, if we had the resources to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate!

• Stayed December 2014
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was a little worried because many of the recent reviews have said the place really needs to be renovated so I wasn't sure what to expect. I needn't have worried!
We arrived at the St Thomas airport and as we walked out of the gate, the visitors center had shots of rum. Great way to start a vacation. Our bags came out immediately and Caneel Bay has an air conditioned room about 10 steps away from the baggage claim. There we were checked, in given water and cookies and then loaded onto a taxi, which took us to a private ferry for Caneel Bay Resort. On the lovely boat ride over, the captain gave us each a rum punch to enjoy the ride.
As we pulled in to Caneel bay, the staff was there to greet us with cool compresses and a personal attendant to show us around and to our room.
I live in Park City/Deer Valley area, so I do know what luxury looks like, and true to what some folks are saying, this is not the very top end, but I don't think it needs to be. The room is absolutely lovely, clean and every bit as luxurious as it needs to be. It feels tropical and not run down at all. Could they remodel? Sure, but do they need to? I don't really think so.
Upon check in, because it is our first time here, we received a bottle of Moet and an invitation to a Sunset cocktail cruise on Thursday (I have yet to take that).
The staff could not be better. Everyone is so friendly and attentive and the grounds are stunning. There is a bus, because the place is large, but we prefer walking everywhere.
The resort has a really interesting history and I just love the old Sugar Mill ruins. We haven't been to Zozo's yet, but hear it is fabulous and it is in a historic building.
So far, we have been to 3 of the 5 beaches, and all are great. Only Caneel Bay allows children, which is nice, because we came without the kids, so it is easy to end up somewhere with a lot of peace and quite if you want it.
Caneel is the main beach and that is where all of the happenings are.
Super easy to get a cab into town and the rates are clearly posted, so you never have to worry about getting ripped off.
We went to the manger's cocktail reception the other day and met several couples who come here every year. One couple who has been coming since their honeymoon - 22 years ago!!!
They love the place and wouldn't even dream of going anywhere else.
This place is relaxed luxury with top of the line service. If you need to have granite countertops and waiters with white gloves, it might not be for you, but I can't imagine anyone having a bad time here.
One reviewer mentioned the donkeys. They are adorable! Not one of them looks to have fleas. They seem healthy and well fed and are a lot of fun to watch.
*** One thing to note, I had asked for a room with good wifi, but I haven't been able to get on the wifi in the room at all, and that does seem to be the norm. I just come down once or twice a day to check, which is fine, but if you absolutely need access, I'm not sure this place would work. There are no phones or TV's in the room, which again, I may not have chosen. Verizon is 1.99 a minute her (though data and text are the usual package) so it would have been nice to have a phone in the room in case of emergencies, but no that big of a deal.
If Caneel upgrades soon, I would suggest they start with the wifi! Not a deal killer for me, but could be for some people and I'd love to be able to stream music in the room.

Room Tip: The beach places are nice, but not private. I like the rooms overlooking the golf course. A very sho...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!