“Peace and relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

Save Saved
You added Caneel Bay Resort to your Saves list
Caneel Bay Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 720, Caneel Bay 00831-0720, St. John (Formerly Caneel Bay, A Rosewood Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Caneel Bay
Birmingham, Alabama
“Peace and relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful getaway to Caneel Bay and we both have to say it was the best trip we have ever taken as a couple. The grounds were as gorgeous as any beach property we have ever seen. Our room was right on the beach complete with some shade trees when we wanted to get out of the sun. Every meal we had we had was outstanding with Turtle Bay Restaurant being our favorite. Even though we heard the resort was 80% full we never felt crowded or heard any noise. We had all the privacy we needed!
We will definitely be back! We loved it!

Room Tip: Loved the rooms on Scott Beach

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from our first (but not last) Caneel vacation and can not wait to get back.
I am a former STJ resident and we have been visiting the island for the past 10 years, staying in villas each time.
This was a wonderful departure from our normal STJ vacations and was the perfect spot to just relax in a wonderful location.
Our room, 72, on Scott beach was great. Yes, the furnishing were older but in our case, certainly not worn out and I felt that they had a nice old time Caribbean feel. Walking out of room to a beautiful beach was the highlight of our stay. We swam early morning and by the moonlight!
We chose to walk most of the resort, instead of taking the shuttle and enjoyed the deer and donkey roaming the property.
We enjoyed wonderful meals with great service at Zozo's and the Beach Cafe and the gelato at Canella is amazing!
We ran in the mornings and hiked the trails and I had a great massage in one of the beachside cabanas.
I know that every review needs to be balanced, so I will say that I think that the beach service on Scott should be all or nothing. Having one attendant to man the bar and the beach is not adequate to keep up with demand, Either have great beach service or have folks go to the bar. Having medicore service on the beach does not go with the level of service everywhere else on property.
We are looking forward to our return! Hopefully before the end of 2014!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My husband and I just spent 3 nights here and loved it. Already thinking of when we can go back. The beaches are stunning and on more than one occasion we were the only couple (or 1 of 2) at the beach - it felt like paradise. Certain beaches seemed more private than others (e.g. Hawks Nest and Turtle) and it's worth exploring all the different ones - especially with a snorkel and mask as there are so many neat things to see from turtles, to sea fans to all sorts of colorful fish. The resort is very large but I'd say everything is a 10-20 minute walk and there are shuttles constantly driving around to help guests get around. The staff is very friendly and always ready to help. This was a splurge on our part but I felt it was well worth it considering how nice and unique the property is. We stayed in the garden view and although it would have been nicer to be right on the water the garden area was very convenient and we weren't in the room all that much. Also the breakfast buffet is so filling we didn't have to eat lunch. I read some reviews of people complaining about no TVs but that didn't matter to us - in fact it made the trip more relaxing because we could just read or chat on the porch. It really felt like we got away from it all and wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view and although it would have been nicer to be right on the water the gard...
Excelsior, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We just returned from an 8 night stay at Caneel. It was our first time and we cannot wait to go back next year. It IS PRICEY!! What you are paying for is the privacy of the property with 8 beaches to choose from and the natural setting. Yes the rooms need an upgrade. Yes, we got some sand flea/noseum bites. If you like formal landscaping and fancy pools and doting service on the beach this is not your place. This is a quiet, rustic resort with beautiful beaches and flora. We travelled with our two girls ages 10 and 8. They loved the donkeys and the baby donkeys and the deer and the baby deer. All so tame you can touch them. The girls loved High Tea every day at 4 at the Turtle Bay Estate. It is complimentary. We also discovered the lunch buffet at Turtle Bay Estate had the best deal for lunch. Food was delicious though of course expensive. The shuttles were always around to take you around but I enjoyed walking. It is totally walkable especially if you need to burn off breakfast. Snorkeling was fun and our girls tried it for the first time. It's perfect for beginners. We loved exploring all the different beaches. The kids club was great. The staff at kids club and housekeeping as well as many of the wait staff and shuttle drivers are all friendly and sweet. We have travelled all over Hawaiian Islands and Bahamas at 4 and 5 star resorts and we definitely will be back at Caneel next year. We met many people who return here year after year. It is very down to earth.

Room Tip: Ocean view/front is best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Barboursville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife, 6yr old daughter and I just got back from a week at Caneel Bay and once again had a fantastic time. Our room on Hawksnest Beach (ground floor right on the beach) was great. Had a wonderful view of the water from our patio. The sea turtles were swimming about just a few yards off the beach, saw several rays swimming by as well.

Great beach for snorkeling. Turtles and Rays in the middle (grassy bottom, perfect for turtles), Lots of different corals and sea fans to our right along the rocks and lots of coral and fish on the left shore along the rocks. Parrot fish, Box fish, Grunts, Yellow Tail Snapper, Squirl fish, Baracuda etc.

The wonderful ladies who took care of our room were fantasitc as usual. All the staff, the grounds keepers, the shuttle drivers, the ladies in the gift shop, the coffee/icecream shop (Nice addition) always greated us with a warm smile. The woman at Varlack Jeep rental was also great. We had the B&B plan which was perfect for us, big breakfast, which was always great. We ate at both the terrace and Turtle Bay, No difference in food or service, both were EXCELLENT.

We rented a refrigerator (worth the $) and took a cab to the Starfish Market in Cruz Bay to get lunch supplies,snacks and RUM RUM RUM RUM.

Ate at Zozo one night had a good meal during a wonderful sunset. Other nights we went into town or at at the Beach Bar restaurant had Sushi which was excellent. Amber was our server several times and she was GREAT!

Did the Sunset Cruise again and once again had a wonderful time. The staff were very attentive and the steel drum and guitar music were perfect for the mood, the hors d'oeuvres were great as well, and all the rum punch we could drink. Who could ask for any thing more.

Our daughter did the Kids Club one morning and had a great time. She loved the Deer (with babies and Donkeys (baby donkey too).

There's nothing like waking up in the mourning and sitting out on our patio, sipping a cup of coffee, hearing waves lap at the beach and watching the sun rise over the mountains. Heaven!

Did the New Horizons Breakaway Charters day trip to Virgin Gorda for the Baths, lunch at Pussers and topping it off with a stop at Soggy Dollar. This is a must do trip. Make sure you bring your passport(s). Michelle and Capt. John were great.

Could go on and on about the great time we had. We love it there. Can't wait to get our daughter's spring break schedule for next year so we can make our reservations.

See you next year.

Room Tip: Last year my wife and I stayed on Scott Beach Rm 86, its at the end of the beach end of the beach, h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My latest trip here was less than ideal due to GM and office management. I do not think, GM is person to lead Caneel into new, independent phase (post-Rosewood), not welcoming in a professional nor personal manner, plays favorites, even among repeat customers. I feel the daily staff is very welcoming, where upper management does not introduce themselves. I witnessed, GM's family monopolizing waterfront staff time. Kids allowed to fish off dock (in tropical protected waters) and leave fish out of water until dead, I found this disturbing. I believe if a GM is warm and welcoming they become part of the property, this was not the case. I felt like I was at someone's else's home, who tolerated visitors. GM's are critical to a small luxary hotels success, this one subtracts from experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
MDCaneel, General Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Talkback100,
Please accept my personal apologies for the above experience and for any perceived slight inadvertently caused to you. I do hope however, to have the opportunity to meet and speak with you further, should you choose to visit us once again in the future. As this review is more about my management, and our independent phase, I would like to this opportunity to address our change in management, and how it affects Caneel Bay for our past and future guests.

This past October our contract was up for renewal with Rosewood Resorts, and a mutual decision was made, not to renew. Caneel Bay is now an independent resort, however, our ownership, management and the majority of our staff remains in place, as it has for many, many years. We are also pleased to be a part of The Leading Hotels of the World collection.

As always, we continuously strive to maintain the high standards expected of our guests, and we will continue to improve upon these efforts on a daily basis. Caneel Bay will remain faithful to our founder, Laurance Rockefeller’s vision and many of the traditions that make Caneel Bay a true escape to paradise.

As always, I am available though our executive office at 340.776.6111,or I could be reached by email at managingdirector@caneelbay.com.

Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resort
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at Caneel on Hawksnest Beach. The service at all times was awesome! Our flight was late coming in to St. Thomas, but, Caneel Bay had our driver wait until we arrived and he took us to the Caneel ferry (that also waited for us) that after boarding departed immediately. When we landed, a consierge greeted us and took us to our room. The level of service during our week there was nothing short of excellent. We will definately be going back.

Room Tip: Hawksnest Beach on the ground floor, very quiet, private, excellent snorkeling right off the beach
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!