“Busy Busy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waterlemon Cay

Waterlemon Cay
Water Lemon Cay Beach Virgin Islands National Park,, Virgin Islands National Park 00830 ‎, St. John
Improve this listing
Type: Islands, Reefs, Bodies of Water
Activities: Snorkeling, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A short swim from Leinster Bay, you'll find some of the best snorkeling on this small island, with its plethora of marine life.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
“Busy Busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Waterlemon Cay was beautiful, but has become congested. So many snorkelers and many of them were not respectful of looking around for each other. I got pushed towards a sea urchin garden. Aside from the tourists, the snorkeling was beautiful. Rocky beach makes it hard to get it, but was worth it.

Visited August 2012

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“A Little Overrated....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We visited Waterlemon Cay after hearing some great reviews about the snorkeling in the area. After parking and we took the trail, which took us about 30 minutes. On our walk it was neat to see some ruins and several mongoose. We entered the water across from the little island on a very rocky beach. There were sea urchins everywhere and I would definitely recommend some type of water shoes. We went with another couple and crossed the pretty deep channel finally arriving close to the little island. We went with the current on the left side of the island. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the quality and the quantity of fish and coral. There were a lot of sea fans, but the amount of fish seemed lacking. As we continued around the cay the visibility got worse so I decided that I wanted to head back. My husband and I swam back, but the couple that we were with continued on around the entire island. When they got back to the beach they mentioned that we didn't miss much getting out where we did. I would recommend honeymoon, the beach by Vie's, or Maho for better beaches and snorkeling. Also at times the current was pretty strong so I definitely recommend fins and possibly bringing some type of floatation device.

Visited July 2012
Falls Church Va
12 attraction reviews
“snorkeling the way it is supposed to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We went early in the am so parking was plentiful and the walk out Leicester trail was easy. After donning mask and fins, we immediately saw a ray, then a turtle followed by a multitude of gorgeous fish. It is worth swimming around the Cay for the variety of species- make sure you notice all the baby baracudas along the shore

Visited July 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Beautiful water, great snorkeling. There are some grassy areas where I always find turtles grazing and swimming. Some times There are lots of Starfish

Visited January 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Well in St. John, we went there twice. The snorkeling was excellent the first time!!!! The reef was just so alive around the Cay! Everything about it was absolutely beautiful- the vibrant reef colors, the amazing wildlife. It is also so unspoiled, and not the biggest tourist attraction. We had to hike a short while- about ten minutes to get the closest point of entry to the Cay. It is not a paved road, just a trail. I saw a young family trying to take a stroller down the path, and it didn't work at all. This Cay is not a place for small children. Anyways, when we got to the point of entry, we hung our belongings on a tree and entered in from the rocky beach. Be careful of sea urchins, they are everywhere. Th snorkeling was breathtaking! We saw tons of colorful fish, 9 squid, barracudas, and a GIANT spotted eagle ray! However, you have to fight your way around the reef. There was a strong current that was a little difficult to get around. Overall, I highly recommend this snorkeling site!

Visited June 2012