“Loved Estate Lindholm!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Worth Texas
“Loved Estate Lindholm!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

My husband and I loved EL. This was our first trip to the VI's and we were so pleased. Its close to Cruz Bay (walking distance), and several hiking trails start near EL. Lauren is a great host and always gave us valuable information on daily outtings. The honor bar is awesome as is the convienance of the coolers and beach chairs. I do have to admit that on the fifth day I was ready to eat a differant breakfest, but what is offered is very tasty.

This is an awesome place to stay on what is a beautiful paradise. We would go back in a heart beat!
Make sure you visit all the beaches on St John, even the ones that require a good hike! They are worth it!!!!

• Liked — The size, it was small and intimate
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is a welcoming and comfortable B & B, but I hesitate to give it a glowing review because I have stayed at other B & B's that have been far better. From all of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, my husband and I couldn't wait to get here. (We are seasoned travelers, and we love resorts/boutique hotels, but we also love the smaller, charming B&B's and more-bang-for-your-buck places)
I've stayed at Caneel Bay years ago, but we chose against that and the Westin this year because all of the reports have been terrible on those two properties.

We arrived after a long day of travelling and were shown to our room. No tour of the place, no chilled fresh-squeezed juice or fruit, which is always a welcome treat after a long day of travels. The room (ocean view) was nice, great view of Cruz Bay, nice little deck/rocking chairs, and it was comfortable, and as other reviewers stated, the kitchenette is great. We paid a low-season rate, but I would definitely not stay here during high season because the room was not worth the price (unless you somehow can get a low-season price). The air conditioning was extremely loud, not the type you could leave on all night. I'd have to get up every few hours and turn it on, cool the room down, and then turn it off. (I'm not a really sensitive sleeper either) The linens were okay, but could definitely be replaced w/new ones. There was also an old TV with cable.
Something I think is important is the cleaning. I typically don't care where I stay as long as it's clean. Perhaps it was just our room, or the regular staffer was away, but we felt that just the basics were cleaned on a daily basis. The sheets were never washed (it's one thing if you can request this to save energy, I know water supply is low, but after 6 nights of heat, humidity and the sand that somehow always makes its way onto the bed, it felt pretty gross to still be in those sheets.) I won't dwell, but you know when you walk into your room (and bathroom) and it feels really fresh and clean---and we never had that feeling. And we are a neat couple, don't think we're slobs or anything.
I know it's a little gripe, but another guest complained that they only had decaf coffee in their room, and we had the same in ours, and would have preferred the option of regular.
It's true what other reviewers reported about the breakfast---it's simple, but really all you need. I would agree--we were happy with our breakfast options.. Some B&B's however really stand out when their breakfasts are good, even if a hot entree isn't an option. We would have loved more variety of fruit, or at least not the same thing every day. Maybe we'd suggest a plate of scrambled eggs and not just hard boiled eggs everyday, or the option to make your own omelet, but we were fine with what was offered. But again, nothing amazing.

I'd also agree with others saying that the location is fantastic. You can walk down to Cruz Bay, and then back up the hill--it's really not a big deal, you don't have to be in great shape to walk up the hill. The only people I would think who may have trouble are elderly guests or special needs guests. We definitely recommend the owner's restaurant next door--Asolare. Best meal we had on the island. I would also recommend renting a car---there's a lot to see on the island and I hate feeling trapped--taxis are expensive--so I'd highly recommend that. (Unless you're perfectly happy staying at the Inn, and venturing out to just one or two beaches, there for only one day, etc)

The other thing is Honeymoon Beach. Short hike to it, but it's the best spot, especially if you get there early in the morning. When the boatloads of snorkelers show up (mid-day), it certainly feels a little more cramped! Especially when they sit on the shore, talk on their cellphones and smoke cigarettes! So gross, not what you need to see on a beautiful island. We liked that you could borrow beach chairs, towels and coolers, always a nice touch.
We asked about the fitness room which we read about on the website, but were told that it wasn't in operating order, so that was unfortunate. It's too hot and too dangerous to go for a run on the roads. (Sharp corners, no shoulders, fast drivers, I wouldn't recommend running on the roads) So hiking and swimming was our exercise.

The pool is more like a big bathtub, but no one goes to St. John for the pools, so we were fine with that. The terrace area is gorgeous, as is all the landscaping. That was impressive. And yes, the owners of this B&B are very friendly and knowledgeable.

On a final note, we feel that St. John has changed for the worse over the years. It's a lot more crowded and touristy than it used to be, and you can tell the island has suffered. (including the reefs, but that's also from the sun, not just tourists) We spoke with other couples on our trip who said they felt the very same way. Cruz Bay seemed dirty and was not as charming as it once was. Many beaches are pretty crowded---I can't even imagine what it's like during high season! I would suggest other islands over St. John. The British Virgin Islands are a lot cleaner, and less touristy (although some would say even they have suffered). Anguilla is beautiful too. St. John is, however, the nicest of the US Virgin Islands. Don't get me wrong, people love ST. John, and keep coming back, the beaches are beautiful, there are good restaurants, people are friendly, etc., and you will probably have a great time, but having been here a few times over the past several years, I feel that it's not as exotic and tranquil as it used to be, and that it's lost a lot of its character. (The other suggestion is to do the islands the best way---by boat. It's not as expensive as you might think, and you can go to any beach you want and you can avoid crowds!)

Compared to the other options on the island, Estate Lindholm is a fine choice. I just hesitate to give it a perfect review because there was nothing truly extraordinary about it. It's more of a safe bet, with friendly owners, nice rooms and a great location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing extraordinary, more basic than we expected
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

My husband found this B&B on the internet. Ignore the negative comment from the person who couldn't get their 20 year old in the room. This property is beautiful and relaxing. The owners, Laura and Brion, are really good people who have been living on the island for many years and who will see to it that you truly enjoy your stay on St. John.

We did not want to leave at the end of our stay. We eventually had to move to another B&B due to an airline delay and the other B&B had no soul ! Do not pass this opportunity to meet some truly great people and enjoy a fabulous place!

Breakfasts are great - more than you could ever expect for a continental breakfast. At night you can come back home and enjoy the pool or just sit and have a sip of wine on the deck and enjoy the serenity of this place!

Stayed August 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed at the Estate Lindholm during May 2007. We arrived late on a Wednesday and had to catch the 6:00 am ferry on Sunday so we didn't get to spend nearly enough time there but we loved everything about Estate Lindholm and St. John!

Our room had an amazing view and was clean and had everything we needed. The grounds of this B&B are lush and beautiful! The location is great. It's a simple downhill walk into Cruz bay and a cheap taxi ride back up.

All the beaches on St. John are beautiful but one of the best is Honeymoon Bay. It's about a 20 minute hike from the B&B. We rented a jeep and drove all over the island. The view from Bordeaux Mountain was great.

Recommend you take a day trip to the British Virgin Islands. We used New Horizons Charters and had a fun time.

We will definitely stay at Estate Lindholm again!

Stayed May 2007
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

My family has been going to St. John for almost 30 years and it continues to be one of our favorite islands. We generally stay at Caneel Bay, but thought this year we might like to do the B&B experience. EL gets excellent reviews and no doubt is a wonderful place to stay, but we didn't get that chance.

When I emailed to inquire about a reservation for 3 adults -- parents and a 20 year old -- I received a very prompt message back that the B&B does not welcome single adult children as they generally like to go out and party and can be a disturbance to other guests. I was surprised by this message and rather upset. We have traveled around much of the Caribbean and would clearly have chosen a party destination if that had been our priority. EL staff knew nothing about us and yet chose to assume that every 20 year old is looking for an all night party. Stereotyping is never pleasant and never fair.

HOWEVER, because we were not offered a reservation at EL, I continued to look for a laid back, quiet, place with the natural beauty of St. John. As a writer, and often travel writer, I'm always looking for new and unique places. And voila!! We discovered Guana Island, a privately-owned island in the British Virgins, and absolutely fell in love with the place -- no tv, radio, telephone, or parties. It's the St. John I remember from 30 years ago, but better! Just incredible natural beauty and a staff that is totally welcoming and accomodating. Very expensive, but very worth saving up for.

Unfortunately, because of the EL staff's attitude, this B&B won't make my list of next best places to go.

Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at beautiful Estate Lindholm from April 14-19, 2007 to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary, and we absolutely loved it! The owner, Lauren, and her staff made us feel so welcome and very comfortable. Our room, Hawksnest, was lovely - very clean with outstanding views of Cruz Bay harbor and St. Thomas. The Estate's grounds are gorgeous - lush greens and tropical flowers are everywhere...the place seems like a bit of paradise! The location of the property is excellent - being within walking distance to town, the entrance to the National Park, and amazing beaches was great! Estate Lindholm was the perfect place for us to stay in St. John...we can’t wait to return!

• Liked — Very clean/great location/beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — I really liked everything!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
noeltravels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

This is a tardy review--- we stayed at Estate Lindholm in July 2007 for 5 nights--- and it was great!
Lauren picked us up at the ferry and was even nice enough to drop us off the day we took off. To add to the niceness, we were upgraded to a nicer room because she had availability. The room was very comfortable and clean and the A/C worked very well. It only rained one night that we were there even though this was the off-season.
During the days, we mostly explored various beaches (took taxis to and from-- this worked fine for us.) There was a walk up and down a steep hill to get to town but i mostly enjoyed the walk--- renting a car is definitely not necessary but may make things easier.
Asolare is great --- definitely the best food on the island (at least among the place we tried:)

Stayed July 2006

Been to Estate Lindholm? Share your experiences!