“An Inn that feels like home” 5 of 5 stars

Estate Lindholm
P.O. Box 1360, Cruz Bay 00831, St. John   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Rochester, NY
“An Inn that feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Following reviews on Tripadvisor, I looked into this property. We weren't staying long enough for a Villa or most other accomodations. So happy we stayed here! It is just the beginning of the season and the first two nights we were the only guests. Needless to say, it was like our own private property with unbelievable views of the bay and the sunsets. The property is gorgeous! Much care is taken with the grounds and the flowers. The rooms are large enough and have a refrigerator, microwave and extra sink if you need to store food and beverage. A selection of cereals, fruit, and other breakfast items are rotated each day and sitting drinking your coffee on the terrace overlooking the boats and bay is spectacular. Lauren, the owner spent breakfast time with us most mornings and then we all went on with our day. If it is possible in her schedule, she will pick you up at the ferry dock for the short ride uphill from town. During the day, it is an easy walk into town and to the trails to beaches.
If you are a person that needs some sort of attention beyond breakfast, or a full service facility,then this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a fairly private location with great beauty and an atmosphere like a b&b, I highly recommend Estate Lindholm.

Room Tip: Rooms with the bay view are definitely worth it. They face west and you see the gorgeous sunsets.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been traveling to St. John every July for the past eleven years and always stay in private villas. This year I decided to extend my trip after my family left, but the villa was not available. Having driven by ESTATE LINDHOLM many times I thought - wow why not stay there? I couldn't have been happier with my decision. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the rooms clean and bright. The nice morning breakfast and honor bar make for a relaxing stay. Lauren the owner is a delight. Since I was traveling alone I was worried about being in Cruz Bay by myself at 5:30am to catch an early ferry. When I expressed my concern to Lauren she immediately volunteered to wake up at 4:45 and take me personally into town. Service way beyond the call of duty for sure!!! Next year I think we will forgo the hugely expensive villa rental and stay the entire time at this lovely B & B.

Room Tip: My garden view room was fine but next time I will choose a Harbor View Room for a better view from t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

There is exactly one reason I hesitate to write a positive review, and it's a selfish one - I fear there won't be any vacancies when I go to book here again next time I'm in St. John.

We had a friend that stayed at Estate Lindholm; her enthusiastic recommendation was confirmed by the reviews on TripAdvisor, and we booked a room in Estate Lindholm. And it was absolutely fantastic.

The room is great - nothing overly fancy, but spacious and airy and well-maintained - you certainly feel like you're staying in the Caribbean. The balcony views were beautiful - a great place to kick back and relax after a day at the beach (ha, relaxing after relaxing) or hiking through the jungles.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Lush with tropical plant-life, there's a pool, a nice area to eat breakfast with unbelievable views, and best of all, lots of great personal touches from the owners.

Speaking of the owners, they're around all the time, and they're very friendly and personable. They'll give you advice, help you get back and forth from the dock. There are beach chairs, goggles, water noodles, and towels you can borrow. At the end of the day, you'll feel like you're staying in someone's home over a hotel.

Finally, the location is perfect. You can walk to town (tho warning, it's a steep hill with no sidewalk). You can also walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

I noticed in one review that someone complained of the music coming from town. Ha, we stayed for 10 days (!) and this was never - not once - an issue. We stayed in October '11, and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay for a week at Estate Lindholm with my best friend for a girl's getaway during the second week of August. Estate Lindholm was exactly everything that we hoped it would be and then some! The grounds are extremely well taken care of (thanks Cookie!) and the flowers are beautiful. Everywhere you looked the views were breathtaking! Estate Lindholm is situated at the top of the hill in Cruz Bay so it is centrally located to many restaurants and beaches which was helpful to us because we did NOT rent a car for the week. We could walk down the hill to town in just a matter of minutes and it was just a quick ride back up and there was always a taxi waiting to take you for just a couple of bucks. Two beaches were a short hike away (down a pretty steep and rocky path, though) (Soloman or Honeymoon) and the others were again just a quick taxi ride away. The owner of the bed and breakfast, Lauren, was completely helpful and full of information about the island which was great for a first time trippers to St. John. She also had an employee, Linda, who was so friendly and helpful she was like having our own personal trip advisor. I loved being able to enjoy the nice breakfast everyday with other travelers and share tips with them and hear of their experiences with other beaches and restaurants. The room that we stayed in, Kiddel, was more than adequate and probably had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The room had a microwave, coffee pot, fridge and dishes and silverware which came in hand for packing lunches for the beach. Estate Lindholm is a very warm and friendly place to stay. We were looking for someplace that was homey and not over run with crowds and people and we definitly found it. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Although we stayed in a second floor harborview room, I would stay in a first floor room next time...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

After visiting many different islands in the Caribbean, we finally made it to St. John and stayed at Estate Lindholm. EL was charming in every way, from the room with a great view, to the incredible garden settings, and the friendly guests at breakfast. The owner Lauren was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about all the things we wanted to know on our first trip to St. John. The location just outside of Cruz Bay at the entrance to the National Park was perfect for our snorkeling on the beautiful north shore beaches. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The views from the harborview rooms are worth the extra charge.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I just spent 9 days at Estate Lindholm and could not have been more pleased. Grounds are spectacular. The owners were warm and very helpful. Room was very nice. Enjoyed the view from our deck (stayed in Gentil) of Cruz Bay and St Thomas each day. Location was great; far enough away (5 minute walk) from Cruz Bay to avoid the noise but close to easily get to restaurants, rental car, shopping. Also was able to catch cabs whenever we wanted. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Had read a review suggesting getting a room with a view of Cruz Bay. Glad we did.
Portland, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon on St. Johns and it appears that we chose the perfect place to stay. Estate Lindholm exceeded our expectations from the minute we walked off the ferry to meet Lauren until the day we left.

The grounds, as noted in several other reviews were lush, colorful, and abundant with species of melodic birds, small lizards, and chirping frogs. Every corner of the property was meticulously maintained; a venerable paradise of tropical beauty from the stone walkways infused with coral, pottery shards and local stone, to the clean and inviting swimming pool overlooking Cruz bay, everything was wild and untouched yet somehow perfectly groomed.

Our room, Kiddel, was extremely clean and well kept. The bed was unusually comfortable for an Inn and the linens were soft and fresh each night. We even took a peak at the brand and model of the bed as we considered buying one for home. The bathroom was also very clean and had a walk -in glass block shower with a huge window overlooking the bay...not a bad way to refresh after a long hike out to the beaches or into the forest :) The AC was quiet and worked quite well...we were there in mid July, we certainly needed it (I am a true polar bear).

For most of the trip, it really felt as if we had our own private estate to stay in. There are other guests available to talk to of course (at breakfest etc) but most of the time if we decided to have a relaxing afternoon by the pool, it was quite private. (Close proximity to other quests is something I generally do not like about small inns and B+B's) On the other hand, we did meet some people towards the end of the trip who we really enjoyed socializing with down by the pool and we actually had some great conversation and shared some drink with the owner of Estate Lindholm, Lauren. Dont get me wrong, Lauren certainly gives her quests plenty of privacy and space but we hit it off particularly well and our last few afternoons were spent laughing and socializing with her and another couple or two down in the pool.

As for the management, im not sure what a couple of these other reviews are referring to as Lauren does an amazing job running this inn. She goes well out of her way to make guests comfortable, to be well fed and to set off on their St. John adventures well informed and properly equipped. Everyday she was there to offer up suggestions and to answer any questions we had with a smile (I know if I had to answer as many questions as I had I might not be smiling so kudos) Now of course she has a lot to maintain there, given (14 rooms is quite a bit larger than most B+B type places)...so at times you might have to request certain things etc..If someone wants luxury resort service, then thats where one should go I would think...

I wish every inn I have been to was this perfect...oh well, well just have to go back for our anniversaries each year :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Estate Lindholm? Share your experiences!