I wish I had seen the review from trv08 on Feb 12 2008 before I booked - as it was spot on.
- I can certainly validate all the reviewer’s comments and I guess everyone’s expectations ‘are’ different as nothing has changed since - and the owners’ vitriolic,defensive, non-apologetic response is indicative of the lack of insight and low standards; as evidenced by the condition of the place. See photos for those unconvinced.
(No-one is going to spend their vacation complaining to owner that it’s a dump and needs gutting. No idea where all the "regular maintenance" was done. We certainly didn’t see any! “Some people are impossible to satisfy” certainly, but most folk expect it to be clean, adequately equipped and not falling apart.)
- We certainly weren’t expecting a used wet towel in the middle of the floor and discarded old food items in the fridgegreeting us on arrival. (Never a good sign.) We weren’t expecting everything to be so old, warn, broken and grubby, an old rusting grill that never got hot when we could actually get it lit, absence of drinking glasses, pans warn through the Teflon, rusted broken fridge we held on with tape, mold & stains on the curtains, no DVD/VCR, two old box TVs with grubby remotes (go downstairs to satellite box to control upstairs TV!), a rusting microwave - and absence of Wi-Fi signal despite the advert, etc etc etc
For the price paid for such a small place, this was really as sad and faded as the old prints on the walls. The owners may wish to plow some of their profit back in to a top-to-bottom refurb – not just a coat of paint on the walls. The potential is there is for a great little place a short walk from town center. Location is good. Condition isn’t.
When got talking to locals and they asked where we were staying their response was always the same – “Oh, too bad” or similar, was a comment heard several times as reported to them by prior renters.
The Villas appear to have a sad reputation in town whether the owners realize it not.
Star View NOT recommended unless you have the same low standards of the owners. This was by far the worst value for money of any my winter condo rentals in the Caribbean of the last ten years. (Stayed in a condo at Sapphire Beach St Thomas same day. Clean, fully equipped, modern and... same price... right on the beach.No comparison.)
- Also Known As:
- Star Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Star Villas Hotel
- Star Villas St. John/Cruz Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- STAR VILLAS Affordable vacation rental villas with casual island ambience.If you are looking for accommodations in Cruz Bay but in a more affordable island setting, Star Villas is absolutely your best choice.Family owned and operated,we take a personal interest in each and every guest and provide you with the best possible accommodations at a very affordable rate. ... more less