“The Best of St. John” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 40 restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at the caneel bay resort
Grand Marais
“The Best of St. John”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

You will not find a better place to relax and dine on the island of St. John, unless it's Caneel Bay's other restaurant. Caneel Bay has a beautiful location and immaculate facility along with plenty of parking which you don't find easily on St. John.

We were able to make reservations more than 2 days in advance and we were not guests of the resort. We knew the prices would be expensive but didn't feel they were out of line with what other restaurants on the island were charging.

We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the friendly staff. I had a salad, lobster trio and delicious dessert while my husband enjoyed a beet salad and his meal of scallops.

A vacation to St. John should include a meal at Caneel Bay, treat yourself, it's worth it.

• Visited March 2013

85% Recommend
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Sugar Mill Restaurant @ Caneel Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Caneel Bay at the end of July. We ate at the Sugar Mill twice, and both times were a trip highlight. I am a vegatarian, and when I asked if there were any options other than what was on the menu, our waiter and the Chef went all out. The Chef, Shamoy Burton (I am not positive of the spelling) was beyond fantastic. He created a plate of about 5 different dishes, all creative and amazing. He is very talented. The waiter, Wayne Roberts, was a big part of the experience. He brought Shamoy over to meet us and it was like hanging out with good friends. The second time we ate there was even better, since they knew it was our final night of vacation.
I can't remember what my husband ordered (not vegetarian), but he was very pleased with it. Of course, he also enjoyed a taste of everything on my plate. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“Ok food, great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This restaurant is now called Sugar Mill.

The location is quite unique - in the old sugar mill on the Caneel Bay resort. It offered open air dining, with lovely views of the ocean and sunset over St. Thomas.

The food was a solid, good, meal... just not excellent. It was definitely expensive for what it was, but we expected that being on St. John. The view and ambiance make up for the food, in my opinion. I would suggest dining here one night.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Sugar Mill Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

On a visit to St. John, my husband and I dined at the Sugar Mill at CB. The atmosphere was great and the food was delicious. The price was to be expected. We were not overwhelming impressed with the service, however. The waitress had no idea if any of hte seafood was local and we practically had to beg her to ask the chef. She was unable to explain many of the dishes or the wine list. We made educated guesses and the food was quite good.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A really nice experience -- much better than its ranking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

To start with the obvious, Equator should be terrific -- it's one of the two higher end restaurants at Caneel Bay, which is the highest rated resort in the USVI. And it is.

On to the mystifying. Why the few/mediocre reviews? Best guess -- Caneel Bay has been messing with the name. Equator now seems to be called the Sugar Mill, but I couldn't find it to review under that name.

And now to the review. It's a great restaurant with marvelous ambiance, excellent views [from about 1/2 of the tables],and terrific food -- all at prices that are substantially lower than its competition [Asolare, ZoZo's and Cruz Bay Prime]. We had wonderful salads, awesome scallops, a tasty Roti and a delicious Thai Chicken, and all of them were $30-35, which is significantly below the prices for most entrees even at La Tapas. nice chocolate cake for dessert with a different and very tasty fruit compote. And parking is easy, which you can't say for the Cruz Bay eateries [though ZoZo's has valet parking and Asolare has enough parking outside the front gate]

The only real downside to Equator/Sugar Mill is that in order to make sure there is room for everyone staying at Caneel Bay they don't take reservations from non-guests until the day you want to eat. We had no trouble getting the time we wanted, though we did not get a table with a great view.

We hadn't been to Equator/Sugar Mill in several years. We'll be back next year.

• Visited December 2011