I travel to St John annually (sometimes more if I can) and typically stay in a villa with my family. A few months ago, my wife and I had a chance to sneak away to St John without kids, but only had five days. Villas require a week rental in most cases, so that was out, and we did not want to stay at the Westin or Caneel Bay because we would need a car and would be restricted to the resort for the most part.
We had seen Grande Bay being built over the years and decided to check it out. We were a little apprehensive at first becuase we have read about all the opposition to Grande Bay's development and impact on the community. We are believers that development on St John should be halted, but .we put our issues aside and decided to check Grande Bay out first hand.
We were very happy with our stay.
1. Great new apartment sized rooms with kitchen, living room, and bedroom. We just had a one bedroom but you could get a two or three bedroom.
2. Location was awesome! We love walking in to town to have dinner and enjoy all the festivities that take place in little Cruz Bay. We walked to Honeymoon, Solomon, and Caneel beeches, three of the days we were there. Great easy hikes on well marked trails that start right in town.
3. Easy to rent a car from resort concierge...One day we rented a car for the day and spent the morning in Coral Bay having brunch at Miss Lucy's, and then finished the day with some cheese and wine on Francis Bay and watched the sun set. The resort has its own covered parking garage...really nice.
4. Resort has free coffee and danish if you like in the AM. They have a fantactic excercise facility and a very nice sized pool if you just want to hang out and catch some sun at the resort. You could even walk just across a narrow street and sit on a beautiful beach right in front of the resort.
All in all, for the money it is a great place to stay...especially good for couples without kids.
One note...they are in the business of selling time shares. They were not pushy at all, but keep in mind that you most likely will be asked to check out their pitch. We didn;t.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Bay Hotel
- Grande Bay Hotel Cruz Bay
- Grande Bay Resort St. John/Cruz Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club is situated hillside overlooking Cruz Bay on St. John in the US Virgin Islands. Set near Wharfside Village, this St. John condominium resort overlooks the emerald and blue waters of Cruz Bay and St. Thomas to the east and the British Virgin Islands to the west. Offering nightly rentals (min. 2 nights) and fractional ownership opportunities in the heart of "Love City". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Tingo so you can book your Grande Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.