Last year we stayed in a VRBO unit with one bedroom (not lock out) for two of us. This year we rented a VRBO three bed/two bath unit and brought my parents. We enjoyed the convenience of both units - especially the full kitchen, washer dryer, and beach chairs, coolers, etc.. Liked the location for dining (my parents loved how close it was to the Catholic Church). Enjoyed the work out room and pool/hot tub. Loved the views from the units. Both times the units were in great working order and well stocked. Both times we stayed in the upper buildings. This is nice because it is a little quieter...but when you rent a car...it is so much harder to get up the hill into the parking lot - especially when it rains. A little scary when you are stuck spinning tires on the incline (I had to get out an push the jeep as my husband tried to steer). However, having parking in town is a great perk.
Hint...to access the upper buildings...use the elevators in the lower buildings.
I have been coming to St. John for over 12 years. I find Grand Bay to be my favorite place to stay. I have also stayed previously at the Westin and Gallows Point. I am not interested in staying in a villa or near the Westin since I want to be in Cruz Bay at night for dining, shopping, and walking around. I don't want to drive around the island at night seems dangerous enough during the day (watch out for goats, donkeys, deer, and cows walking in the road).
Got to see the Pan Dragon Christmas Concert this year...always a special show. Kind of funny, I saw them 10 years ago...when a lot of them were "baby dragons."
Just love this island...love the locals...love the beaches. But if you stay in Cruz Bay, be warned...you have to drive or catch a cab to the beaches...but it is worth it!!!!!
Expensive place to rent, but if you cook in a few times and pack lunches...it helps quite a bit. Also, consider bringing some dry goods in your suitcase. The local grocery store can be quite expensive for some items. We brought pancake mix, spaghetti, pringles, snacks, juice boxes etc. to save a few dollars. We did find a lot of useful stuff left behind by previous tenants too!
If you have any questions about planning a trip, drop me an email!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club is situated hillside overlooking Cruz Bay on St. John in the US Virgin Islands. Set near Wharfside Village, this St. John condominium resort overlooks the emerald and blue waters of Cruz Bay and St. Thomas to the east and the British Virgin Islands to the west. Offering nightly rentals (min. 2 nights) and fractional ownership opportunities in the heart of "Love City". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Grande Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Bay Hotel Cruz Bay
- Grande Bay Resort St. John/Cruz Bay