“Very good sandwiches and snacks” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Prince Edward Island
“Very good sandwiches and snacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped here on our last day in St. John and everyone really enjoyed the sandwiches we ordered. There was a large menu with many options to accommodate various preferences. There was also a variety of desserts, snack items, drinks and smoothies available.

We have read reviews of the attitude of the man behind the counter. Although we didn't experience any issues with him, we did note he seemed to have an attitude of indifference. We actually found this attitude at a few places on the island. Not necessarily rude or mean, just seemed to not put as much effort into customer service as we are used to seeing in Canada or the US.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

NYC
“NYC hero snobs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I know we're snobs so I'm sure that's most to do with it. The turkey salad was slimy and gross, not going into details buy my kids couldn't handle it either.

Visited April 2013
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Unbelieveable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Never in my life have I had an experience like this. My husband and friend tried this deli the first day in St. John (I was not with them) and said the guy behind the counter would not serve them breakfast at 7 minutes past 11 so they left. Okay, I get that. They are running a business and have to keep things on a schedule. They said he was a jerk but I thought that perhaps they were exaggerating. Later on in our trip we had the opportunity to eat Deli Grotto food without actually going there because they catered for a boat trip we took. The salads were excellent so we decided to give them another try. We figured we caught the guy on a bad day perhaps. Boy were we wrong. This time, we made sure we got there 20 minutes before 11 so that we could get breakfast. We waited in line for at least 15 minutes. The same man was behind the counter and he kept looking at the clock. He was rude to the people in front of us because they asked him a question about one of the drinks. When we got to him it was 5 minutes to 11 by my watch and 11 on the dot by his. When my friend ordered an omelet he snapped "Breakfast is over." We said "But it is 11 on the dot". He said "I don't care, breakfast is over." My friend's husband told him he was being a real jerk and very mean and that we specifically came here for breakfast. The man literally called him an a-hole and told us all to leave and never come back! All this over an omelet ordered at 11am!!! We could not believe it. He obviously does not care about his customers and must feel that because they do a hefty business (they are always busy) that he can afford to alienate anyone who dares to question his authority or his time keeping skills. Don't bother going here if you want to have a good day. He doesn't care and certainly won't go the extra mile to make your day / vacation pleasant. We drove down the road to Jake's which was delicious and the server was warm and friendly.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadel
“INEXCUSABLE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Jaw-droppingly awful attitude from the man taking customers' orders. From other reviews here that note similar experiences, I believe this is the owner. The deli itself looks very nice; based on that, we actually gave it a second try (maybe he was having an awful day?), and were met with the same rude, impolite service over a week later.

Life is too short to support people who don't appreciate their customers. Especially in a place like St John, where everyone is focused on a positive, peaceful life, this person and his business stand out - hi simply does not deserve your patronage. His attitude makes it clear that he doesn't care about his customers; he believes he's got plenty of business, apparently.

You'd do better to support any of the scores of other establishments in and around Cruz Bay that truly work to earn your business.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
chefsep, Owner at Deli Grotto, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
I am sorry that you think I have a bad attitude or don't care about my business. But the fact that when customers don't see what we are trying to do. I feel very bad when I try very hard to explain how it works at the Deli Grotto, if you were in then you know how truly busy we are there. We ask by signs posted to please have your orders ready when at the counter due the fact the the line is often almost to the door. While standing in line you have complete view of our menu boards to make your selections. It is a very difficult job to keep that line moving in order to be sure that ALL customers get their orders in and receive the food in a timely fashion. Every so often we get a group that has no idea what they want and hold the entire line up, if I try to move them along so the rest of the customers can order and keep moving this is the type of review I get. I only wish people would be concerned not only with themselves, but with the customers behind them in line.
littleton
“Love the Sandwiches!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a no-brainer.
Deli Grotto has been my go to place for sandwiches. Perfect to take with you for a day of island exploration. Sandwiches hold up well and are delicious.

• Visited May 2012