“Good for a night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Tamarind Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
You added Inn at Tamarind Court to your Saves list
Cruz Bay 00831, St. John   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
“Good for a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed here for a night before going on a 5 day kayaking/camping trip. The room was clean. The TV didn't work (but I wasn't there to watch TV). The bed was uncomfortable. If you aren't picky or like to save a buck, this is a fine place for a night or two. There is a really nice bar area that serves food too.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Connecticut, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The best things about the Inn at Tamarind Court are the price and the location. For accommodations on St. John, it is really hard to beat the rates here. If you just want a place to lay your head at night and would rather spend your money on other things, this property is a good choice. Also, the location is very convenient. The Inn is truly within an easy walking distance to Cruz Bay, the ferry, the restaurants/bars, two grocery stores, and taxis (to take you to the beach). Some places say they are in Cruz Bay, but practically speaking are not close enough for you to actually walk to and from the ferry, restaurant, bars, etc. (oddly- there are not enough side walks in St. John and so even if you are staying 1/2 mile from town...you can't walk up and down the hills on narrow roads without seriously endangering yourself). And since the location is so convenient, you really can go without renting a car if you stay here. The con for this location is that it can be loud. You'll hear loud radios in cars drive by all night, you can hear the bars down in Cruz Bay, and some of the neighbors also blast their stereos all day and night.

The actual rooms here are average (at best). I had a standard queen with a private bath. Room was clean and somewhat spacious, the a/c worked (but was old and very loud), decor was very sparse, windows are small/room is very dark, bathroom is small and very outdated, shower had hot water, mattress and linens are at least 10+ years old. So if you are good with camping, you'd be fine with this place...but if you are used to staying in Hiltons and Marriotts, you are probably going to be very disappointed.

I ate at the restaurant a few times for breakfast. The restaurant was mediocre- there are other, better options within walking distance for the same price that much nicer), and I never saw people eating dinner there (even though the Inn was fully booked).

The WiFi here is terrible. Very weak/spotty. Do not depend on it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Akron, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was the first time I stayed here and was quite pleased. I was looking forward to staying within walking distance to Cruz Bay at an economical price. Stephanie in the office was friendly and a pleasure to deal with when making reservations. She even made sure we knew where to get the beach towels and coolers when we were going to the beach. We made sure we got up early and had breakfast at the onsite restaurant whether the complimentary continental breakfast or something more on the menu. I wish we would have taken more advantage of the themed evening menu but that will be something to look forward to next time. Wifi worked well in the room and better in the court yard. I had originally planned to stay in one of the cool solo rooms but after a couple friends wanted to go we ended up in the queen room with the living room suite that easily accommodated the three of us. The room was clean and quiet though I must confess we did not spend much time in the room. The court yard/Restaurant was very relaxing and the bartender and servers were very friendly. I wish I remembered their names. All in all if you are looking for an affordable place to stay and experience Cruz Bay and the rest of St. John this is a great place. The taxis even brought us right back to the hotel after a day at the beach at no extra charge.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First of all, this place is not the Westin and you aren't paying those prices either. The bed was a little on the hard side but it served it's purpose. I was in my room to sleep and that was about it, so it was perfect...not in the sense that the accommodations were perfect but it suited my needs just fine. I was always out and about. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and that helped save money. I'm a single female in her 40s and traveled alone and walked around from the hotel, to the dive shop and Woody's, alone. Yes, there are locals out and about in the area, but guess what? It's part of the experience. I love to experience everything and take it all in. I do not like resorts and staying within the confines of one. One really nice islander man stopped me to talk to him and I have to say that was a very nice conversation and I actually left with a smile on my face. Really interesting, nice person. It is a small island and yes, there is some crime and some people smoking weed on the street, but just be smart about things as you would in any big city, even though it is a small island. I never was harassed by anyone and I felt safe walking from the hotel into the main area of Cruz Bay, which is not a far walk. I'd stay here again with no problems. The price was right and served it's purpose. Not once did I feel unsafe like another review stated. Another reviewer mentioned no deadbolts but I have to say, a lot of places I stayed at between Jost Van Dyke, St. Thomas and St. John didn't have a dead bolt. Just be smart and not paranoid and you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

For a 59 year old male solo traveler, this no-frill room adequately satisfied my needs for a couple days in St. John. While I promise that my wife would never have stayed at this place- the bar, location and restaurant made up for the rather austere cinder block room. The restaurant, which seemed to cater to a lot of local take-out orderers, felt comfortable and safe. The food was good, the mood friendly and the staff amiable. (the chili rellenos and chicken enchiladas were very good.)
Like hundreds of travelers daily, I left my phone charger in my room. Unlike most hotels, it only took one call to Stephanie, and my charger was returned to me by mail within a couple of days.
All in all, I'd go back. Even if I was staying somewhere else on the island, I'd consider stopping by the bar and restaurant for a meal.

Room Tip: I understand that some units share bathrooms. I had my own. If its important to you, you might chec...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Chino Hills, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

We can't say enough about our short stay at the Inn at Tamarind Court on St. John. Our room was clean and spacious and it is a great location right in town. No need for a car as almost everything is within a short walk. Management is attentive and aim to please. We will stay here again as we found it to be an exceptional value!!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Hackettstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

This small hotel is located just a few minutes out of the busy downtown area of Cruz Bay, i.e. within easy walking distance of ferry and beach etc. Our room was average size with an OK bathroom with a good size shower stall. Towels OK but not better. The window AC unit was noisy and rusty, but did cool the room. Overall this place has seen better days, and comes across a bit worn. Continental breakfast included was below average (a biscuit and a piece of fruit). Free internet. Laundromats on either side of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Tamarind Court? Share your experiences!