“Loud and Expensive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Tamarind Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
Cruz Bay 00831, St. John   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Aurora, CO
“Loud and Expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed three nights in off season in the single low cost rooms. Six rooms share two bathrooms in a dormitory style set up. Music from the restaurant can be heard starting at 7am till 9pm in the evening, so if you want to quiet you have to run the air or turn on the TV, neither were options as I came to the islands to escape these distractions. Food and drink are available but at a price, there were not even cups in the room to drink tap water and at $2.50 for bottled water, I stocked up on $1 water from the Dolphin Market up the street. So I will not be returning to this Inn again. There are other issues, but some what person preference. This may be a nice place for someone who likes to party or can afford a nice room. The location is central and easy to walk around town.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the restaurant area, ... the pricier ones.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

You can't beat the location if you're on foot on St. John, the staff is friendly, helpful and just plain fun! The rooms are basic, but clean and quiet. The restaurant is recommenced by locals all over the island. Yeah, you have to go to the courtyard to get the wifi, but its work it to hang out with the staff. When you're heading to the beach, you can use gear from their 'forgotten' snorkel bin or just grab a towel and head out. Casual,relaxed island fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been coming to the Inn at Tamarind Court since 1991 and we have stayed in the same room during the Christmas holidays for the last 15 years. Our children and their family have also joined us there on ocassion. Our only requirements are a clean room with ensuite bath with hot and cold water. We are out of the room and on our way to Cinnamon Bay by 8:30 and usually don't come back to it until after 5. We have seen it managed by three different sets of managers. We have also seen the managers try to stay on top of needed repairs but they are only managers and not the owners, who ultimately control the purse strings. Although we were quite happy with only a mini-fridge and no TV in the early years, I must say we have come to enjoy the TV in the morning before going to Cinnamon Bay for the day and in the evening after returning from Cinnamon Bay and dining at one of the restaurants in Cruz Bay.

While the Queen room remains basically the same the difference from our initial years is much better. The showers are strong with very hot water. The replacement furniture reminds us of the islands, as it should. The AC unit was replaced a couple of years ago but we don't use it anyway. An screened open window and overhead fan is adequate. It gets quite comfortably cool at night.

Reading many of the reviews I can't help but wonder what some people expected on a tropical island in the way of prices for a clean, comfortable room that is cleaned daily by very delightful ladies who I have had leave the money I placed on top of the fridge as a tip because it was not in an envelope designated as a tip.

If I have a problem with anything in the room (not very often) I talk to the maintenance man or office and it is fixed, parts permitting, by the time we return from the beach.

I have the Continental breakfast every morning and find it adequate to start my day. Always a basket of jelly/butter available and all the coffee I can drink. I can't remember ever having a nasty experience with the bartender. Even though the Continental comes with the room don't forget to leave something for the bartender, that might get you a nasty look the next time. I always get a cup of coffee to take up to my wife in the room and a bucket of ice when leaving breakfast to put in our little lunch bag that we take to the beach. No problem there.

The one request I would make to management is to upgrade the wifi to an outside antenna. The router is inside a concrete structure and the signal on the second floor, even facing the office, is minimal and often drops out, even though I have an amplified antenna on my computer. It is great in the courtyard but it would be nice to use my computer in the room in my pjs.

Granted, being 22 year customers, we are readily recognized by the management and soon get to know the bartenders, some who are new each year. Maybe we do get some better sevice, but that is the management's perogative. As previously stated in this review, in 22 years we have never had a bad experience with the staff. A little civility goes a long way! They may be a bit late once in a while, but, hey, it is an island and it is on island time and you should be on vacation and not living by a watch.

We have already made our reservations for the 2012-2013 Christmas holidays. Amazingly, the rates have remained the same for several years. (The island hotel taxes may have gone up but the room rates have stayed the same, at least for the room we stay in.)

Come and give Tamarind a try! A lot of people from Cinnamon Bay stay there before they can get into the campground and/or after they have to leave the campground to catch their plane back to the real world.

Room Tip: There are two buildings. One is two stories with ensuite rooms and one has rooms with bathrooms down...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Granted I was a solo traveler with a shared bathroom and twin size bed, but to pay $75 a night anywhere on St. John during high season is unheard of. I stayed for 4 nights and my experience at Tamarind was great. It’s a pretty unique place with a cozy and completely unpretentious vibe. And the location is top notch. Just a 5 minute walk down the street and you're in the center of Cruz Bay with all the great restaurants, shops, lots of jeep rental places, a small supermarket, etc. The courtyard of the inn includes a bar/restaurant and they serve excellent food with good service. Almost almost every night dinner has a theme to it - Mexican, bistro, etc. However, what I especially liked was the breakfast - the heartiest omelets and great blueberry pancakes. My first night there they had a live band playing in the courtyard. As for the room itself, it was very small and basic but who goes to somewhere like St. John to spend all their time at their accommodation?!? I had all I needed - a bed, clean linens and towels every day, and an AC (a TV as well, but didn’t watch it). Even though the bathroom was shared with two other rooms, it felt like I had my own private bathroom because it was right across the hallway from my room and not once did I have to wait to use it. I'm so happy I chose the Tamarind for my accommodation....the next time I'm in St. John I definitely know where I’m staying!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Basic room, but comfortable and clean; good location close to restaurants and ferry; friendly people; excellent dinner food by a variety of guest chefs. This hotel was one of the cheapest that we could find on St.John.

• Stayed January 2013
Seymour
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I laugh at all the negative reviews here. If you don't understand St. John, you are better suited to stay at the Westin. If you want a true island experience, with a central location for everything - the Tamarind Inn is for you. We stay here each year before our sailing charter. The staff is what really makes the experience. This year, we had lots of travel difficulties due to weather. On arrival, the staff welcomed us by name. To this day, the only way I can understand that they did that was by recognizing my voice as there were multiple guest arrivals that day. During our entire stay, we were taken care of like family - again, the reason we stay is because of the staff. We have stayed here for a few years now, and this year I felt compelled to write a letter to the management to let them know what great staff they have employed. In a world where so many complain, I feel it's important to let management know when they have employees that really go above and beyond to make the experience. I want to see the Tamarind Inn do well, but at the same time, I hope that some of the poor reviews here direct the city folk and those that just don't get it towards the Westin. The Tamarind is for those that love and understand St. John.

On another note - the Tamarind Inn is basically right across the street from the St. John Animal Care Center. If you are an animal lover and not familiar with this organisation - check them out. The Tamarind Inn is a perfect location to have a nice breakfast and then go volunteer some time to help walk some of the great dogs there.

The Tamarind is all about the people, the staff, and the vibe. We couldn't think of staying somewhere else. The Tamarind is a big part of our annual vacation, and I hope that it will continue to be.

As I write this review, I have already booked my 2013 sailing charter, and can only hope that the staff is the same for our next trip. We can't wait to return "home" to the Inn at Tamarind Court.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

For $75, you will get a room half of which is occupied by a bed that is too short. You will also have a tv (if that's what you are going there for). Walls are made of paper, you will hear everything you don't want to. For $130, you get a spacious room with a double bed, but the toilet doesn't flush, the door doesn't open etc.

Continental breakfast means a biscuit with two slices of fruit. They say that coffee/decaf and jelly/butter is also included, but it you take a second butter (10 g)/second cup of coffee, you will get ugly looks. Impertinent me dared to take 3, you can imagine... Not spending your money in their restaurant (3-egg omelette for $10 etc.) will make them VERY rude. I paid almost $800 for 8 nights and never got a useful answer to any of my questions (Where is good snorkeling? "Everywhere." Where do I find turtles? "Everywhere." Can I take the bus to Cinnamon Bay? "No." (which is not true, but I guess they have some cab driver buddies) etc.) Last day, I wanted to have this so-called breakfast that is supposedly served from 7-11, at 7, and the bartender, who appeared at 7:10 to start opening up, was so upset as if I was hitting the table at 6:30. Btw. I was not hitting the table, just standing there and waiting patiently. I have asked her if I could leave my 2 pieces of luggage there for a few hours: she opened a cabinet and said ''You can leave your RETARDED luggage here''. Apart from asking for ice every morning to keep my medication cool, this was the only thing I asked for; I left in the morning quietly, returned in the evening quietly, and slept until morning quietly.
The only exception is Kurt (or Kirk?), the maintenance guy, who was nice.

Room Tip: If you want nature, maybe try Maho or Cinnamon Bay Camps. Maho is definitely cheaper. But if you are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Inn at Tamarind Court? Share your experiences!