“Pretty Good for the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
North Carolina
“Pretty Good for the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We did a lot of online research looking for an affordable hotel in St. John. While $175 is much more than we've ever paid anywhere for lodging, on St. John this seems to be considered a "budget" price. Considering that, the St. John Inn is pretty good for a budget hotel. Our room was clean, but very small. There was nowhere to sit and if we wanted to use the air conditioning, we couldn't open the "crank out screened windows." We had five windows that we never opened, so couldn't stand to spend much time in the room. During non-sleeping hours, we spent most of our time on the deck or at the pool (very small). The staff was very nice and helpful. Happy Hour and breakfast are held on a very nice, large deck, which gives you a change to meet other visitors and compare notes about things to do. The St. John Inn bills itself as having Wifi, but it did not work in my room, and worked only occasionally on the deck. It is in a convenient location. As far as it being "seedy" as one reviewer says, it is no worse that most of the rest of the town.. It is convenient to restaurants and within walking distance of two beaches. The thing about St. John is that you have to adjust your standards and realize that while $175 is a lot of money, it's only a small fraction of what you'd pay at the resorts. I would recommend to others as long as they understand they're getting a budget hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I realize the standard of living, and I guess vacationing in St. John is low, at least in terms of what you should expect for your money in terms of your hotel room. But, St. John Inn is exceptional, and not in a good way. In all of my travels I have never paid so much for so little. The room (a suite at 240 dollars a night) is little more than disgusting. Paint is chipping, the bathroom was filthy, the towels smelled. The mattress was thoroughly stained and the couch was filthy. It was uncomfortable to sleep there. The breakfast is a joke, with cream cheese left tout to curdle and other "camp like" amenities left in plastic bins for days. The little pool in back is half empty and disgusting. Even if the owners of this dump didn't want to spend more money in maintaining this place, they could at the very least put a coat of paint in places and tuck in some wiring. The pictures they have on their website look NOTHING like the rooms. I know it's difficult finding places to stay in St. John, but really there are inn's everywhere, just not on the major travel sites, or even here for some reason. Keep looking, or if you really have trouble, stay in St Thomas where there are many more options. For the amount that this place costs you can stay in 4 star accommodations elsewhere in the Caribbean. This place is horrible.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

A year ago I started a tradition of doing 1 10 day trip a year where I go by myself to get my head clear and appreciated relaxation as much as possible. The St. John In provided that to me. Since I returned home I have still be in a completely mellow mood courtesy of the paradise that was provided to me for my 10 day stay.

The staff was amazing. When I looked at other reviews that was one of the things that pushed me towards this hotel. They delivered. One nice thing about the hotel is that you will get the opportunity to meet the owners as well as the two on site personnel that help to manage the property. They are very knowledgeable about St. John and St. Thomas. Everything they recommended to me for eating, beaches, night life, or transportation was spot on which really made the trip easy going. You also can't beat the free breakfast and happy hours that was included with the stay either. As I was leaving they installed Direct TV - so if you are into following sports from home like I am it was awesome to get some ESPN back in my life.

The location is about as good as it comes for island travel. There are resorts in the Virgin Islands but you are going to pay over $500 a night and not be close to anything. The St. John Inn is literally a 5 minute walk from the ferry which is an affordable and easy way to travel while you are over there. My favorite beach while I wasin St. John (other than Jost Van Dyke) was Solomon's Beach which was about a 15 minute walk through a trail in the woods. You also have Cruz Bay right there with all of the bars and restauarants. The location could not be more convenient and it is a gift to the traveler's staying there that they do not charge a premium for that convenience.

I had never been to the islands before this trip so I had only heard about the beaches and their beauty. Next to the hotel you will find Solomon, Honeymoon, and Caneel (walking distance). On the island you will hear of other ones like Hog's Nest, Turtle Bay, and Cinammon. All of these beaches are convenient to get to, as beautiful as they come, and you will be easily directed there by the staff.

If you are looking for nightlife there is no shortage of it in Cruz Bay, although the weekends were a little bigger than the weekdays. Larry's lets you pour your own drinks. Quiet Mon has a nice outdoor seating situation. Woody's is apparently pretty popular with the tourists. If you walk to Mongoose Junction you will also find the place where they brew St. John's beer and it is delicious. Everything is an easy walk.

All in all I found the St. John Inn to be perfect. I was looking for peace and relaxation and obtained that with ease during my stay. It was definitely the right choice for my vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Burlington, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My husband and I booked the St. John Inn after finding it on the Internet. It looked very charming, and seemed to be a quiet little spot for the end of our 2 week vacation (we sailed for 10 days in the BVI's).

When we arrived, the Inn turned out to be horrific. It was in a seedy area of town, and the walking trip there was not pleasant (directions were also poor). The room designated to us was in a ground level location, and the walk to it showed how poorly the place was maintained (gate broken, steps should have been replaced). Worse yet, the room was exceptionally small, and had no window at all (it was completely covered over by an air conditioner). The TV didn't work (they offered a 10% discount), and the door to the outside didn't close properly. The room was so bad that we felt we didn't want to spend our last three nights of vacation in such a dump.

We felt that the owners had completely misrepresented the accomodations on the internet. While we knew that we wouldn't get our deposit back, we asked for the remaining amount owing to be cancelled. The St. John Inn refused and told us we were lucky since they gave us a 10% discount due to the fact that the TV also didn't work in the room.

The bottom line - don't book at the St. John Inn. Above all, don't sign VISA invoices until you actually get a tour of the room - this was our big mistake.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

We arrived late in the evening and were just looking for a place to rest and get cleaned before renting a vehicle to explore the island (and stay elsewhere) the next day. This was the first place that wasn't more than $200 and had availability.

Room was spacious at its best. Shower water pressure was a big dissapointment. Breakfast was nice. Employees (not locals) were refreshingly nice to deal with and helfpul.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

First off, I would go back again without any hesitation. The Inn is owned by a very nice couple who have had it for about a year. Very nice and very present. Caught the owner doing roof repairs himself one day at 5pm.

The location is very good. Only a 10 minute walk to the downtown. Less than 5 to the grocery store. A couple of comments have been made about safety in other posts. Between the main street and the inn are a couple of local restaurants with outdoor patios. These are very local restaurants with locals enjoying dinner. I can see if you are not from a multicultural city, you may be intimidated (PC enough?); having stopped by for a beverage on my own, I can tell you there is nothing to worry about.

The rooms are in decent condition. Recently painted, well cleaned. Just some of the artwork and furniture is tired.

Having stayed in many small and inexpensive hotels throughout Hawaii and the Islands, I can say that this place is very good. It is expensive when compared to the mainland; however compared to other Island properties, it is very fairly priced.

If you are looking for a place to sleep after a day of hiking (try the Reef Bay Trail), snorkeling or beaching, and are looking for a clean bed and friendly staff, this is the place to stay. If you want to be pampered with attitude, go to the Weston.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Leesport, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

We went over to the Westin for the day and the atmosphere I felt was a bit uptight. We spend a lot of time at the beach and staying at the Inn reminded us of being in the beach house – that no worry feeling. Would definitely stay at the Inn again!! Ask for one of the adjoining rooms. The rooms inside by the office are a bit small.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to St. John Inn? Share your experiences!