“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 47 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: With a palatable menu sure to satisfy anyone's hunger, Virgin Fire is an amazing option for a night out on the town in Cruz Bay, St. John. Come and join us today upstairs in Mongoose Junction!! If interested in coming in for dinner, call ahead for seating or a reservation for parties of 5 persons or more.
rochester ny
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We dined at this restaurant while in St. Johns in March. We requested a table on the outdoor porch and were accomodated promptly. I have seen reviews stating the service was slow but that was not the case. The waiter was excellent and the food fantastic. The table was great as you had a view of the entire area.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Denton, Texas
“Lots of Fancy Decorations....not much else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I were on our 3rd visit to St John in early May of this year. We always have a nice dinner before heading back home as a way to celebrate our adventures in St John. This year we chose the fairly new "Virgin Fire" in Mongoose junction at Cruz Bay. The interior was a blaze with etched glass and neon signage, a very fancy bar area and lots of patio seating. We were excited about choosing this place. Kristin was our server and she was very polite and gave us plenty of attention. My wife ordered the Jerked, bone in ,pork chops with mashed potato, and I decided to try the fish and chips, with mango cole slaw.Trouble started right away when my fish was severd to me undercooked! When I brought this to the attention of our waitress, she promptly returned it to the kitchen then brought me the same piece of fish back, re-fried....huh? In my humble opinion a good restaurant needs to make that mistake right, a new piece of fish, a comped dessert, anything, What did the manager and wait staff do, ...nothing. Just throw it back in the deep-fry and bring it back to my table. My appetite was gone about then. My wife said her pork chop was tasty but my mood had turned. To add insult to injury our wait staff started smack talking our home state when we told her we were from Texas. That pretty much made me turn sour on the whole experience. This place was not cheap we paid a $80 tab for the two us with a tip!! I was not happy with my meal or our service. We will not go back and we will not recommend this place to our many travel friends..sorry guys but you have to be more professional than that, we come from a city, D/FW, that prides itself on quality of food and service. I found neither at Virgin Fire.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thanks so much for the review, and we're really glad you and your wife enjoyed certain aspects of the experience, the ambiance and the service. When I read about how the error in the preparation of your meal, I think I was more disappointed that you were. As an owner, you hope that your values are reflected in the minute to minute behavior of your staff, and that you've done a good job training people to understand how to approach a situation like this. In this case, clearly I have failed, and while there is no excuse, we do want to apologize for what occurred.

As a result of your review, we're requiring a manager or owner to be personally involved with any guest complaint. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction and, within reasonable limits, we guarantee it. We've reiterated this to our staff, and discussed it at length.

We encourage guests to ask for a manager at any time during the dining experience, just to chat, or to help us, as this reviewer has, become the kind of restaurant we aspire to.

Thanks

Michael, VF proprietor
Austin, Texas
“Well worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Ate here our first night and was pleasantly satisfied. We ate late and had 8 people but, the servers made us feel special and even stayed beyond normal work hours as we completed our meals. We felt the food was well prepared, fairly priced and very good. The highlight of our meal though was the salt block appetizer, wow, I would go back just for that. Great decor and ambiance. Recommend enjoying a meal here, we will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Slow service, pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I gave the restaurant four stars despite slow service and a pricey menu (even for St. John) because the food was absolutely delicious. I got the ribs (which, to be honest, were a bit fatty, but I didn't mind) and the barbeque sauce was fabulous (on the sweet side). I swapped out the fire fries for the house made chips, which turned out to be some kind of cheesy potatoes which were delicious. My husband was not as happy. He ordered the mahi, which came with veggies and a butternut squash puree. When I saw the waiter deliver his food, I knew he wouldn't be happy. There was a very small (very small!) piece of fish atop a small mound of veggies surrounded by a thin layer of butternut squash puree. I gave him half my ribs and then he felt full. Just be forewarned that some of the portions are more artistic than plentiful. I would go again, though. I enjoyed the evening and the live music.

Visited May 2014
Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi S--

Thanks for the four stars and the notes. The mahi dish is very popular because it is very light: it's fresh local mahi-mahi on a bed of fresh vegetables on a layer of butternut squash puree, with a coconut ginger lemongrass sauce. The portion is just under a half pound, not sure if we missed the mark here, but will check it. So it's kind of a knowing what to get issue. With so many people looking for fresh and light alternatives, you might see more entrees without carbs in more places.

Our menu is very accessible and eclectic. We have small plates: sliders: (paella, beef & crab cake), and bar food. Local organic greens and a wedge salad.

We have a 3/4 LB Ribeye Steak with demi glace, au gratin potatoes, and fresh vegetables, Tamarind BBQ Ribs and a Fish Fry. For vegetarians, the Eggplant Napoleon is a winner. We have beautiful fresh tuna, seared in the pan. Something for everyone.

On price, I can tell you that all of St. John's restaurant prices are inflated by the cost of power in the Virgin Islands. It's among the highest in the world. Distribution is also expensive. So we're doing out best to provide a value for our guests.

Thanks. Good notes help us to learn and improve and we appreciate you taking the time to do the review.

Michael, VF proprietor
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Looks cool, but food is lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The restaurant has a great look. Cocktail menu is fun, but food is nothing special, especially for the price. I'd skip it.

Visited April 2014