“was terrible...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 39 restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Description: Virgin Fire Bar & Grill serves contemporary caribbean cuisine in a comfortable and beautiful dining room.
Andover, Massachusetts
“was terrible...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

just spent 3 weeks in st. john. 9 of us decided to try virgin fire. when we arrived, the hostess indicated they might not have room but then the manager figured out a way to seat us, which turned out to be very unfortunate as they failed to warn us they were sold out of almost everything on their menu. we ended up with burgers and flat bread, both of which were marginal. service was poor! manager did manage to apologize but the responsible thing would have been to inform us they had no food before seating us and taking a drink order.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hi John

Thanks so much for the review, and of course, we wish we had performed better. While there is no excuse for what occurred, I can offer our apologies and and explanation.

I was serving as manager but had no idea of the status of the kitchen when in my zeal to serve your party of 9, I seated you. Knowing what I know now, I would not have. I did and do apologize for any of the inconveniences we caused. We discussed your visit at length the next day, and as a result we reorganized our kitchen staff and implemented systems that will help us to prepare the correct quantities of food. We're very serious about issues like these, and have taken the right steps to correct the deficiency.

Should you have the opportunity to revisit the restaurant, I would personally guarantee an excellent experience and I encourage you to contact me privately should this be possible.

Thanks,
Michael, VF Proprietor

78% Recommend
Kittery Point, Maine, United States
“Heaven fits on a fork!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We come to St. John every March, and were excited to see a new restaurant with good reviews; we had dinner there last night. Honestly, it was the best meal I have ever had, not just on the island but in general. Everything was amazing. It started with our server, Sara, who was warm, friendly, genuine, and attentive. We were seated outside, in a corner table against the railing; perfect for the view and privacy. My wine (the Cabernet) was delicious, and my husband loved his Painkiller. We were feeling daring so we had the Himalayan Salt Block as an appetizer; it was out of this world and fun, too. Sara was great about walking us through what to do. I had the mahi for my entree; I was told it was caught that day and I believe it. It was fresh, fresh, fresh, perfectly seasoned, and served atop a bed of pureed squash that was so good I think I moaned out loud on my first fork full! :) My husband had the jambalaya which was delicious as well; different than other jambalaya in that it is not swimming in a pool of broth. We loved the flavor; I will say the chicken in it was a bit overdone but it really wasn't enough to detract from the otherwise amazing meal. We managed to save room for the creme brulee, and thank goodness we did because it's the best I've ever had and I consider myself an expert! This experience proved to us that heaven really does fit on a fork! I can't recommend this place enough, and don't be swayed by the very early reviews. They just opened, for goodness sake, and every new place has it's bumps. We did not experience any bumps at all, and all the staff clearly wants this place to succeed. I love seeing that; an engaged work force says a lot about the owner. Anyway, we'll be back, and thank you to everyone who made our night island perfect!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michael B, Owner at Virgin Fire Bar & Grill, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
We're so glad you enjoyed and thanks for taking the time to write this very enthusiastic review. We have found an amazing group of people, who genuinely enjoy people and enjoy serving them. From the dishwashers on up, they come to work smiling and ready, and it shows. The first few months in a restaurant are full of bumps in the road. Even with the best of intentions, there are gaffs, and the staff has to bear the burden of them. This is something that I can never thank them enough for. As we gain confidence, and learn how best to be of service, we'll only get better with time. Again, our thanks!
New York City, New York
“Great food and drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I went there for dinner with myself, my husband and another couple. The food was great and the drinks were even better. Very fairly priced. The only negative to this place is that if you sit inside you could be eating just about anywhere...it lacks the island feel. Try to get seated outside and you won't regret your meal!

Visited March 2014
Connecitcut
“Fantastic meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great service, nice view, pleasant staff. The mahi mahi I had was superb! A nice ginger glaze and served over butternut squash...sounds weird but tasted amazing. My husband loved his Tuna, cooked just the way he liked it...just seared. I will go back if ever on St. John again

Visited March 2014
“Go for happy hour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We excited to find a new restaurant this year. We saw the sign for 1/2 price appetizers from 4-6. I consider this a cost effective way to test out a new restaurant. We took over the bar and tasted everything on the appetizer menu. The spring rolls were excellent, we loved the flatbread pizza, artichoke hearts, prawns and everything else. We went back a second time for dinner and I loved the salt block cook at your table small plate. The prices are reasonable which is rate on St John. Definitely give this restaurant a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere