“Still like it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
irvine , CA
“Still like it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

This was our third time at the Westin St. John. A little nervous because of the mixed reviews and we hadn't been in four years. First--we love the island and like the hotel.
THe hotel needs some updating which they are working on now. THe grounds are beautiful, the pool spectacular and clean, always a lounge chair. The deli and pool side bar are great for breakfast and lunch--the sit down restaurants are not great but they just bought on board a new director of food that is coming from someone good in the states (I forgot where now) and his food will debut in August so it should improve.

The kids had a great time--so much for them to do.

The rooms are clean and the beds are great.

I travel all over for business and stay at Westin pretty consistently. This hotel isn't modern but it is still a great vacation!

• Liked — Location and pool
  • Disliked — food choices
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Bay Shore, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

Of course we read all the reviews, and we chose this hotel because there really is nothing else to choose from in St John, and we are Platinum Guests in their program. However, we of course did NOT get the upgrade, and so paid almost 600/night for a room that is just slightly better then a Howard Johnson, and had to suffer through a sales pitch for timeshares for that price, to boot! Be aware of this hotel's surcharges. Resort fee $25/day, ferry pass $85 pp, room tax, and so forth. Service was near non-existant. Rooms are in dire need of updating.
On the positive side, the beach is nice (although you might want to check out the other beaches on the island - gorgeous!), the grounds are gorgeously landscaped and well maintained, and the food is not bad (skip the buffet in favor of a la carte).
The place was crowded although we were there out of the season. Lots of mosquito's - more then Belize! And that is saying something. There are NO screens, and your only option is to sleep with everything closed at night. The A/C is loud. Alltogether, not a place we would go back to. For this kind of money, I'd rather go to the Ocean Club.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

After booking our vacation here with my husband to celebrate a "special"birthday, I became quite unnerved by the poor reviews on ths site. As time went on, it was even more confusing to try and get a handle on why there were SUCH mixed reviews, almost as though people were staying in two different places, one was moldy and dirty and the other was quite lovely??!! They only explanation that I can arrive at is that some rooms have clearly been renovated while others have not....but this is only my guess.

In any case, OUR EXPERIENCE AT THE WESTON WAS GREAT!!!
We stayed in a Pool View Room (Bldg 14) and the room was very nice! It had what appeared to be a brand new bath room which was beautiful, complete w/ Heavenly Shower. The room decor was very attractive and the Heavenly Bed was great!!There was a nice size balcony w/ 2 chairs and a table.

Airport CheckIn - excellent!! Saved time, veru pleasant staff. Nice A/C waiting room provided while waiting for the taxi to head to the ferry. No need to go to a front desk once you arrive to the hotel!!

Westin Ferry -excellent! Cool cloths and free bottled water provided on board. Good value, because you can use the ferry back and forth to St Thomas all during your stay with free transportation into the shopping district.
Luggage arrived promptly to our room (30min.)

Pool - one of the greatest we've experienced at a hotel, considering you get to float on free mats, noodlesfloats for kids. Able to get lounge chairs without a hassle up until midmorning even though weather was fantastic.

Staff -friendly, helpful. I called for extra towels and they came immediately.

Also, my travel agent managed to include on the reservation that it was to celebrate a birthday. I had a nice card and a stuffed toy turtle waiting in the room when I arrive and later they sent chocolate covered strawberries as a '"birthday treat"!! Both things were very gracious and quite unexpected!
In our opinion, and we travel alot and expect alot for our travel dollar....the Westin St John. was GREAT!!

• Stayed July 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Just finished our time share week at the Westin St. John. This year, My wife and I were able to make the trip alone, so it was like a second honeymoon. We were able to try some new restaraunts, take the vacation a little more slowly, and enjoy the island on our own terms.

Some important information.
There are lots of car rentals on the island, but a lot of them are not interested in doing their job. I rented from Paris car rental this time. Nice enough, but at the time I returned the car the lady asked me to clean sand out of the car. The sand in the car, was not excessive, no worse than the sand in the car when I received it, I was under the impression the cars were cleaned before the next user. Apparently they are not. The car had the clear instrument cover damaged from some sort of chemical(not easily readable), the car was dirty inside, but she wanted me to clean the car inside before I returned it. Well, I will not use them again. The suzuki Grand Vitara is a nice size for the island.

Balcony restaraunt- Nice place to eat. Get reservations around 6:30, and you will be treated to a nice sunset while you enjoy dinner. appetizers, salads, fish, beef- ~($75.)

ZoSo's- Waitstaff is aggressive- they push the wine list($$), and the meals are expensive. I had osso bucco, my wife had pork chop- Good food, and the waitstaff is plentiful, so you may like it... We found it a little too pushy, and it cost us (~$108) for two people.

Lime Inn- What can I say? Great time, full meal, and drinks, about ($75.) Nice value in the middle of the shopping area in St. John. Parking is provided with a smile from slimman's lot(fairly new) for around $5. in the evening, a great value.

Chloe, and Bernards(westin)- Very nice, as good as any on the island. Pricey

Westin hotel restaraunt- Very pricy for what you get. Plan on going there only for convenience, not a culinary delight- Breakfast buffet is ($22. each), and there is no amount of service that can make it worth it. No value. period. Westin, drop your prices, and stop being ridiculous. Enough said?

The Westin ferry does cost a lot($65.) BUT- the ticket is good for the entire week. So, you can use during the week, because the real shopping values are in St Thomas. If you suffer from motion sickness, take medicine before you go. The crew cannot help the conditions. About 30 Min. StThomas to StJohn.

Taxis may seem expensive, but they are plentiful, and if you do not rent a car, you will need to take advantage of them to get around town, and to the beaches. If you compare, the taxis are cheap, compared to renting a car.($430.00 for the week).

We like the beaches, Any pick is a good one. That is what we did most of the time, is beach hop all day. Do not think you can survive the sun unprotected. You will fry. Get a good lotion, and re-apply often, so you can enjoy the whole week. This is the most common mistake, and will determine your mood. (red is bad.)

Trunk Bay- We have been going for 4 years, and I think this beach has actually improved each year. Lots of marine life, and the ($4.)cost is trivial. Snack shack serves food, drinks, and alcohol. Please respect the beach, throw away your own garbage, and don't leave your cig butts in the sand- only pigs do that..

Hawksnest- I prefer this beach to trunk, but it is your call. Basic bathrooms, and lots of room.

Some nice places... A simple feast, mongoose junction, Starfish Market, Westin Pool Bar(BEST pina coladas on the island-$7.25each)

The people of the island are great. They are helpful, and remember, they are not your slaves. Treat them well, and you will have a great time.

• Stayed July 2006
new castle, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

We stayed at the Westin for the second year in a row and I will not return until I hear they are refurbishing. In 2005 we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom townhouse (gold starwood)
member and although the room was a hike from the everything it was very large and well appointed. This year we stayed in a poolside room which was very convenient but in need of a major overhaul. I may be spoiled after our accomodations last year but this was a huge dissappointment. I agree that you have to leave the hotel (alot) to enjoy this great island and others that are close by. The bathrooms are outdated and dirty as well as the rooms. They also smell so musty that even the clothes that were not worn had to be washed when we returned as they smelled terrible when I opened my suitcase to unpack. We had to beg for handtowels everyday and then they would bring us two. The hotel restaurants are adequate for lunch but do yourself and favor and explore many of the wonderful ones the island has to offer. The town is so fun to walk around at night after dinner as well. The day trips are a great idea but bring your passport to go to the BVIs. The Kids Club is also a great idea. My son loved it and the staff is wonderful. The gym is also a bonus with the numerous amount of equipment however it needs cleaned. I don't think it was cleaned at all the entire week we were there. Please update this hotel so I don't have to go to Caneel Bay and be without a TV for a week. ( not tvs at Caneel).

• Stayed February 2006
Palisades
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I was very nervous about staying at the Westin St. John given the reviews here. I had a mixed experience at this hotel. I tried in advance to get a sense of the hotel and the activities before we went....should we rent a car? what sights should we see? what reservations did I need to make before we arrived? The people at Starwood were not at all helpful. The ideas that I got for things to do came from the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor and reading travel books.
There are some positive things about the Westin. The check-in at the airport in St. Thomas is really handy and the little ferry that takes you directly to the Westin property on St. John is also handy (but expensive $80 round trip/person). We checked in at the airport with Aaron who was really nice and helpful. He put us on the little bus to the ferry dock. The ferry was supposed to leave at 4:30. The ferry did not show up at the dock until 5:15. For us it was a small annoyance but for those families with kids (there are A TON at this hotel!) it must have been awful to have been traveling all day and then be stuck with no snack, water, etc. There was a little bar and shop at the dock but still....frustrating.
The check-in process was very smooth - they pick you up at the little dock and take you right to your room. My advice would be to keep your bags with you so that you can change into your swimming suit and head down to the pool right away! If you let them deal with your bags it will be an hour or more until you see them. (or pack your suit in your carry-on).
We decided to rent a car while on St. John (which I would recommend b.c the pool at the Westin is great, if crowded, but the beach is NOT very nice when you compare it to the likes of Trunk Bay, Lameshur, etc.) So we ambled on over to the car rental place on the Westin property. Well, they were all out. Annoying since I tried to book one with the starwood people before hand. But the concierge found us one in town. Expect to pay $60 + $10 (insurance)/day for a small little two-door jeep with no radio. You could get a nice Wrangler for about $85.
We went all over the island. I HIGHLY recommend going down the road to Haulover Bay. Stop at Vie's Snack Shack for some yummy conch fitters and coconut tart made by Vie's sister. Vie's backyard is a beautiful little beach in a small cove. For $2.50 you can get on the beach and they have beach chairs and a little kayak. One of the prettiest beaches on St. John.
The snorkeling is great on St. John. Definitely go to Trunk Bay and do the underwater sign-posted snorkel tour. Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach. The snack bar is actually really good there, although watch out for the crazed seagulls!!
The food at the Westin is not really that great. They lost our breakfast order one morning and it took an hour to come. It cost $55 dollars for an omelette and pancakes!!! One nice thing is that you will a little fridge in your room and I would visit the Starfish Market in Cruz Bay for some little snacks, etc.
Another thing that was great at the Westin was Cruz Bay Watersports. We rented a little zodiac ($145 for a full day 9 am - 4 pm) and went all over and snorkeled at all the beaches. The Cruz Bay people were really helpful and nice.
The pool at the Westin is really nice. The bugs are pretty wicked at the Westin b/c it was built not all that long ago on what was a huge swampland. The pool is pretty crowded with kids. This is not the place for a honeymoon!! There is not peace and quiet by the pool.
A couple of restaurant reviews. The Lime Inn - pretty good food but plastic chairs....don't get the pasta - get the lobster. The Fish Trap - incredible seafood chowder and conch fitters.
The Sun Dog Cafe (Lunch) - AWESOME. Upstairs at Mongoose Junction. Really yummy pizza's and sandwiches.
La Tapa - THE BEST MEAL WE HAD! Great ambiance, amazing paella, and chocolate cake.
The Westin and Caneel Bay are really the two only lux hotel on St. John and I would have to say that I would stay at Caneel next time.
Hope this helps!!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

My husband and I went for our honeymoon June 4-9. It was overall a good trip but not a trip we would do again. This trip was our first experience with the Caribbean so we didn't really know what to expect. We chose the Westin over the Sandals all inclusives because we thought it wouldn't be honeymoon central, which we were very pleased with.

Westin Rooms: need updating like nobodies business. We were informed by our travel agent that we were getting this wonderful room. Our room did have a sorta view of the ocean but the front wall of the hotel room was glass and the sun beat in all day. If we were in the room we had the curtains closed due to the heat and the privacy. The bed was heavenly but that was it. Besides the bed, it looked like the Holiday Inn Express to me. The air conditioner didn't work well either and it was VERY hot when we were there.

Westin Food: pricey, expensive, not worth it. We did have good meals but paid out the ying yang for it. The serive was fine. We weren't eager to rush so the slower island time didn't bother us. Our first night we ate at the beach restaurant and were served rolls that were HARD as rocks. The steak was good. My husband ordered it two times. Going into town is the best bet for less expensive and better food. HOWEVER, it cost $8 a person for a cab ride into town. No one in the forum has complained about how expensive the taxi's are. That was an unexpected expense.

Westin Pool: It was probably the best part of the whole vacation besides the snorkleing we did at the local beaches ($10-12 for a taxi ride from Westin to beaches both ways). The chairs were super comfortable and the umbrellas were a welcome relief from the harsh Caribbean sun. There was some loud man in the pool every time we went and it almost reuined the experience. The Pina Coladas are out of this world! I wish I would of sold my car so I could of had more! The igauna's hang out by the pool and are not afraid of hopping up in the lounge chair to eat your food. Scarey!

Local Favorites: any of the other beaches besides the fake beach at the Westin; any local food, the grocery store(get staples to hold you over), Zo Zo's(local restaurant that has condos right by that are cheaper and nicer than the Westin and have all the same amenities).

Suggestions for travelers: buy groceries at the grocery in town so you can take lunches to snorkel at the beaches and have snacks in your room. Do go on the sunset cruise at the Westin; rent a Jeep if you are able (saves money on taxi's) and don't go here on your honeymoon during June (kid central).

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!