“Close to Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Stevensville, MD
“Close to Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2005

My wife and I just got back from 9 days at the Westin...a great resort in terms of amenities, service, and style. Beach was just OK, but very functional.
We had an Ocean Front room - make sure to get one (about 10 yards to the Caribbean). Heavenly beds as advertised, Beach Cafe good...forget the rest...Plenty of great spots to eat in town...Since this was off-season, it wasn't crowded...not many screaming kids running about!
Cruz Bay = good town for dinner + don't miss Woodys!
Take a day trip to Jost Van Dyke for the #1 Beach in Caribbean at Whites Bay..and great snorkeling...
Taxi fares expensive = to get in town (2-3 miles) and back was $10pp...doesn't seem loke a lot, but it can add up. Also, unless you plan on coming back every year, forget the "90 min. timeshare" pitch....
All in all...we'd come back again....

Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2005

We just returned from a week at the Westin Resort in St. John USVI. The resort was fabulous, the grounds are lush and you can see they take great pride in the appearance of the site. The employees were great from the minute we stepped off the Westin boat at the entrance we were treated like royalty. A cold towel and rum punch before you're taken to your room by the wonderful people in Guest Services. And if you're really lucky you can have Miss Ivy escort you to your room. We had an ocean front room that was large and had a king size "heavenly" bed and outside terrace. The room was wonderful and Starbucks coffe (regular and decaf) were provided each day. All our requests were met without fuss ( we had a problem with the guestsin the room next door smoking - the entire resort is non-smoking except for outside on the terraces). Guest services even called us the following night to make certain we were happy. We can't say enough great things about our whole experience, from the helpful employees to the services they provide(snorkeling, boating, etc.).
The main lobby has a restaurant book with many menus from restaurants all over the island (all price ranges), and the taxis are right out in front to whisk you away. Also the restaurants on the premises are really good, too. We talked so much about our trip, many of our friends are already planning their vacations to the Westin for next year. Thank you Westin and your great staff for making our trip such a wonderful and memorable experience. Mr. Matt Balcik and his assistant, Laurie do a fabulous job.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

Awesom Heavenly beds/rooms. No problems with Service Express-always accomodating. Room service is excellent and availble all night- good curry chicken and Pizza Hut pizza. Sure its expensive but youre at a resort. There are 2 markets right down the street you can shop at (starfish and dolphin), and plenty of places to eat (pastory gardens, maragarita phils, woodys, skinny legs) Skinny legs is excellent for familes- burgers and dogs at $8 and $4 respectively. Mango Deli at the resort is 10 bucks for a huge wrap. Buy a case (6 bottles) of rum for 30 bucks and some guava or tropical juice, ask for a blender for your room and visit the ice machine at the bottom of every building - cheap drinks you can take to the pool! Paid around $1400 for a two double bed room, split between 2 people for our stay of 7 nights. There are noseeums, bring bug spray. Best thing - rent a jeep for $65 bucks/24 hrs and drive around! Roads are narrow and windy, you can drink and drive here as long as you have your seatbelt on! We rented snorkel gear for 10 bucks at the Westin and drove to trunk bay and somewhere else that you take a stairway down to the ocean - amazing snorkeling on the cheap! The only negative thing i have to say is the two hot tubs were never the correct temp- one was unbearably hot and the other was slightly warmer than the pool, not like you need a hot tub to enjoy the beautiful grounds. Plan on going back very soon!

Boston, MA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2005

This resort is overpriced and for the most part the service was terrible. Just got back (10/15-10/19) from a friend's wedding there. To start, they screwed up my reservation (staying with another wedding guest who arrived a day before me). Put us in 2 separate rooms at first (and charged both of our cards even though we each had a confirmation # for to share the room). The blinds broke and it took 2 days and several phone calls to have them fixed (they broke again and we just left them on the floor; they later told us we had to stay in the room until the maintenace folks arrived--and miss the beach?). The place is beautiful but the employees of the Westin did not seem to care about hospitality. They put my luggage in the wrong room and I had to go get it. There are no sidewalks so you have to make sure not to get hit by the golf carts. On Monday, the bride, her parents and 2 friends were walking up to the lobby to get taxis to head over to the wedding on Trunk Bay Beach. A golf cart went by and we asked for a ride (the bride was in her wedding gown) and the Westin employee said no because he was taking 2 guests to check in. He would not take the bride in her wedding gown and her parents up to the lobby until the other guests said it was OK for us to ride with them. On the last day, 1/2 of the Westin beach was empty. Since there were 20 (TWENTY) of us staying there, we started pulling chairs together so we could all sit together in front of our rooms (where we had beer-stocked fridges). The staff on the beach said that we could not use that 1/2 of the beach because they were cleaning chairs and grooming that 1/2 of the beach. The dude got on a walkie-talkie and said "some people want to use the beach chairs". The higher authority said no. We sat on the far side of the beach until 5:00 PM and not one single staff member appeared to clean the beach as we were told. Also the food is overpriced. Breakfast was good every day (if you don't mind spending $20 on scrambled eggs). Dinner was mediocre. The service was terrible at all meals (even at the bars) except for the wedding reception, where the food and service were impeccable. The staff seemed resentful of us. And we weren't whining the whole time; we were there to celebrate with the bride and groom, but the staff made that difficult. The room was fine (except for the blind and that it was next to the ice machine). The mosquitoes were intolerable, even with 26% DEET. St. John was beautiful and fun. I'd go somewhere else first, and I wil never stay at the St. John Westin again. Definately not top-notch and 2-3 stars at best.

Dallas TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

I've stayed at this resort twice, and it needs a bit of updating since my last visit a few years ago. The hot tubs were not working, the food quality has declined and the rooms are starting to show wear. The heavenly beds are still in good shape however. The staff is generally friendly and helpful. There is not a lot to do when it rains (and it rained a lot this time).

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

Let me start by saying that this resort was beautiful in location, but that is about it. Maybe my expectations were set a little too high, but I think they were fair given the price of the hotel.

Upon arriving on the resort, I immediately noticed the plush vegetation and how natural the buildings were. I am not a big fan of the resorts that look like they belong on Miami Beach.

Being that my wife and I arrived fiarly late on Saturday night, we decided to go to the Beach Bar for a small dinner. At first glance at the menu, I noticed how extremely high priced the selections were! Maybe I didn't do enough research prior to booking my trip, or maybe my travel agent didn't advise me appropriately, but I thought that $20 for a pizza and $17 for nachos were a bit on the high side. What really hurt was when they brought the food out, the pizza was nothing more than a "Boboli" and the nachos had "Cheese Whia" on them. This reminds me of a late night college snack! The pizza was so loaded with cheese a grease that the bartender wanted to know why we weren't eating it... I told him that it was too greasy and his comment was "I guess that is what you get when the bartender is cooking." Now mind you, this was only at 10 o'clock!

So, before making a total judgement from one blunder we decided to give breakfast a try the next day. Again, it was $22 for the buffet! Or, you can select a varying array of breakfast choices. French toast was $17 or pancakes were $16... plus coffee at $5.00 and then they were out of cream! I decided to go with the buffet. What a mistake. Nothing was kept warm and the omlette chef was not on duty b/c of the "off" season! Call me crazy, but I feel that $60 for breakfast is a bt much considering the quality of the food.

Lesson learned, I feel that the best way to explore the island of St. Johns would be to rent a house with some friends and do your own exploring. The beachs are amazing even though it rained every day we were there. We stayed 3 out of our 7 days and decided to leave due t the weather. (The sun never came out) I understand that nobody has control over Mother Nature, but we decided to cut our losses while we could and leave early.

Hope this helps.

South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

We stayed at the Westin Resort from October 2nd through the 8th and had a wonderful time despite the tropical depression that did not want to move!! The Westin Resort is beautiful and they provide a water taxi to take you from St. Thomas to St. John. We made the best of the rain by shopping and going to eat (some great restaurants, Margarita Phils, Pastory Gardens, ZoZo's, The Balcony, La Tapa, Woodys etc). We had some drinks a few nights at Woodys and some other bars. They had plenty of excursions and trips, we did the one to Virgin Gorda and Normans Island, well worth the money.
The Resort itself couldn't be any more clean, our room was beautiful (so the curtains are ugly big deal)! Yes the food there is expensive but that's everywhere you go, it wasn't like it was just the hotel. My only complaint besides the rain (which we cannot control) were the bugs called Nosee'ems....they are all over the place and we got bit left and right (my suggestion, bring lots of bug spray). Overall this was a wonderful place, we were there during off season, so we didn't have any problems getting taxis, rafts for the pool, (towels were a problem so bring a beach towel). I would go here again, the island is beautiful. There is so much to see and do!

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!