“Good.....Could easily be Great” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Cruz Bay
New York
“Good.....Could easily be Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just got back from celebrating a milestone anniversary in the first week of January on St. John.
We stayed at the Westin in a poolside room for 4 nights.
Overall our stay was enjoyable.

Our room was basic. Nothing flashy, mostly clean. This was fine since we were not spending much time in the room.

Staff was nice, but not over the top friendly.

Positives:
The grounds at the Westin are truly beautiful. The renovation work did not bother us at all. Sunsets on the Westin beach were an unexpected treat, as was yoga that was offered on the beach.

-Ferry service from the Airport was a luxury we really enjoyed. Especially the complimentary rum punch getting off the boat.

-Live steel drum music at the pool during happy hour. Only once though on the trip.
(Why wasnt he there every night?)

-Jeep rental on property

-Snorkle and beach chair rental on property

-Concierge was very helpful is setting us up with dinner reservations.

-Starbucks coffee in market

I left feeling...the Westin was very nice....but it could be great. The resort is missing a few details that would really improve guest's experience.

Negatives:

-The resort is in desperate need of some kind of lobby bar. In the evening, there really isnt a nice place to wind down and gather for a drink. The bar at the restaurant was dead at night as was closing up by 10pm each night.

-Music at the pool. In my opinion, people come to St John for an "caribean island" feel.
The Westin for some reason is pumping South beach style club music through its speakers at the pool.

-Appetizer menu at the pool bar was terrible.

-Pool bar staff were not overly friendly. Needed younger and more energetic bartenders.

Overall I would recommend the Westin.
Keep in mind St John is an island you want to explore and not spend your entire day at the resort. The Island has the finest beaches in the world.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Port Orange, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed here 12/9/14 to 12/16/14 and I was surprised by the poor quality of the rooms. My belief is as the they convert to an all time share property, the hotel rooms are being left off any maintainence program. Our furniture had doors that were so crooked that you had to lift them up to close. we had to call maintenance to get the entry door to lock. Our refrigerater was rusty. I found a common worm like insect in the ice machine. Our room needed painting.

I felt sorry for families with small children as they had torn up the area around the playground that week and it was to be unusable for several more days.The pool bar and resaurant close at 5pm....what the .....!

The final straw was a biiling issue. I tries to reach the hotel biiling dept. multiple times and hda no success. I also tred what I understood to be an email address for billling questions but no respense to that either. Now my card issuer has taken up the action to ge the billing resolved.

I would only stay here if you can get a time share...otherwise it's not a great place...especially at their premium prices.

The location is great, the pool chair cushions top notch.

Room Tip: Rent a time share form an owner
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I’m sorry you didn’t feel our resort rooms are not up to Westin standards and you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I appreciate your comment on our pool cushions and our nice location. Thank you for sharing your review of your stay.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arrived on January 9th and stayed until the 13th. We had one of the rooms overlooking Cruz Bay, close to the pool and beach just outside our room. Westin makes sure guests are taken care of but sometimes the price is a bit high. We often took local taxis to town ($5 per person each way) and they are pick up trucks with benches in the bed. Still enjoyed going down town and eating at various restaurants. Meals at the Westin could be expensive $22 breakfast buffet but there was a small bistro as well as bar food. Hobi cats and kayaks free for guests and lots of activities

Room Tip: request room facing the beach
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review and for sharing your stay with future guests. I’m glad you enjoyed your accommodations and the activities we offer on our resort. I hope you will come back and visit us again next year.
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After reading all of the reviews I have to admit I was rather wary of staying here. The front desk staff were helpful, polite and professional. We arrived early and even though we were not able to check in to our room we were given full access to the resort and grounds. We had a simple lunch at the poolside restaurant. The food was mediocre and bland. Their options were extremely limited and service was a bit slow. However, that's my only complaint.

Construction was minimal and didn't disrupt our stay at all. The landscaping is well maintained. The grounds were clean, if not a little sparse. I feel like they could really do a lot with all the open areas. A few benches or little cafe tables and chairs placed here and there or even a life size chess board or two placed out of the way would add a lot. A couple fire pits or some tropical birds in cages near the lobby even? :) It just felt like it was missing something to make it a little more inviting but not sure what. It really is nicely maintained.

The pool and jacuzzi were clean and enjoyable.

We loved getting desserts at the onsite market every night to take back to the room and enjoy with our coffee.

The room was spacious, quiet and most importantly, clean.

The location is close to town and easy access to everything on the island. We enjoyed the sunsets every evening. As for the complaint about the grounds being too big, I enjoyed the walk and there are golf cart shuttles to take you from point a to point b if you need the assistance.

Overall it was a nice place, I think it still has a bit to go but they obviously are not done and are working on making it an even better place. I look forward to returning someday.

Room Tip: Go with an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to read you had a refreshing experience at our resort and the construction did not impact your stay in any way. Thank you for the helpful suggestions and compliments on the resort and grounds. We also look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was very concerned reading recent reviews on the condition of the Westin property, the rooms, the service, the food and the ongoing construction. Maybe we got lucky, maybe there was a break in construction, I'm not sure. Our vacation was fantastic. The new lobby is a huge open air welcome facility. That was the first sign that we were going to be ok staying there. (I have backup plans lined up in case the Westin was a disaster.) The check-in was smooth and uneventful other than the agent was very warm, pleasant and welcoming. We were taken to our room via golf cart and when the door to our room for the next 7 nights was opened, we breathed a huge sigh of relief!!! The room was clean and appeared to be up to date other than countertops of older marble, but thats the only issue I could find with the room!!! We were in building 14, but surrounding buildings were in similar condition.
The facilities and staff were fantastic. The pool area was clean, waitresses taking drink and food orders routinely, pool staff kept the place clear, towels were clean and plentiful, and entertainment staff were polite, friendly and useful. We did a two tank dive and that staff, although not directly Westin connected, were excellent. The gym was small, but served its purpose and was clean - the staff there on the 4 mornings we used the facilities were fantastic. The restaurant and market were excellent and clean as well. Expensive, but you're not in Kansas any more. Everything on the island is imported!
These conditions continued every day for our full stay. No events. No issues! And given some of the rent reviews, we were hesitant even contemplating canceling the trip or changing where we were staying. So glad we did not.
So for those of you booked for the next few months, don't cancel! There may be some construction going on, but while we were there it was minimal. Like I said earlier, maybe we got lucky...
The Westin lived up to the Westin on Cayman we visit and other Westins we have visited in the past. The St John Westin is being converted over the next couple years to time sharing, so go stay there while you can!
We were also never badgered about taking a tour of the time shares.
Hope this helps.

Room Tip: we liked our room close to the pool, we were in unit 14, but the other units around the pool seemed...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for posting such a delightful review. I was very pleased to read that despite reading some negative reviews on trip advisor we met your expectations and you had a relaxing stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This resort had some of the best staff and some of the worst. But my overall rating is high, because the highs definitely out-weighed the lows. We originally booked a 3 bedroom villa, but it was located far away from the beach and frankly didn't even have a view; so we asked to be moved and forfeited our private pool for a view of the water on our balcony every morning - definitely worth it. This is a large property so plan to walk a lot or take advantage of the golf carts that will drive you around where you want to go. The food on property was just ok, but we preferred dining in downtown area each night.
The bay right outside the westin was perfect to lay on the beach mats and float the day away. Our girls loved playing in the sand and water and overall we had some of the most memorable and exciting snorkeling experiences in St. John.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read that we were able to accommodate your room move request and you were happy with the new location and view of the villa. It sounds like you had a nice vacation with us and we hope you come back again next year.
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Currently, my husband and I are staying at this "Resort & Villa" and I could not wait to get home to review this place and had to give my review IMMEDIATELY!!!

I have to admit, the THE WESTIN had very high standards to meet as we spent (2) nights in British VI at SCRUB ISLAND AUTOGRAPH RESORT ( which was amazzzzzzing, review coming). They fell short upon arrival with no one to greet us in regards to the luggage. We rented a jeep as soon as we got off the Inter-island ferry and drove to the resort. When we got to the desk, only then did we recognize who the luggage/resort handlers were.. As an SPG GOLD MEMBER, I did not expect a "major" upgrade, but I noted on my reservation we were celebrating our 1st year anniversary and was hoping for at least beachfront. After reading the reviews on trip advisor before the start of our trip, I tried my best to get a villa, which was 4k points less than a regular room!!! They would not even accommodate that!!! I told myself it's only for (1) night and it should not be that bad, right? WRONG!!!!!!

We ended up being upgraded to a "pool view" which still sucks. When we walked into the room, we were SHOCKED that they would charge guests over $100 let alone over $500!!!!!!!!!! If we had to pay those prices, I would have cried!!! The room was clearly not cleaned properly with bleach. The lights in the room were not plugged in. There are no power outlets for charging! I was under the strong impression that this place had gone through millions of dollars of upgrades!!!! I think NOT. NOW, I don't know what the villas look like and I'm not sure if they are focusing all of their efforts for upgrading villas, but I think it's atrocious that they would charge these prices for these rooms.

Now for the resort itself, it's just not clean looking. From the jacuzzis, to the pool area etc. I guess we just got so spoiled in the BVI's. We certainly will not be back. Thank GOD we are checking out early morning and heading to the RITZ CARLTON, ST. THOMAS. My husband would like me to note, the bed is the ONLY thing he likes

Room Tip: I think the villas are the best way to go
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Although I appreciate you writing a review on TripAdvisor I am highly disappointed you so strongly disliked our room. I’m sorry we couldn’t accommodate your request for a villa upgrade and I hope the rest of your vacation was pleasant.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!