“Spectacular resort that is only getting better” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Spectacular resort that is only getting better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Lots of renovations and upgrades. A very family friendly, accessible and attentive resort on one of the best islands. We have been going for about 12 years and still love it. There are great restaurants, the small place still seems full of discoveries as well as going back to tried and true places.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Friendly staff. Nice room with the exception of a small bathroom. The grounds were lovely, well landscaped and maintained. The beach and pool were great. With the exception of mold on the beach chairs. They only had one dinner restaurant and it was mediocre. Thankfully the deli food was surprisingly good. The female consierge was very nice and helpful, she gave great restaurant recommends . They had a great selection of water craft rentals (free for guests) but the life vests were very stinky and also moldy! We also noticed a few peices of garbage that were left on the grounds for our entire stay! Over all we had a great time!

• Stayed December 2014
branchburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We are currently staying in a one bedroom studio at the Starwood St. John property. I must admit that after reading so many negative reviews I was a bit concerned about what we might encounter. Our studio is very nice ...no mold or bugs as previous reviewers encountered on this property. The lobby and grounds are beautiful. Most of the renovations are completed. I do think a new pull out couch in our studio is needed. I mentioned it to a manager and he informed me that new furnishings are next on the list for renovations of the older units.

We are workout fanatics so we checked out the fitness center on our first night and they were just moving the equipment into the newly renovated facility. As for the employees, we have only encountered friendly and helpful staff. Case in point...we ran out of soap but since our stay is under a week do not get cleaning service. We mentioned to one o the housekeepers outside of our room that we were low on shampoo and soap and came back to our room to find a bag hanging with tons of both! (She was not allowed to enter a room not on the list for security reasons.)

I can't speak for the hotel rooms, but overall I would rate our stay so far as excellent.

One more thing, if you are looking for an excursion, I would HIGHLY recommend Wish Upon a Star Charters. We went on the "Swim with the turtles" all day snorkel charter and the experience was fantastic. My son (21) said it was the best snorkeling trip he had been on (we own at the Atlantis and have done a number of the snorkeling charters in the Bahamas). The owners Matt and Cindy and staff member Taylor were awesome. Each stop gave our family and the other passengers plenty of time for snorkeling. Matt to the time to point out the different sights we passed and Taylor made sure we always had a drink in hand (water soda, beer, etc) or when in the water guided us to the most interesting underwater attractions. There were also snacks galore. Everything from snorkeling to an on board water slide and raft rides make this adventure well worth the $.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

What a disappointment, especially given the effort the parent company puts into guest experiences at other properties. Clogged toilets, lumpy beds, cheap pillows, half-hour waits for food service, and of course, an 18% gratuity tacked onto some bills where the service was non-existent. The nadir was a clogged toilet in the room that took three calls and an hour to repair. On a positive note, the water sports teams were consistently first rate, with an emphasis on safety and guest enjoyment, and the maintenance crew professional and upbeat. On balance, I would not recommend this property, to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I traded my Starwood property in order to get to the St John Westin. The villa was wonderful! There were 3 bedrooms, each with an expansive bath, and a powder room off the living area. The kitchen was a nice size and nicely furnished with convection oven, microwave oven, dishwasher, disposal, and 4 burner stove. We had our own pool and hot tub inside our private courtyard. The outdoor grill setup was amazing. The windows in the kitchen could be opened to the courtyard. There was seating at both the window counter (on high stools) and at a table with umbrella. There were recliners and cushioned pool floats poolside. The laundry room had a full size washer and dryer and a closet that included 4 beach chairs and umbrellas that could be used when traveling to the island beaches for snorkeling. There were 2 king bedrooms and the third bedroom had 2 queen beds. (The living room also has a sofa bed if needed.)
The on-site restaurant served some wonderful salads with dinner and the breakfast options were extensive.
There was some construction going on near the hotel units but it was very quiet at the villa. We were never bothered by any construction noise of any type.
All the staff were very friendly and we were provided with clean replacement beach towels within minutes of our call.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have been going to the Westin for a few years. I did stay there, but no longer. We now access boat trips through their property, but I would not suggest this hotel to anyone I know. This trip the property was still undergoing significant maintenance. There are at least 2 buildings under construction. I would not want to stay there and hear all the noise. What was worse was the people spraying pesticide or herbicide. They were wearing full body suits, and they were wearing masks on their faces of some type, and spraying. This was going on two different days we were there, and in the presence of visitors. Management was there, we saw the General Manager of the hotel, and he most likely was aware of the spraying of these chemicals that had the workers wearing full body suits and masks on their faces. Although, to be fair, he was nowhere near the sprayers and I guess it may be possible he didn't know they were spraying. The smell was offensive, and I have never smelled anything like that on any hotel property or seen anyone in full body suits with masks on their faces. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There is construction, noise, appearance of the area with piles of dirt, and some kind strong smell of chemicals being sprayed. The hotel may improve once the construction is finished. The workers do continue to be friendly. I did not stay here or see the rooms, but the noise, construction, and smell was disturbing.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Sylvania, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I went to St John in November. I was freaking out before we left because the weather report predicted 30-50% rain every day. I learned very quickly that 30-50% meant it would probably be clear and sunny. Twice it sprinkled for 2 or 3 minutes while the sun was shining and once it down poured for about 10 minutes. We rented a car in St Thomas because it was several hundred dollars cheaper. We rented from budget and was alittle disappointed to find that even though I had reserved a car months in advance that they did not have a car available. They were able to correct the problem and had us out of the airport in about 30 minutes. Hertz will not allow their vehicles to leave St. Thomas. The roads in St John are crazy! The hills, hairpin turns and general disrepair of the roads would make a 4WD a great choice but we made due with a small car but next time I may upgrade. When we arrived at The Westin, we checked in at their make shift lobby as they were finishing up repairs on a few areas. Over all, the repairs really did not effect our stay. I was disappoint that the spa was not open due to renovations because that's always something I look forward to on vacation. We were located in a studio across the street and up the hill (building 32). The only bad part was that all studios are on the bottom floor therefore you get a jungle view. The upside to this is that you have plenty of privacy! I did really like the private pools on the hillside buildings. The pools areas have small waterfalls, a grilling area and a nice view! They also have a golf cart busing system with bus stops "Iguana stop" at several locations. They can take you around the resort. The staff was always friendly and when I was limping around with a sprung ankle I was offered a ride by security and another time by the landscaping team. They always seemed to go above and beyond. They even left me a bottle of my favorite rum as a welcome birthday gift! I thought that the studio met all our needs. There was plenty of room for the 2 of us. As starwood owners, we received free wifi. We didn't spend too much time on the balcony except in the morning because of bugs since our balcony faced a wooded area. Make sure to bring bug spray..it's a must! The pool area is beautiful and I love the floats that are available. It was never crowded while we were there. There is one grocery store within walking distance of the Westin and an even nicer one up the road a bit farther (the Market place) but would require a car ride. There's also a drug store, deli, and specialty liquor store at the market place location. Although the distance to Cruz Bay isn't that far from the Westin, I don't suggest you walk. The roads are narrow, there are no sidewalks and the drivers are not worried about pedestrians. If you have rented a car, be prepared to worry about parking in Cruz Bay. Its a big issue and it wasn't even high season while we were there. When it comes to food prices, it's high everywhere! Doesn't matter if you eat at the Westin, Cruz Bay or buy food at the grocery store. Keep in mind that this is an island that must import everything therefore it all cost more. You can be prepared to pay $15-20 per person for breakfast or lunch at your basic restaurant. For dinner it's more like $20-30 and this goes up with appetizers or drinks. We stayed away from high end dining! One more bit of information. Make sure to get a map from the concierge. The cartoon maps they have available are by far the best way to learn your way around Cruz Bay. We loved our stay in St John. We loved that it hasn't been taken over by chain restaurants or stores. Its layed back and relaxing! And worth every dime spent!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 2 days ago
It was wonderful to hear how refreshing your visit was. We value your experience as Starwood Owners and look forward to seeing you again next year. Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!