“Perfect Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Boston
“Perfect Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My inlaws own a timeshare here and we stayed the third week of January. Their unit is in the villas accross the street which is a close walk to the pool and beach area. I cannot say enough about the pleasant service and perfect location. The unit itself is large with a full kitchen and private pool. I can't speak for the individual rooms as I didn't see them, but my understanding is the resort is undergoing a large renovation project. The pool area is gorgeous with very comfortable chaise lounge chairs. Towels are plentiful and they let you take as many towels as you'd like. The beach itself is private and relaxing. We took the jet skiis out one day and had a great time with our instructor who gave as an 1+ tour of the various bays and surrounding islands. My sister inlaw and I went out a half-day snorkeling tour which was really fun and I highly recommend taking this tour if snorkeling is your thing. The Mango Deli serves freshly-made sandwiches, premade salads and Starbucks coffee. Although expensive, it's nice and convenient to have this on site as the resort isn't within walking distance to downtown However there is a supermarket with an impressive selection less than a quarter mile from the property. I used the gym facilities daily which was convenient. We ate lunch at the hotel twice and the food was just okay. This is the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars. Overall, it was a great experience and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Many thanks for sharing your feedback and suggestions. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the amenities available to you on property and that you took advantage of our on-site watersports company. Thanks again for posting your review. I’m confident we’ll see you again due to your in-laws’ timeshare. We look forward to providing you with another perfect vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I was dismayed when I read the reviews ahead of my late Jan/early Feb trip. I am happy to report that my stay was perfectly lovely. The staff was warm and welcoming from the moment of arrival (thanks, Ivy!), and very attentive and responsive throughout my six day stay.
The location is convenient to town and the hotel runs a ferry from St. Thomas to the resort (fees apply). The beach is beautiful and intimate, with lounges and umbrellas and waitperson service.
The pool is huge and newly redone.
I found all the restaurants on the property good, if not AS good as some of the other island offerings (ZoZo's, Ocean 362, The Terrace). A small market is available for your convenience: a morning cappuccino, chips and dip, wine, etc. A larger market is just outside the resort.
The resort offers a nice gym, complete with yoga and other classes as well as your regular weights, machines. Tennis is available (including clinics for newbies and those not so new).

All in all, a terrific place to stay! Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review. We were glad to hear you did not allow negative reviews to deter you from staying with us for your recent trip to the Virgin Islands. It sounds as though it paid off and we were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We’ll see you again soon.
Palm Beach Gardens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We first went here 24 years ago for our honeymoon. Why we waited 15 years to go back I will never know, but we've been back at least once per year every year since. The location is perfect, absolutely beautiful. The staff goes out of their way, above and beyond, to make sure that your stay is like paradise. From the general manager right down the cleaning staff and everyone in between has a can-do/what can we do to help you attitude. In particular I have to commend Aaron Burris as someone who's attitude and helpfulness cannot be beat! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The pool can sometimes get noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Very cool to read that you first visited us 24 years ago for your honeymoon and that you have been coming back yearly for the past 9-10 years. I bet our associates remember you year after year and we truly appreciate your loyalty to both the Westin St. John and Starwood Hotels and Resorts. I have already shared your kind words with Aaron Burris and he was much appreciative. Thanks again and we’ll see you next year.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My mom and I stayed here for my 25th Birthday for 6 nights. We were BLOWN away. I'll only comment on the hotel/grounds and not the island (as I need to write a short story on how AMAZING the island is).

Staff: SUPER SUPER friendly. While checking in we had an issue with our credit card and they were really patient and helpful while we called the bank. This could have easily made us stressed and started out vacay the wrong way, but they wouldn't let that happen.
We had Karen as our concierge- can she just adopt me please!?!

Facilities: The grounds are GORGEOUS! Very natural and lush! We liked that there weren't many hotel rooms as nothing was EVER crowded. There were at least 30 extra beach chairs a day and 90% of the time we felt like we were the only ones there. The pool was big and clean and it's nice that you can go in till 10pm! One negative thing is that our room keys didn't work 2 times while there and it took time to go to the front desk, but they helped right away.

Room Cleanliness/Comfort: Very clean and beds were very clean and comfortable. Bathroom could use some updating, but never felt uncomfortable! Our room had a nice size patio, I wish the doors would lock/unlock from the outside, but not a big deal.

The food was DELICIOUS! We had breakfast at the restaurant one day and were BLOWN AWAY! Also had appetizers at the beach bar a few times and were really impressed. The pina coladas were insanely good! Had to have a few a day!

BEAUTIFUL BEACH! You definitely need to see the other beaches that St. John is known for, but this is a great spot to relax!

We rented a dinghy from the watersports area on the hotel's beach and had a blast! It was a great way to see the island!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Happy Belated 25th birthday! It sounds as though you and your mother had a wonderful time at our resort and I was very glad to hear that. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and informing other guests of what a beautiful place St. John is. We hope you will return, perhaps for your 26th? I’m sure Karen will be on the lookout. Thanks again.
MASS.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have just returned from our usual 2 week stay on St. John at the Westin. The major construction around the pool and Snorkel's bar are done and look great. Both are open for business. Although we spend most of our time at the North shore beaches we do spend several days or half days around the pool and sitting at the bar. The staff once again was excellent. From the always smiling and very attentive Helen May, Janice, and Dorsett behind the bar to all the waitresses and waiters serving up food and drinks to people at beach tables and sitting poolside. The new towel shack is in and staffed with very helpful/friendly people. Especially Sue who likes to spend her days off at her special place on STJ. relaxing. Actually all the staff we came in contact with during our stay was great. They have also done a lot of work to the beach side and ocean side rooms upgrading inside and out. I was told the ones that are finished are very nice. The outside looks great. All I can say is if you haven't been it is time to try it and if you just have been putting it off because of the work being done around the pool and wanted to go back it's time. Leave the traffic jams of St. Thomas behing with a short boat ride to St. John. As far as the price??? Well it is the Carribean and you pay for what you get. Have a great trip.

Room Tip: You can ask for a pool side or ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
We appreciate your kind words regarding our associates and your time spent here at the Westin St. John. I was glad to hear that you found our improvements impressive and that you enjoyed our renovated pool area and Snorkel’s. I will share your comments regarding HelenMay, Janice and Dorsett with each of them and their Management team – all three of them will be delighted to know they left a positive impression once again. Thanks for posting your review. We’ll see you again very soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Some of the suites are currently under construction ... still, the harbor-front rooms, especially, are a nice, clean, and scenic base where you can plan your exploration of the beautiful island & national park of St. John. You're also still relatively close to Cruz Bay where you can enjoy the restaurants, night life, and access to ferry service.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and enjoy a room on the water!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Many thanks for sharing your short, yet very sweet review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and share it with others. Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Evans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We did not stay here, but have stopped here several times while on St. John. The property is beautiful but is seems too crowded and the pool area is too busy. We prefer the Ritz on St. Thomas. The beach there is much more secluded

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We hope you will choose to stay with us sometime in the near future to experience the property in full. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!