“wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

despite the construction work currently being done, we had a wonderful one week stay at this resort. extremely clean, very nice people working there. heavenly bed was great and kitchen helped saved on meals. will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Many thanks for your review. I love nothing more than to hear that you had a wonderful one week stay at The Westin St. John despite the renovation currently taking place. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future so that you can see our improvements firsthand and have another refreshing stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Elmwood Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the villas.
The resort is currently undergoing a renovation, and although the pool was closed, the beach was open, the water was warm, and the staff was excellent. I can go to a pool at home, I cannot go to a white sand beach at home (in October) and swim for hours. I saw many families with children of all ages enjoying the sand and the water.
Resort guests use floats and towels, available at the beach, free of charge.
Kayaks, stand-up paddle-boards, and non-powered watercraft, are also available for use, no charge. Powered watercraft are available for rental.
I took a two tank dive excursion (run by Cruz Bay Watersports) from the property aboard the Sea Quest. The crew was friendly and professional. I recommend this trip to all certified divers.
The hotel staff is always helpful, and add to the enjoyment of our stay. Ask them for dining suggestions, you won't be disappointed.
We had a great time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words and patience regarding our renovation. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, despite the construction taking place and the main pool being closed. I will pass your feedback regarding your dive experience with Cruz Bay Watersports on to their Management team, and they will be happy to know they enhanced your stay. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at the westin in st john for 1 night originally booking on expedia. When we arrived the lobby seemed nice and the people working there were very nice, we thought it would be nice. When we got to our room it was very dated and smelled like mildew. We called the front desk and they said we could cancel our reservation and were very understanding. The front desk manager told us that we could check out the villas on the other side of the property that are timeshares. They quoted us a rate of roughly double what the original room was but it was worth it so we stayed there and that was definitely four star and much nicer. They said after that the building they put us in originally was set to be demolished in a few months.

So to sum up the villas are 4 star and if you are going to stay here any time after a few months from now the hotel will probably be updated and beautiful. The people that work there are extremely nice and helpful. My only problem was when we switched to the other room they quoted me a rate of 349 and didn't tell me that there was also a $40 resort charge, this really aggravated me

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that your original room felt outdated and unsatisfactory. We are currently undergoing a renovation, so we hope to welcome you back in the future to see our improvements firsthand. I was happy to hear that our Front Desk Staff took great care of you and got your situated in a villa. We are working to ensure all of our room accommodations are as welcoming and refreshing as our villas, so we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We own a unit at the Westin. We did not stay at the Westin this trip, since I feel that they cannot make things right with the conditions of their rooms. We did have to go to the property for other purposes. While we were there, we saw a large part of the resort is under construction. The pool is closed. They have shut down a large part of the hotel. I know there is never a good time to do construction on a resort, but this was unsightly. They had barriers hiding some of the construction. I do not think this would be the place to go, and if you had children it could be really hard to take them where there is no pool. The people who are working on the grounds are friendly and the men driving the golf carts are friendly. We did not have a lot of interaction with Westin employees. They do have two macaws, and both appear to be caged 24 hours a day. The cages do not appear large enough for them to even stretch their wings. They cannot get out, and I know this is for safety, but these are large birds and the cages are not that large. I do not think leaving an animal that size in a cage that small all day could be healthy. A company like Starwood should have enough money to build cages large enough to keep the birds safe and healthy and the visitors safe. The birds cannot walk around or get out of the cages. Sad. I don't think Westin will do anything, since I haven't seen a lot of results from them with other problems. Starwood didn't do anything either, which leads me to believe they wont do anything either. I left feeling worse than I did when I got there about that property, which is bad. Not a nice place.

Room Tip: When you call to make a reservation, ask where they are doing construction.
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review. We are currently undergoing a fifty million dollar renovation and yes, our main pool is closed until mid - December and a large part of the resort is under construction. Guests were made aware of this prior to arrival and are being offered different forms of Goodwill Gestures for any inconvenience. As you mentioned, there is never a good time to complete construction, especially without shutting down the resort completely. We began this project in August, which is our slowest of time of year in an effort to complete a large majority of it before our hotel fills up for season. I’m unclear what you’re referring to when you said The Westin and Starwood didn’t do anything to address your concerns in the past. If you’d like to elaborate, please feel free to reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com. We’d also like to thank you for your concerns regarding our parrots and while they are justifiable, please allow me to explain. We have an expert who comes to the resort three to four times a week to clean their cages, feed the girls, and monitor their overall well-being. Unfortunately, they have not been socialized as pet birds, therefore they cannot be consistently handled. You may have noticed that Max’s cage is left open and she is free to come out and mingle with guests whenever she wishes. In the past, Esmeralda and Repo were also let out of their cages, but unfortunately they were either mistreated by guests, caught nipping at guests toes or damaging the marina area. Please be assured that we do take your concerns regarding the birds very seriously and I have spoken with their caretaker many times in the past, who assured me that surprisingly, they are less stressed and feel more secure in the comfort of their cages. Thanks again for your concern and I hope my feedback has helped to ease your mind. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been taking my family to the USVI for 10 years. This trip was our first time staying at the Westin. Due to construction, the wonderful front desk staff upgraded our room without me asking. The pool area was closed but we spent little time on property. The golf carts were very helpful and necessary with bags and groceries from the great little supermarket just up the street. The rooms were well furnished and the amenities were plentiful. I will admit there were a few disappointments. We did not receive our "welcome" package until the second night, it included a discount card for the grocery store. It would have been nice to get when we checked in before spending $300 at the grocery store. Could not be applied retroactively. We are in the market to buy a second home and the Starwood properties seemed like a great place to start. We signed up for the tour and sales speech and promised that it would be 1.5 hours. We sat there for nearly 3 hours before I simply walked out. I had 2 teenage boys in the room ready to go to the beach, very disrespectful treatment of my time. The beach is peaceful but nothing to note with so many stellar beaches close by. The food was very disappointing. It was over priced and bland. My teenage boys hated the pizza even after snorkeling all day. We were happy to cook in our room or go into town to eat because of the cost and low quality.
The reason I gave them 4 stars is due to the great staff and the room quality. The voluntary upgrade and the ease of getting around on the property. The food cost and quality combined with the sales staff for Starwood would get a 2. The front desk staff was awesome!

Room Tip: Spend the money to get a villa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I was glad to hear that after ten years, you and your family decided to give the Westin St. John a try and that you enjoyed your stay overall. While I was happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service, our helpful and friendly associates, and your room accommodations, I want to apologize for the delay in your welcome package and also the delay you experienced at the sales tour. I will share your feedback with our Starwood Vacation Ownership Management team so that they are aware and can make the necessary changes to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced in the future. I also want to apologize for the cost quality of our dining options. It sounds as though you enjoyed many aspects of our resort but that your stay could have been better. We hope you will return for a second trip so that we can provide you with a true Westin experience, one that not only meets, but exceeds your expectations. Thank you again.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We organized a family reunion with my parents and my parents in law and got room 2612. The room offered 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a good size living space. We all fit comfortably. Despite the low season and the remodelling of a portion of this lavish resort, we had access to all activities, a restaurant by the beach, a deli and several little events organized daily for the guests entertainment. The room was clean, restaurant had good food. The deli at times was extremely slow, but that depended on the person on staff for the day. We also undertook an organized tour of the island, which was fun, and enjoyed the Watersports centre for scuba diving and snorkelling. Again I was impressed with their efficiency, pleasant attitude and knowledge of the staff. Mini electric golf carts were going around the facility to ride clients at any time of the day.
All in all an excellent place. Good BBQ plaza comprising 5 BBQs overlooking the bay, that got cleaned the next morning upon usage.
The beach is nice, clean, quiet and the water quite transparent. The best thing was to lay in the shade looking at the sea and order a cold rum punch from the bar. ( Always when it was not already listed as the event of the day...then it'd come to you for free!)
The only two little negatives:
- the mini market was out of the resort and w/o a car, loading up too much grocery was a bit uncomfortable.
- I think there was a nest of cockroaches in the dishwasher door panel, and those critters kept coming out every night in the dishwasher.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your review and for choosing St. John as the destination for your family reunion. We are honored that you chose the Westin for such a special occasion and were happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your three-bedroom Bay Vista Villa. I will share your feedback with my Management team in an effort to improve in the areas you suggested. We appreciate your kind words and also your suggestions for improvement. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Stevensville, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was our second trip to the Westin. We originally rated it a "5"...since then we've been privileged to spend vacations at some exceptional properties that really are 5* -> Four Seasons -Nevis, Firefly-Mustique, Fairmont-Barbados, Grace Bay Club-Turks...Now the best I can give the Westin is a 3.5. They do enough to qualify as a slightly above average property...but miss on so many of the little things that distinguishes a great vacation at a great place.
1. Beach is OK - too much sea-grass for me...If you go ... go toTrunk Bay - where they will rent you a chair and an umbrella--beautiful water & beach. The beach staff at the Westin is very good thought...but the water is not clear blue.
2. This is the ONLY resort we've ever been to (including the crummy ones - Plaza-Bonaire & Long Bay - Tortola) that did not have a manager's cocktail party - COME ON GUYS - EVERYBODY DOES THAT!
3. Nothing special - No Beach cookout, No entertainment, No great breakfast buffet, no free coffee in the lobby or at the beach ... NOTHING.
4. One room service / day...no turndown..no extra towels in the evening, no flowers in the room..no tea or snacks around 4PM (Tea Time for the Brits).
5. One restaurant/bar - that's it.

---HONESTLY, I GET THE SAME "MEETS MINIMUMS" SERVICE AT A HOLIDAY INN!

While there - they were undergoing a massive refurbishing project that even eliminated the beautiful pool area for us and left us on the beach listening to the sweet sounds of nail guns and jack-hammers.

St John is a great destination..and the Westin will get better after they finish the construction program...but it will never be a "special destination"...because they don't make you feel special. We travel to the Caribbean every year on our anniversary...every year we get SOMETHING....flowers in the room....sometimes some fresh fruit...often a complimentary bottle of champaign...Something??? Again...sadly I think this beautiful property lacks the commitment to detail that so many others execute upon...As I overheard one guest comment - At the Westin...."It's all about the money and not about the guests!"

Don't get me wrong...this is not a bad destination...it's just not as great as it could be! the management runs it like a hotel and not like a resort.

Great restaurants and bars in the city (Asolare, The Terrace, The Waterfront...Woody's...the Beach Bar...Sun Dog...Tap Room -> forget the ride to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs...a dirty looking bar with no view and no charm!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in excellence you experienced during you stay. Our beach is in fact man-made, so I do apologize if you were inconvenienced by the sea grass. We encourage our guests to get off property and enjoy the unparalleled beauty of St. John so I was happy to hear you enjoyed Trunk Bay. Please know that we do in fact have an Owners Meeting and Reception every Monday evening. I am unsure whether or not you are an Owner, but please join us next time if so. I apologize that you were not provided with complimentary coffee in the lobby or flowers in your room. We do provide Starbucks coffee in our resort rooms and also at the Mango Deli, located on property and you can purchase flowers from a local florist to be placed at your room at any time. We are currently undergoing an extensive renovation so our pool bar, Snorkel’s is in fact closed while our pool is being renovated. Beach Café is operating normally for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Mango Deli is also available from 6:30am to 9pm. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future so that we can do our best to provide you with a refreshing stay.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!