“Great room and staff” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Cruz Bay
“Great room and staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been taking my family to the USVI for 10 years. This trip was our first time staying at the Westin. Due to construction, the wonderful front desk staff upgraded our room without me asking. The pool area was closed but we spent little time on property. The golf carts were very helpful and necessary with bags and groceries from the great little supermarket just up the street. The rooms were well furnished and the amenities were plentiful. I will admit there were a few disappointments. We did not receive our "welcome" package until the second night, it included a discount card for the grocery store. It would have been nice to get when we checked in before spending $300 at the grocery store. Could not be applied retroactively. We are in the market to buy a second home and the Starwood properties seemed like a great place to start. We signed up for the tour and sales speech and promised that it would be 1.5 hours. We sat there for nearly 3 hours before I simply walked out. I had 2 teenage boys in the room ready to go to the beach, very disrespectful treatment of my time. The beach is peaceful but nothing to note with so many stellar beaches close by. The food was very disappointing. It was over priced and bland. My teenage boys hated the pizza even after snorkeling all day. We were happy to cook in our room or go into town to eat because of the cost and low quality.
The reason I gave them 4 stars is due to the great staff and the room quality. The voluntary upgrade and the ease of getting around on the property. The food cost and quality combined with the sales staff for Starwood would get a 2. The front desk staff was awesome!

Room Tip: Spend the money to get a villa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I was glad to hear that after ten years, you and your family decided to give the Westin St. John a try and that you enjoyed your stay overall. While I was happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service, our helpful and friendly associates, and your room accommodations, I want to apologize for the delay in your welcome package and also the delay you experienced at the sales tour. I will share your feedback with our Starwood Vacation Ownership Management team so that they are aware and can make the necessary changes to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced in the future. I also want to apologize for the cost quality of our dining options. It sounds as though you enjoyed many aspects of our resort but that your stay could have been better. We hope you will return for a second trip so that we can provide you with a true Westin experience, one that not only meets, but exceeds your expectations. Thank you again.

1,809 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We organized a family reunion with my parents and my parents in law and got room 2612. The room offered 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a good size living space. We all fit comfortably. Despite the low season and the remodelling of a portion of this lavish resort, we had access to all activities, a restaurant by the beach, a deli and several little events organized daily for the guests entertainment. The room was clean, restaurant had good food. The deli at times was extremely slow, but that depended on the person on staff for the day. We also undertook an organized tour of the island, which was fun, and enjoyed the Watersports centre for scuba diving and snorkelling. Again I was impressed with their efficiency, pleasant attitude and knowledge of the staff. Mini electric golf carts were going around the facility to ride clients at any time of the day.
All in all an excellent place. Good BBQ plaza comprising 5 BBQs overlooking the bay, that got cleaned the next morning upon usage.
The beach is nice, clean, quiet and the water quite transparent. The best thing was to lay in the shade looking at the sea and order a cold rum punch from the bar. ( Always when it was not already listed as the event of the day...then it'd come to you for free!)
The only two little negatives:
- the mini market was out of the resort and w/o a car, loading up too much grocery was a bit uncomfortable.
- I think there was a nest of cockroaches in the dishwasher door panel, and those critters kept coming out every night in the dishwasher.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your review and for choosing St. John as the destination for your family reunion. We are honored that you chose the Westin for such a special occasion and were happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your three-bedroom Bay Vista Villa. I will share your feedback with my Management team in an effort to improve in the areas you suggested. We appreciate your kind words and also your suggestions for improvement. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Stevensville, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was our second trip to the Westin. We originally rated it a "5"...since then we've been privileged to spend vacations at some exceptional properties that really are 5* -> Four Seasons -Nevis, Firefly-Mustique, Fairmont-Barbados, Grace Bay Club-Turks...Now the best I can give the Westin is a 3.5. They do enough to qualify as a slightly above average property...but miss on so many of the little things that distinguishes a great vacation at a great place.
1. Beach is OK - too much sea-grass for me...If you go ... go toTrunk Bay - where they will rent you a chair and an umbrella--beautiful water & beach. The beach staff at the Westin is very good thought...but the water is not clear blue.
2. This is the ONLY resort we've ever been to (including the crummy ones - Plaza-Bonaire & Long Bay - Tortola) that did not have a manager's cocktail party - COME ON GUYS - EVERYBODY DOES THAT!
3. Nothing special - No Beach cookout, No entertainment, No great breakfast buffet, no free coffee in the lobby or at the beach ... NOTHING.
4. One room service / day...no turndown..no extra towels in the evening, no flowers in the room..no tea or snacks around 4PM (Tea Time for the Brits).
5. One restaurant/bar - that's it.

---HONESTLY, I GET THE SAME "MEETS MINIMUMS" SERVICE AT A HOLIDAY INN!

While there - they were undergoing a massive refurbishing project that even eliminated the beautiful pool area for us and left us on the beach listening to the sweet sounds of nail guns and jack-hammers.

St John is a great destination..and the Westin will get better after they finish the construction program...but it will never be a "special destination"...because they don't make you feel special. We travel to the Caribbean every year on our anniversary...every year we get SOMETHING....flowers in the room....sometimes some fresh fruit...often a complimentary bottle of champaign...Something??? Again...sadly I think this beautiful property lacks the commitment to detail that so many others execute upon...As I overheard one guest comment - At the Westin...."It's all about the money and not about the guests!"

Don't get me wrong...this is not a bad destination...it's just not as great as it could be! the management runs it like a hotel and not like a resort.

Great restaurants and bars in the city (Asolare, The Terrace, The Waterfront...Woody's...the Beach Bar...Sun Dog...Tap Room -> forget the ride to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs...a dirty looking bar with no view and no charm!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in excellence you experienced during you stay. Our beach is in fact man-made, so I do apologize if you were inconvenienced by the sea grass. We encourage our guests to get off property and enjoy the unparalleled beauty of St. John so I was happy to hear you enjoyed Trunk Bay. Please know that we do in fact have an Owners Meeting and Reception every Monday evening. I am unsure whether or not you are an Owner, but please join us next time if so. I apologize that you were not provided with complimentary coffee in the lobby or flowers in your room. We do provide Starbucks coffee in our resort rooms and also at the Mango Deli, located on property and you can purchase flowers from a local florist to be placed at your room at any time. We are currently undergoing an extensive renovation so our pool bar, Snorkel’s is in fact closed while our pool is being renovated. Beach Café is operating normally for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Mango Deli is also available from 6:30am to 9pm. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future so that we can do our best to provide you with a refreshing stay.
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

From the friendly attitude of the employees to the gorgeous sites this place is a winner!!! All kinds of beach and water activities as well as wonderful food we loved this place!!!!!! I would suggest this hotel to anyone who asks. As a matter of fact I would sing its praises from the rooftops!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your short, yet very sweet review. We appreciate your kind words and were very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our associates. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We are members of the Starwood Prefered Guest program but couldn't get into the timeshare section, so we used points to get here in a hotel unit.
It is just a mile from Cruz Bay, but you have to take a taxi or drive into town since there is no sidewalk and the road is very narrow, curvy, and hilly. There are always taxis there to take you where you want to go and they have pricing on the window for you. It costs $10.00 for two to go to Cruz Bay.
They have golf carts to run you from one part of the resort to another. You can call and they will pick you up or they will take you when they pass you.
The one thing that we knew about was the construction on the poolside hotel units and pool deck. It would have been nice to use the pool at night, but the beach is right there.
Our concierge Eric met with us and made some great suggestions for things to do and places to eat. He suggested we do the island taxi tour which was an excellent idea. We rented a dingy boat in Cruz bay at Noah's Little Ark and explored many beaches. The Westin also has an on site car rental (O'Conner Car Rental) where we rented a car for a day to visit the rest of the island. They have Cruz Bay Watersports to rent boats, snorkel gear, and schedule excursions. We were not happy with their service - see the review.
They have a deli that is very convenient for sandwiches, breakfast items, drinks, and anything you need in a pinch. There is also a grocery store just 100 yards down the road from the Westin.
We had a great vacation and would recommend the Westin Resort to anyone looking for a great vacation spot.
We hope to book a timeshare unit for our Son's honeymoon next August.

• Stayed October 2013
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. We value our SPG members and appreciate your feedback. While it sounds as though you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service, Eric at the Concierge desk, and our dining options, I want to apologize that your experience with Cruz Bay Watersports left you disappointed. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor and we look forward to your return.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Checked in last night. Was assigned a room that looked just alright. But as night progressed I started getting asthma from the mold inside the room. The tub water drained very slowly and the room carpet was dirty. Bathroom was very moldy and rusty. When I asked for an upgrade I was told upgrade are for time shares only. So my take away is 'it's a cheap motel unless you are a time share' hmm. Interesting. I got a similar room swap done. 1 floor up. Let's see how it goes. Will posting pictures from the old room shortly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your review. I am unsure who you spoke to regarding the condition of your room, but upgrades are not just for our villas, so unfortunately, I am unclear what you are referring to. Please feel free to speak to our Management team while you are on property instead of continuing your vacation disappointed. We are currently in the middle of a multi-million dollar renovation, so we are aware and addressing the issue of tired and dated rooms. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I certainly hope we can address them while you are with us so that you leave relaxed, refreshed, and at your best. Thanks again.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Westin St. John Airport Lounge gave my boyfriend and I a bad first impression when we had to go back to the St. Thomas Airport the morning after we arrived due to damaged and stolen luggage; we stayed on St. Thomas the night we arrived and went to St. John for the second night. After missing our cruise due to a flight delay (mechanical problems), spending extra money to catch the cruise ship in St. Thomas, having luggage damaged and stolen, and wasting our vacation driving back to the airport we found the woman working the lounge was very rude. My boyfriend explained that we were waiting for the lady at the baggage desk to come back to make a claim and that we had a reservation at the Westin. Instead of being hospitable and letting us in the air-conditioned lounge while waiting and offering us water, she ignored us and let us stand in the hot airport.

Once we got the resort, the gentleman working the front desk was very friendly and the complete opposite of the woman we encountered at the airport and made us forget about her. He upgraded us to a three bedroom, three full bathroom, two balcony timeshare villa. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, laundry detergent, and dryer sheets were all supplied. The villa was super nice and bed very comfortable! If I had a timeshare, this would be where I would have it! The villa was very modern and up to date.

We ate the Beach Cafe for lunch and the pizza was very good. We went there for dinner due to getting a food credit from the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. The food was pricey, I am not sure if it the going price on the island or it was supposed to be fine dining. I really hope it was not meant to be fine dining as service was poor and food was nothing special. We also got a voucher for a fruit plate and banana bread breakfast, I probably wouldn't have paid for this but having a voucher was nice.

We didn't make use of the pool but it looked very nice. We did enjoy the beach. The water is very salty so you can almost float without any effort. We had brought our snorkel gear and went snorkeling. Near the cliff you can see birds diving for fish where we saw a shark rounding up a ton of fish. The beach was well groomed.

The resort is pretty big but there is plenty of friendly staff working the golf carts. If you are walking they will stop and ask if you'd like a ride. I wish I could have stayed here longer than one night. If I were staying more than one night I would use their ferry service which ironically starts at their airport lounge.

Room Tip: The villas on the top of the hill are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apologies for the way you were treated at our Airport Lounge after already experiencing a frustrating situation regarding your luggage. I was glad to hear that our Front Desk Agent at the resort was able to turn your vacation around from the time of check-in, but I will be speaking with my Front Office Manager in reference to our Customer Service at the airport. It sounds as though you enjoyed your stay otherwise, and I was happy to hear that. Thanks for posting your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!