This was our second trip to the Westin. We originally rated it a "5"...since then we've been privileged to spend vacations at some exceptional properties that really are 5* -> Four Seasons -Nevis, Firefly-Mustique, Fairmont-Barbados, Grace Bay Club-Turks...Now the best I can give the Westin is a 3.5. They do enough to qualify as a slightly above average property...but miss on so many of the little things that distinguishes a great vacation at a great place.
1. Beach is OK - too much sea-grass for me...If you go ... go toTrunk Bay - where they will rent you a chair and an umbrella--beautiful water & beach. The beach staff at the Westin is very good thought...but the water is not clear blue.
2. This is the ONLY resort we've ever been to (including the crummy ones - Plaza-Bonaire & Long Bay - Tortola) that did not have a manager's cocktail party - COME ON GUYS - EVERYBODY DOES THAT!
3. Nothing special - No Beach cookout, No entertainment, No great breakfast buffet, no free coffee in the lobby or at the beach ... NOTHING.
4. One room service / day...no turndown..no extra towels in the evening, no flowers in the room..no tea or snacks around 4PM (Tea Time for the Brits).
5. One restaurant/bar - that's it.
---HONESTLY, I GET THE SAME "MEETS MINIMUMS" SERVICE AT A HOLIDAY INN!
While there - they were undergoing a massive refurbishing project that even eliminated the beautiful pool area for us and left us on the beach listening to the sweet sounds of nail guns and jack-hammers.
St John is a great destination..and the Westin will get better after they finish the construction program...but it will never be a "special destination"...because they don't make you feel special. We travel to the Caribbean every year on our anniversary...every year we get SOMETHING....flowers in the room....sometimes some fresh fruit...often a complimentary bottle of champaign...Something??? Again...sadly I think this beautiful property lacks the commitment to detail that so many others execute upon...As I overheard one guest comment - At the Westin...."It's all about the money and not about the guests!"
Don't get me wrong...this is not a bad destination...it's just not as great as it could be! the management runs it like a hotel and not like a resort.
Great restaurants and bars in the city (Asolare, The Terrace, The Waterfront...Woody's...the Beach Bar...Sun Dog...Tap Room -> forget the ride to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs...a dirty looking bar with no view and no charm!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 1,200 feet of private beach The Westin Resort St. John, USVI is a tropical retreat that's easy to reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Westin St. John Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin St. John Resort And Villas
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Westin Cruz Bay
- Cruz Bay Westin
- St John Westin
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Cruz Bay