“What a beautiful place!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Cruz Bay
Garden City, New York
“What a beautiful place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

From the friendly attitude of the employees to the gorgeous sites this place is a winner!!! All kinds of beach and water activities as well as wonderful food we loved this place!!!!!! I would suggest this hotel to anyone who asks. As a matter of fact I would sing its praises from the rooftops!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thanks for your short, yet very sweet review. We appreciate your kind words and were very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and our associates. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

1,900 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We are members of the Starwood Prefered Guest program but couldn't get into the timeshare section, so we used points to get here in a hotel unit.
It is just a mile from Cruz Bay, but you have to take a taxi or drive into town since there is no sidewalk and the road is very narrow, curvy, and hilly. There are always taxis there to take you where you want to go and they have pricing on the window for you. It costs $10.00 for two to go to Cruz Bay.
They have golf carts to run you from one part of the resort to another. You can call and they will pick you up or they will take you when they pass you.
The one thing that we knew about was the construction on the poolside hotel units and pool deck. It would have been nice to use the pool at night, but the beach is right there.
Our concierge Eric met with us and made some great suggestions for things to do and places to eat. He suggested we do the island taxi tour which was an excellent idea. We rented a dingy boat in Cruz bay at Noah's Little Ark and explored many beaches. The Westin also has an on site car rental (O'Conner Car Rental) where we rented a car for a day to visit the rest of the island. They have Cruz Bay Watersports to rent boats, snorkel gear, and schedule excursions. We were not happy with their service - see the review.
They have a deli that is very convenient for sandwiches, breakfast items, drinks, and anything you need in a pinch. There is also a grocery store just 100 yards down the road from the Westin.
We had a great vacation and would recommend the Westin Resort to anyone looking for a great vacation spot.
We hope to book a timeshare unit for our Son's honeymoon next August.

• Stayed October 2013
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. We value our SPG members and appreciate your feedback. While it sounds as though you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service, Eric at the Concierge desk, and our dining options, I want to apologize that your experience with Cruz Bay Watersports left you disappointed. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor and we look forward to your return.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Checked in last night. Was assigned a room that looked just alright. But as night progressed I started getting asthma from the mold inside the room. The tub water drained very slowly and the room carpet was dirty. Bathroom was very moldy and rusty. When I asked for an upgrade I was told upgrade are for time shares only. So my take away is 'it's a cheap motel unless you are a time share' hmm. Interesting. I got a similar room swap done. 1 floor up. Let's see how it goes. Will posting pictures from the old room shortly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your review. I am unsure who you spoke to regarding the condition of your room, but upgrades are not just for our villas, so unfortunately, I am unclear what you are referring to. Please feel free to speak to our Management team while you are on property instead of continuing your vacation disappointed. We are currently in the middle of a multi-million dollar renovation, so we are aware and addressing the issue of tired and dated rooms. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I certainly hope we can address them while you are with us so that you leave relaxed, refreshed, and at your best. Thanks again.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Westin St. John Airport Lounge gave my boyfriend and I a bad first impression when we had to go back to the St. Thomas Airport the morning after we arrived due to damaged and stolen luggage; we stayed on St. Thomas the night we arrived and went to St. John for the second night. After missing our cruise due to a flight delay (mechanical problems), spending extra money to catch the cruise ship in St. Thomas, having luggage damaged and stolen, and wasting our vacation driving back to the airport we found the woman working the lounge was very rude. My boyfriend explained that we were waiting for the lady at the baggage desk to come back to make a claim and that we had a reservation at the Westin. Instead of being hospitable and letting us in the air-conditioned lounge while waiting and offering us water, she ignored us and let us stand in the hot airport.

Once we got the resort, the gentleman working the front desk was very friendly and the complete opposite of the woman we encountered at the airport and made us forget about her. He upgraded us to a three bedroom, three full bathroom, two balcony timeshare villa. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, laundry detergent, and dryer sheets were all supplied. The villa was super nice and bed very comfortable! If I had a timeshare, this would be where I would have it! The villa was very modern and up to date.

We ate the Beach Cafe for lunch and the pizza was very good. We went there for dinner due to getting a food credit from the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. The food was pricey, I am not sure if it the going price on the island or it was supposed to be fine dining. I really hope it was not meant to be fine dining as service was poor and food was nothing special. We also got a voucher for a fruit plate and banana bread breakfast, I probably wouldn't have paid for this but having a voucher was nice.

We didn't make use of the pool but it looked very nice. We did enjoy the beach. The water is very salty so you can almost float without any effort. We had brought our snorkel gear and went snorkeling. Near the cliff you can see birds diving for fish where we saw a shark rounding up a ton of fish. The beach was well groomed.

The resort is pretty big but there is plenty of friendly staff working the golf carts. If you are walking they will stop and ask if you'd like a ride. I wish I could have stayed here longer than one night. If I were staying more than one night I would use their ferry service which ironically starts at their airport lounge.

Room Tip: The villas on the top of the hill are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apologies for the way you were treated at our Airport Lounge after already experiencing a frustrating situation regarding your luggage. I was glad to hear that our Front Desk Agent at the resort was able to turn your vacation around from the time of check-in, but I will be speaking with my Front Office Manager in reference to our Customer Service at the airport. It sounds as though you enjoyed your stay otherwise, and I was happy to hear that. Thanks for posting your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is the second time we went back.

We are time share owner. We stayed in a 3 bedroom pool villa. However, we barely use the pool because there are too MANY beautiful beaches that you want to hang out during the day. Some of these beaches are just heavenly. It is not crowded like St Thomas. St John is truly a paradise. St Thomas beaches are crowed with people everywhere you go.

Food is expensive here. Before we got there, We purchased all the food and drinks packed them in the back of our rental car at St Thomas. You save about 20 to 25 % of food bill.
From St Thomas to St John is a 40 minutes slow boat ride from Red Hook, St Thomas. It cost 50 dollars round trip per car. It does not matter how many people in the car.

Westin is great with all sorts of activities. (Pool is closed for renovation for three months). They have deli shop, fitting center, Spa, Kid zone, open ground, playground for kids, beach activities, shops. Staff is friendly and helpful. I will go back there in a heartbeat. St John Island makes you feel that you are away from all the stress in the world. Taste of heaven.

One small thing, I was bitten alive by mosquitos at the Westin computer area trying to print out boarding passes for the family. I was miserable for three days with itching and scratching. They really should have some sort of device to kill mosquitos in the computer area. It is like a death trap. I have learned my lesson. Next time I go there, I will wear my winter clothes and gloves as well as spreading myself with insecticide to avoid this miserable experience.

It was all good until the last night at the computer desk. However, I will still go back again. Next time, I will be prepared for Mosquitos attacks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
As an Owner, we truly value your feedback and thank you for once again choosing The Westin St. John. I’d also like to thank you for providing so many details regarding our resort’s amenities and the services our guests can enjoy. I do apologize about the abundance of mosquitos near the Guest Computer area. I will have my staff look into possible solutions so that our guests can be comfortable while utilizing this area. Thanks again for posting a review and we’ll see you next time.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

After 10 years my husband and I finally found ourselves on the beautiful St.John. We were worried when we were told (prior to our arrival) that the pool would be closed. I wanted to write my review to assure potential visitors that the pool was really an after thought all week. You are surrounded by some of the worlds most beautiful beaches..take advantage of them!! We enjoyed the beach at the resort as well as visits to several others on the island(Trunk Bay was breathtaking). Don't cancel your trip because of the pool being closed because that would be a big mistake. The staff here was great. The grounds are pretty and clean. The food served at the resort was very good. We had a few minor issues but nothing that would stop me from recommending this lovely resort to anyone. It was a fabulous vacation. I'm daydreaming about going back soon:)

• Stayed October 2013
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay. I was absolutely delighted to hear that you were not inconvenienced by our pool closure and renovations taking place on property. Thanks again for sharing this with future guests. We’ll be daydreaming of your return as well. We look forward to it.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Westin is a beautiful resort. However, the beach is really nothing to write home about. The best beaches are outside the resort..Maho bay..Trunk bay...Water is always warm and inviting! St. John's is one of my family's favorite places on earth. Real island feel with little to no commercialism.

Room Tip: Food is so expensive. If you rent the villa, I bought most of my groceries in St. Thomas. It'll...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at The Westin St. John. We were glad to hear you were able to get off property and enjoy the unparalleled beauty of our little island. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!