“I have a new favorite vacation spot” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Lexington, Kentucky
“I have a new favorite vacation spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the welcome at the airport until the day we had to leave, this place was amazing. The staff was wonderful-everyone always waved and made us feel like family. If you go, be sure to take Mr. Penn's tour of the island. His taxis are the main transportation around the island and he made our trip extraordinary. We stayed in one of the villas and it was wonderful

Plan to visit the other beaches on the island. The Westin beach was ok, but the others are spectacular.

Even though we caught the edges of tropical storm Gabrielle, we still managed to have some good beach time and went snorkeling with the turtles on Maho Bay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us, your villa accommodations, and Mr. Penn’s Island Tour. He will be delighted to know just how much he enhanced your stay. I was glad to learn that you were able to experience the unparalleled beauty of our beaches on St. John – Maho is one of my favorite spots for turtles. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The Westin St John was a great place to stay while enjoying our amazing vacation. The amenities & the staff are top notch. The Westin's restaurant overlooking the bay is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen at sunset.

• Stayed August 2013
Many thanks for your short, yet very sweet review. We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and hope to see you again in the near future for another one of those spectacular sunsets.
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

After reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was very concern about the Westin St John. I expressed by concern when checking in at the Westin desk in the airport. I had complied a list of the rooms and section that I wanted to stay in. The representative on duty at the airport was Rehema Jackson,she was a true professional. For every objection that I gave her from the room to their boat service she reassured me that I would be satisfied with the service. My stay required me to stay in a studio 4 nights, then move to a 2 bedrooms unit for the next 7 days. My room was upgraded to the two bedroom for my entire stay. She informed me that when possible they try to accommodate the guests so that they don't have to change rooms. My first Wow ! , Next i was concern about the Westin Ferry, some reviewers complained about the boat not being available.
She handed me a schedule of operations which clearly stated the hours of departures and returns.
Unlimited trips during the hours of operation made the flat fee worth it for my husband and I .
I had to admit that every effort was being made to satisfy us as new guests. My husband asked for recommendations for local cuisine. She gave him three restaurants that was sure to have his favorite dish. We thanked Rehema and left the airport for our trip to the Westin.
Upon arrival in our room, we were pleasantly surprise with my husband's favorite dish waiting for us, along with a nice note. We immediately called the front desk asking for the employee at the airport because she was the only one we had a conversation with about local cuisine. The staff was very excited that they had surprised us. The representative informed us that their supervisor called and arranged everything. Great team work . Wow factor # 2 !..
Later that evening I met a family that checked in at the same time with us at the airport. I told her about my WOW! Experience, and she told me that her son had received a birthday gift and card in his room as well. WOW #3
The Westin is definitely trying to improve their service standards,every employee that I have encountered have been most helpful. I'm truly happy with my stay here, and encourage others to give them the opportunity to WOW them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you very much for sharing your review. On behalf of the entire staff at the Westin St. John, we all appreciate your kind words regarding Rehema Jackson and her team. She is our Front Office Manager and based on your feedback, is doing all the right things to ensure that both she and her team are providing our guests with outstanding service. I have shared your review with my entire staff and management here at The Westin St. John, and I was so proud to learn just how much your stay was enhanced. Your story is a perfect example of the Customer Service we strive to provide to all of our guests, and I was pleased to learn your stay exceeded your expectations and that you were WOW’ed by the service you received. We truly thank you and hope to welcome you back very soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our honeymoon and found the room to be small and worn. It was musty and the bedding was stained... The bed killed my back and I was in pain most of our trip. The daily housekeeping service was sub par and the cushions at the pool were disgusting. I lifted 2 of the cushions and there was gum under both. The staff was friendly but they drove golf carts on the walking paths and you were constantly dodging them. We've stayed in a villa before and will go back to staying at a villa going forward. We travel frequently and this Westin was sub par.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for expressing your concern and sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that arose during your stay. It is my understanding that my Executive Assistant has been in touch with you and provided compensation for all of the inconveniences during your stay. Please feel free to reach back out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. Thanks again for letting us know of areas that need improvement. We hope to welcome you back to see the progress firsthand
Stow, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The westin in cruz bay, is a very relaxing, large resort, and you will feel very much like you are in your own private island. We went in the off season, so very few hotel guests. There is no actual "hotel", but rather many small villas and condos. With the resort being so large, you will do a lot of walking, but there are golf carts that you can catch a ride on. Staff is friendly and helpful, with the exception of some of the restaurant staff. Resort is beautiful, with the exception of the rooms needing updated, but that is currently taking place. The cafe is great for getting a sandwich or coffee, about $10- $12 a sandwich. Nice pool, but really, you don't come to the island for the pool, so we didn't use it. Also, there are so many beaches, some of the best in the world, so if your coming here to stay on the resort only, I am not sure if I would recommend, since this is the bay, which is still very nice, but the water is nowhere near what you will see on other parts of the island. If you are looking to use this as a place to relax and sleep, it is an ideal place to go. Like I said , food is limited, (one restaurant and a cafe) and just ok beach for the island. Gym is really nice, but limited on space. Overall, very nice resort if your looking for a place to sleep and wind down at the end of the day. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin St. John. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, our helpful and friendly staff, spacious pool and Westin Workout center. Thank you for sharing this information with future guests and we hope to see you again very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a nice hotel but not sure if it was the quality of most Westins. We didn't have a table or coffe table in the room. It made it hard for us when we ordered room service. There was no place to eat bu on the bed. That was pretty terrible. Also, we paid extra for honeymoon upgrade. We got a free bottle of rum. That was about it. They didn't make us feel special at all. I wouldn't go back. Plus, the bugs were out of control. Bitten from head to toe our first day. It would have been nice if the hotel advised us of this problem and suggested we put on bug spray. They did have a sign on the patio door to keep the screen closed. St Jphn is absolutely stunning, though!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for sharing your review and congratulations on your recent marriage. I apologize that you did not feel special during your stay, as we strive to provide you with a relaxing and renewing stay, especially for your honeymoon. I’d also like to add a sincere apology for the concerns that arose during your stay regarding any insects and that you were not informed of the possibility of bugs. Being a tropical island, we do experience noseeums, sand fleas, and other tropical biting insects which are very often mistaken for other more insidious bugs. Both noseeums and sand fleas are common on the beaches. Starwood and the Westin St. John have a very aggressive pest elimination protocol in place and our staff is trained to response immediately to any concerns. In order to inform our guests of the presence of insects, we do have “Beach Tips” cards placed in guest rooms and around the resort to warn our guests of biting bugs and advise that they take extra precaution. Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to provide you with a true Westin experience.
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Having Starwood points, I have used them here many times for both a standard room and a studio villa (same number of points). The hotel allows you beach views and is much closer to things. The villas provide no views. Both are run down and have a constant musty smell. As expected the food prices are quite high, which makes the villas a good deal. You can cook. The hotel room did have a mini fridge, so we could make salads and sanwhiches for nights we wanted to be cheap. We tend to spend most of time away from the hotel and out snorkelling. The beach at the Westin is nice to watch the sunset, but to hang out there for more than a day is not appealing to us. The chairs are old and breaking down, getting towels can be difficult on some days and problem on others. Next to the landscaping on the grounds, the best feature is the gym. It is decent sized with almost everything you need. It is my biggest draw to here over a house, I have stayed here many times, and while the Westin itself is not the main draw, it a fine place to lay my head at night after a day full of snorkelling and hiking. I will continue to return.

Room Tip: I like the first floor of the hotels, as you have a nice space to sit outside. The older villas are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your comments regarding your past stays at the Westin St. John. While our resort rooms are in need of a refresh and are part of a major renovation currently taking place, our villas are rather new and in great condition. Many of our beach chairs have been recently replaced, and 65 new chairs were just placed on our beach. Towels can always be found at our pool hut and are consistently available for guest use. I was glad to hear you enjoy our Westin Workout and beautifully landscaped grounds. Thanks again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!