“Beautiful setting but limited” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Palm Coast, Florida
“Beautiful setting but limited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Tis Westinghouse is in a beautiful location and we did get upgraded to a beautiful 2br villa. But they only have two restaurants and ja deli which are good but if you want to go to town you must either have a rental car or pay $10 each rt cab fair. So if you are staying here get groceries or be prepard

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing a review and for your suggestions regarding the dining options on property. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to one of our two-bedroom villas and that you found the location of the Westin St. John to be pleasing. There is a market, St. John Market, located right across the street from our property – we encourage guests to utilize this option if they choose. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Lucasville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I am a platinum spg member and selected this property for its location on St. John. However the location amenities staff and options have made it one of the best vacation weeks of my life. I spent tues - thurs on the Cruz bay dive boats and other days challenging St. John. The folks at th Westin made this an excellent vacation.

• Stayed May 2013
Thanks very much for your feedback. We appreciate your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts and very much value your opinion as a Platinum member. I was quite pleased to learn that your vacation with us is now deemed as one of the best vacations of your life. We hope to have you back with us soon so that we are able to provide you with another refreshing stay. Thanks again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We are platinum SPG members and stayed at the Westin on St John from April 28 - May 9 using points. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a two bedroom villa on the hilltop overlooking Cruz Bay and it was a wonderful experience.

The resort is beautiful, the grounds and pool are well maintained. The villa was pretty nice although it could use a little updating. Overall, we were very pleased with the accommodations and would like to thank the Westin at St John for acknowledging our continued loyalty to the SPG brand.

I've read other reviews regarding the service at the Westin and our experience overall was pretty good. Two people that went above and beyond to make sure that our time on St John was memorable were Jordan Beason, front desk associate, and Akima Marsh, Manager of the front desk. We were so impressed with their personal service and great attitude that we left word with the GM before leaving how much we appreciated all that they did for us. We also really appreciated the service we received from the woman at the onsite car rental place, unfortunately we did not get her name but she was very nice and helpful.

That said, we did encounter a few employees who were somewhat rude. Particularly the ladies in the deli seemed annoyed with dealing with customers and we witnessed an argument between one of our housekeepers and her boss. Quite frankly, I was shocked at how the housekeeper spoke to her superior - and in front of guests no less!

Some of the restaurants are a little over priced but we enjoyed the food. Overall our experience at Westin, St John was pretty good and we'd recommend it to others vacationing on St John.

Room Tip: splurge on a villa if it's within your budget.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
As a Platinum SPG member, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review and share it on Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I was happy to hear that you were upgraded to a two-bedroom villa and that you enjoyed the accommodations and recognition of your status. I received your voicemail and will share your feedback regarding Jordan and Akima with their manager, and also speak to our on-site car rental regarding your positive experience with them. I am confident all parties involved will be very pleased to learn that they enhanced your stay. However, I want to apologize for the Customer Service you received in Mango Deli and the encounter you witnessed regarding our Housekeeping associates. I will speak with my staff regarding those incidents and ensure that that kind of Service and behavior does not occur again. Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon.
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for 10 days, 7 days we were in the Bayside Villas and 3 days at the hotel. During our time in the villas, we had another couple that were travelling with us. We had a 2 bedroom villa in the Bayside Villas and these rooms I would give a 5 star. The rooms were up to date, clean, and had everything we wanted. Although I am not sure how they would sleep 8. The hotel rooms are ok - they are clean, beds are comfortable; just not what you expect of a Westin. Having said that - we didn't see any problems that other reviewers have complained about and found that the style of the room were more island feel and fit in with the rest of the island. I am a Starwood owner and having travelled to Atlantis several times with the timeshare, this is my first time to St John and would have to say the villas are much better than the ones at Atlantis.
My husband went diving with Cruz Bay Watersports that left directly from the Westin dock. He really enjoyed the dive spots and thought the divemasters were exceptional. The service at the bars and restaurants were ok. The employees were not rude, they just were not the friendliest - this I attribute to the culture not the employees themselves.
The only complaint I have is in regards to the timeshare sale. This part was the only downfall of the trip and I will say that we did not end up attending and our friends did not either - but the saga with scheduling and the "rules" they told us that Starwood had was ridiculous.
The one suggestion that I would give to the Westin is to rethink how they charge and run the Westin ferry from St Thomas. We did not take this ferry due to the expense; for 4 of us it would have been $440 plus tips to get from the airport to the Westin. The convenience it provides is wonderful, but for 4 people who had no plans to go back and forth from St Thomas except for their flights - this was alot of money to pay. If you are travelling and going to go back and forth to St Thomas on multiple trips then the money would be well spent - but I think the Westin should offer an a la carte menu to the ferry where instead of offering unlimited trips on the ferry, allow the guests to buy roundtrip or single trips for less money.
Overall, the Westin was an excellent vacation and as previous reviewers have stated it is in a perfect location to Cruz bay and we plan on returning soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We sincerely appreciate your review and your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As an Owner, we take your feedback very seriously and were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. It sounds as though you, your husband, and your friends all had a great stay and we appreciate your suggestions regarding our ferry transfer. I will share this feedback with our Service Express Manager so that he can evaluate and review pricing regarding our ferry options. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to providing you with a renewing stay upon your return.
Manhattan Beach, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Love this place, beautiful grounds, friendly staff, villas are super nice...we usually go to other beaches on the island, like Trunk and Maho, but come back to Westin for late afternoon cocktails and a swim

• Stayed May 2013
Thanks for your review and for your kind words regarding The Westin St. John. We’re glad to hear that you find our grounds beautiful, our associates friendly and our villa accommodations nice. We were also glad to hear you are able to spend some time at the beautiful beaches of St. John and that you utilize our resort as a home base to come back to daily and relax. Thank you again and please come back soon. We look forward to welcoming you.
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin resort for 10 days for our honeymoon. We choose this resort because: 1) we really wanted to go to the Caribbean, and 2) I am Platinum on SPG and am very loyal to Starwoods hotel. I was really looking forward to staying another Westin because they are my favorite chain. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed about choosing this location for my honeymoon. I will definitely visit it again, but not for such a momentous occasion.

But let’s start off with the positives-
Location: The hotel is in a great location. The hotel is in Cruz Bay which is the more populated of the two towns. With a taxi ($5) or car, you can quickly get to restaurants, shopping, the public ferry, grocery store, etc. You don’t feel trapped in the resort and hotel’s line of open air cabs makes St. John very accessible.
Resort Grounds: The resort grounds are very well cared for. A lot of people complained about walking far. We were next to the pool, which is a distance from the main entrance and Café that serves breakfast and dinner, didn’t have any problems getting around. Staff members in Golf carts offered us rides.
The Pool and Beach: The pool was very large and clean. The hot tub was slightly removed from the pool, so it didn’t attract too many kids. The beach was clean and full of loungers. Some people in previous post complained that they had difficulty getting a pool or beach lounger. My husband and I didn’t have any problems ever. There were always several available. Until 4p daily, beach servers were able to take your food and drink order from your lounger and bring it to you.
Kids: Many people have complained about the kids, but during our stay, I didn’t find them to be a problem. Most were well behaved and were more interested in playing in the pool than bothering us. I didn’t find them to be a problem.
Activities: The hotel offers lots of fun activities. My husband was a good sport and watched “The Princess Bride” with me during their outdoor movie night. We also did a beer tasting. Plus you can use the paddle boards, kayaks, etc for free, which we did.
The rooms: Our room was directly by the pool. We had a nice outside patio. When the door was shut, we could not hear the traffic outside or our neighbors. It was surprising quite.

Now for the negatives-
The rooms: We were “upgraded” to a pool side room. The rooms are ridiculously outdated and small. While they have updated the shower, they failed to update the nasty rusted soap tray in the shower. Also, the sink had rust stains around the facets and the mirror was peeling. The roof over our patio was old and leaking. I left my bikini out to dry and when it rain, mildew / gunk from the roof dripped on my bikini and stained it. They did opt to change our rooms, but it was further away from the pool and beach so we declined. I would not pay the published rate of $360/nt for these rooms. That’s a rip off.
The staff: OK, now I know several people have complained about how slow the staff is, but we didn’t find that to be a problem. We have traveled throughout Central America and realize that not everyone operates 100mhp like Americans. We were looking forward to the relaxed atmosphere, even if that meant slow service. While we didn’t have any problems with the speed of the service, we found it to be incredibly rude. It was strange- the housekeeping staff was jovial but some of the servers and the front desk clerks were rude and had bad attitudes. For example, every morning I came down for breakfast at the Café and requested a table by the water. Every morning, the hostess would tell me, “let me see if I have something available,” even though it was not very busy (I didn’t ask on mornings that it was). She had a very begrudging attitude. My husband heard the servers bad mouth other guests. And checkout was another issue. I requested a late checkout, and as a Platinum guest, I can get a 4p checkout. When I called the Express Services, the lady who answered was very annoyed and said they were at 98% capacity and it wouldn’t be possible. She then transferred me to the front desk, where the staff member allowed us to check out an hour later. But when I came by room at 1p, when we wanted to check out, nobody had cleaned it yet. At check out, I had a billing issue, the wrong card was charged and I was charged for a meal that was supposed to be complimentary. When I requested both to be corrected, the girl did so with a big attitude. At one point, she asked her coworker, “What is the amount you get for Platinum breakfast?” Because, I knew and she was standing directly in front of me, I responded with, “It’s $20pp or the continental breakfast.” Her coworker was distracted, so she asked again completely ignoring me. Again, I responded and her coworker did not. Again she ignored me and asked her coworker, who finally responded with the same answer I gave. During the whole process, she was unapologetic and rude. I understand errors happen and it’s no big deal. I wasn’t being unreasonable in my request but she acted like it was a big ordeal for her to fix their error. I have also worked in the service industry and understand how tough it is, but that does not mean you have to have a bad attitude.
Treatment as a Platinum Guest or Honeymooner: Forget it, you are not getting anything special here. We got a mini (and by mini I mean one glass each) bottle of Champagne sent to our rooms by the ladies at the front desk the second night there. These girls were really nice and were helpful whenever we had questions about restaurants and places to go. When we mentioned it was our honeymoon, the girl sent a little bottle of champagne up to the room. Honestly though, I know that information was on file because my Platinum Concierge wrote it in my reservation. I have gotten better amenities from Starwoods locations for normal, uneventful stays. The Westin in Lima once sent an entire dessert tray to my room just because. And the Marriott I stayed at on my wedding night sent an entire regular bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. I also tried to use suite nights and get an upgrade but got nothing. The only thing that is nice is the Platinum breakfast. The hotel allows you pick from $20 from the menu or get the continental breakfast. My husband and I ordered off the menu every time.

Having said all that, would I stay here again… yes. The location, grounds, activities, etc are great. The rooms need some serious updating. The staff needs some training. And they need to change how they handle special guests. I wouldn’t come for my honeymoon… but it definitely a nice getaway location for a “regular” vacation.

Room Tip: The Pool Side rooms are surprisingly quite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As a Platinum SPG member, your feedback is very important to us and we sincerely appreciate you choosing The Westin St. John for your honeymoon. Congratulations on your recent marriage! While it sounds as though there were many aspects of our resort that you enjoyed, I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Dated and tired room accommodations and an apathetic staff are certainly not conditions you were expecting or should ever have to experience while staying with us. We are in the process of evaluating future room renovations, so we thank you for your suggestions and concerns. I will also address the Front Desk and Food & Beverage staff to ensure that they are going above and beyond to assist our guests. We truly hope your stay overall allowed for a wonderful ten day honeymoon. If you’d like to discuss your stay in further detail, please reach out to us at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Westin St. John. We stayed one night in the hotel, and 7 nights in a villa. The hotel was nice, but in need of a little renovation, but as with most Westin's you know what you are going to get...a comfy bed, nice bathrooms, and all of the amenities you would expect with a Westin. The villas are amazing. We had a 2 bedroom loft, and we loved it. It was just 2 of us, but the villa could sleep up to 10, but I suspect that might be a little crowded. The kitchens have everything you need if you want to cook, but we didn't do much of that as there are so many wonderful restaurants in St. John. The grounds are well maintained, the staff very nice and helpful, and it is in a great location. We rented a Nauti Nymph charter one day and explored the nearby islands...very fun and highly recommended. The gym and tennis courts are very nice as well. All in all, we loved our stay.

Room Tip: We were in Building 27 which we thought had a great view. The 2 bedroom lofts are wonderful. I wou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Your eight day stay sounds as though it exceeded your expectations and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. I was pleased to read that you found your two bedroom villa convenient and spacious and that you were able to cook when necessary. Thank you for your kind words regarding our grounds and associates. We truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you again and please come back and see us again soon.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!