“Vacation in paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
“Vacation in paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I love this resort. My husband and i have had a timeshare at this resort for 12 years. Have been coming with our children ever since our honeymoon. Great food, awesome pool, lovely scenery, and best of all... The snorkeling at the beaches in St. John! All the restaurants in the local part of St. John are fantastic, and even more fantastic if you drive or take a ferry to Coral Bay where there is: Shipwreck Landing and Skinny Legs. We stay at a hillside two bedroom villa for 1 week and a bay vista villa for 1 week as well. Both locations are wonderful, but i prefer the hillside villa because you have your own tiny pool in walking distance to your room (not the main pool) and the villa reminds me more of home. The staff is kind and welcoming when you come off the boat ferry and you get nice punch with rum in it :). I also love that smoking isn't allowed at the main facilities and the people have to smoke away from the pool. I can actually enjoy my stay without people giving off that awful smell! Now if you r a smoker, you will not enjoy this rule. Again, stay at this resort. It is beautiful and rejuvenating!

• Stayed July 2012
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
As an owner, your feedback is extremely valuable to us and I’d like to thank you personally for posting a review on Trip Advisor. How wonderful it was to hear that you have been coming here with your children ever since your honeymoon! Thank you for the details and your recommendation of our Virgin Grand villas and also activities around St. John. I was happy to hear you enjoy the amenities provided to you and find our staff at The Westin St. John to be friendly and welcoming. We look forward to seeing you again next year. And the year after, and the year after that…

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
The Villages, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I want to be as fair as possible. On the positive side, the Westin has a beautiful location; great staff; and a gentle ambiance that is good. However, when we checked in to our room, there were some significant cleanliness issues; a room safe that had to be repaired costing me a few hours sitting in our room; and, as another review said, a tired property badly in need of significant guest room renovation. Our room quality was certainly not as expected for pricey accommodations. The restaurants were of good quality and pricing is as expected. At this time, I could not recommend this property as a desirable place to stay. With some renovations to update the rooms and some better training for room cleaning staff, this certainly has all the potential in the world. We left feeling that we received insufficient value for our travel investment..and that is a shame considering the potential of this property.

Room Tip: Sorry..our room was the primary reason for our review.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that upon checking into your room, you experienced cleanliness and safe issues. We appreciate your feedback regarding renovations, as we are aware of the need for updates. We are currently in the process of evaluating future renovations with Starwood, and are hoping to get started on that very soon. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future so that you can see our improvements firsthand and leave with exceeded expectations.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We just returned from 6 days at The Westin. I'll break up this review into a few different parts.

Hotel:
We are Starwood Gold members, and were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite upon our arrival. We have a 3-year old, so being able to put him in a separate room just made our vacation that much better (everyone got some sleep!) We had been there 7 years ago, but stayed in the hillside villas which are very far from the pool/beach, so this was our first time on the actual hotel property. Let me be clear - we had a great experience at The Westin, but whoa, is this resort tired. The reviews are right. Nothing has been touched/updated since the room was built (except for the Heavenly Bed!) The track lighting, pink cabinets, and glass block were all very 80s and shabby. But we really didn't care - the view was amazing, and the room was big, and we were really only in the room to sleep. The pool is fantastic, but is missing a bunch of tiles, especially in the little kiddie area, and my son cut his foot on one sharp missing tile corner. This really needs some attention.

Food:
The food is expensive, and breakfast, in particular was annoying. Mango's Deli runs out of food really quickly, and the sit-down Beach Bar is way overpriced for breakfast. Dinner at Cruz Bay Prime was really good. We had amazing service (Dmitrius?) and wine, and they were really nice to my 3-year old even though it wasn't a really kid-friendly restaurant.

Ferry transport:
The Westin Ferry is great and convenient, but be prepared for when your flight lands - we were on one of the flights that lands at 12:45 and had to wait until the 3pm ferry. LONG wait with a kiddo after an already long day of travel.

Service:
Contrary to some of the reviews on TA, we had a really great experience with the service. My son locked the door to the bathroom one morning, and someone was there to fix it within 5 minutes. We called for the room to be serviced in the morning before naptime, and it was, every day. Every staff member we encountered was really helpful and cheerful.

Other restaurants:
We ate off of the property most of the time. La Tapa and Fatty Crab were amazing. The food was unique, fresh and fabulous. My son was fine in both places as well - they had fried rice at Fatty Crab which he loved, and he shared our paella at La Tapa. Banana Deck was fun, great atmosphere, and great for kids. For lunch, drive off of the property 5 minutes and go to the Marketplace shopping center and get to-go lunch from Sam and Jack's Deli. Delish! And so much better than the bar food at the pool restaurant at Snorkels (and cheaper!). Skinny Legs in Coral Bay is a bit of a ride but also great for lunch.

Finally, we did the Westin sunset cruise after Kekoa cancelled on me 12-hours in advance of our scheduled sail. But the Westin cruise was fantastic - and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Definitely our favorite activity of the trip.

Love St. John, and the Westin has great potential once they renovate the property. But I have to give them credit - the grounds are impeccably maintained, and they try to do the best with what they have.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your detailed review and also for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As a Gold SPG member, your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback. I want to apologize for the tired condition of your room, the tiles at the pool, and your experience at our dining outlets. Please know that we are currently working to renovate our property, and we are hoping to start on that very soon. I will speak with my Engineering team regarding the tiles at the pool, as you are correct, the tiles need immediate attention. Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. Without your feedback, I am sometimes unaware of areas that need improvement. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just spent an amazing nine nights at the Westin ....from the minute we arrived we were treated with smiling faces and extremely friendly staff. During our stay we had the pleasure of meeting Ivy, Ricky and Jeffrey who all ran the shuttle carts throughout the resort. All three were amazing and made us smile every time we saw them.

Will definitely return on a future vacation as the accommodations including on site restaurants were great. Rooms were comfortable and the pool was beautiful. Many amenities available at resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and your recommendation. I was happy to hear that many of our associates enhanced your stay and brought a smile to your face during your vacation. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back as a guest in the future.
Clay Center, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary here.
Accommodations are fantastic! We stayed in a Beachfront room. The view was the best! We spent every morning on the patio drinking coffee and enjoying the amazing view.
The staff is very courteous. It took us a few days to slow down and get used to the islands “laid back” attitude. Don’t be in rush, after all, that’s what it’s all about.
We took the Sunset cruise that is offered on the resort. I highly recommend it. The kids running it made it an experience we will never forget.
I recommend using the Westin Fairy for ease in traveling from Island to Island. We did not do that the first time, but will from now on.
We plan on going back every year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Happy Belated Anniversary and thank you for choosing The Westin St. John for your special occasion! We truly enjoyed reaching your review and learning about your stay. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your Beachfront room accommodations, helpful and friendly associates, and our on-site watersports company, Cruz Bay Watersports. I was also glad that you not only have plans to return every year, but you plan to utilize our convenience ferry transfer as well. We truly appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back next year. See you soon.
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

As 5 Star elite members of Starwood, we have stayed in many locations around the Caribbean, Mexico and the mainland. This is a truly beautiful island with a number of great beaches for snorkeling and swimming. Unfortunately, things drop off rather precipitously thereafter.

The hotel complex is spread out with golf carts shuttling guests around from their rooms to the beach, lobby, entrance of the complex to go food shopping. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the timing of the shuttles so be prepared to do some walking.

The rooms are acceptable; however, there are some minor annoyances that should not be present in a resort of this quality. Some examples are:

- TV's have no HDMI plugs in the back to hook up personal entertainment. And, the DVD players that are in the rooms only play DVD's, not Blu-rays so make sure that if you are taking some night time movies (or TV Series as we did), they are only in DVD format.

- For the egregious price of meals, the food is at best mediocre. You are far better off buying breakfast stuff for the room, then eating other meals in town where there are a number of very good restaurants at reasonable prices.

- In our experience, the Westin farms out some of its services like the beach activities. Thus, if you run into problems with the beach staff/services, do not expect the Westin to step in to support the guest.

- While I noticed some complaints about the staff, our experience was actually very positive. Certain members of the staff clearly go out of their way to ensure you are having a pleasant stay. Occasionally, there was the "Walking Dead" individual, but they were the minority.

As someone else already said, nice experience, but can scratch this from the bucket list and will not return.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. As Five Star Elite Members, your feedback is very important to us and I was most disappointed that your recent stay did not exceed your expectations. Please be assured that our shuttle service is offered complimentary and that while there is no specific schedule, you are able to call Service Express at any time to request a shuttle. I will share your feedback regarding the televisions and DVD players with our IT department, so hopefully they will be able to implement some updates in the near future to accommodate our guest's needs. I was delighted to hear that your experience with our staff was a positive one and that you felt as though they went out of their to ensure your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback. Without it, I am oftentimes unaware of areas that need improvement. We hope you will return in the future so that we can change your mind about The Westin St. John and provide you with a relaxing stay that leaves you feeling refreshed and revitalized.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We are Starwood Preferred account holders and chose the Westin because we wanted a fitness center (this is one of the only resorts with a true "fitness center") and good restaurants. For the price we found this resort to be disappointing. I had heard so many great things about St. John and on day two were trying to figure out what we had to do to make it a better experience. (thank you Trip Advisor friends!)

First, you have to rent a car. We were going to take a taxi everywhere at the recommendation of a friend because you are right next to town and not far from several beaches. This island is gorgeous, and there is no way you will experience it without a vehicle. The rental car company is right on property so it is easy to do and driving on the left side is no big deal here. You have to drive SLOW given all of the terrain. The cabs are open-air trucks that carry about 15 people. You are often times waiting on people and dealing with obnoxious tourists so it was nice to go out on our own.

You have to get away to experience the beaches. Often times you park, hike to a great beach, and experience some of the best snorkeling I have ever done. It is common to find turtles, sting rays, and yes we even saw baby sharks. Visit the St. John forum on TA to get all of the latest tips on what to do on the island. Make sure you take a day to visit Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, or Virgin Gorda BVI.

The Westin sits on a beautiful bay, the grounds are very nice, but this is not the place you want to be all day long. We did not stay at this beach or pool once. It was a place to rest our heads at night, and for the price and our very outdated room it was not worth the price AT ALL. They need to update the standard rooms. The beach restaurant for breakfast was decent, but I agree that the service was not good. Some posters were right that it is apparent that the staff do not like tourists. That being said, after seeing some guests at this property, they are used to being treated poorly and once they discover that you are nice and hospitable they can be just fine. And yes, the Westin does not foster loyalty. One staff member was giving us the low-down on where else to stay.

It is clear this is the place to stay for families. We were without our kids, and if I do it again I definitely found other places we will stay. I would NOT recommend this resort to honeymooners or couples trying to get away to relax. I have typed up a separate document with suggestions on restaurants, other resorts, and favorites beaches. Feel free to email me offline, and I would be glad to send.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing your opinions with future potential guests. We appreciate you choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation, and although you found the resort to be a disappointing value, it sounds as though you enjoyed many of our amenities and the unparalleled beauty of St. John. Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions. We are currently evaluating future renovations so we hope to welcome you back to a new and updated room accommodation next time you are with us. Thank you again.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!