“Nice grounds, could use an update” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice grounds, could use an update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our stay at the Westin St. John met expectations. The grounds are very well kept and there is adequate staff to get you what you need. The rooms are pretty nice but really need an update. Some of the ceilings are low and the floors clammy. The bed is comfy and the balcony/deck area is something to enjoy. We really liked the location and felt safe here. The bottom line, the place is so magical and lovely, we could overlook any small detail that wasn't perfect about the Westin.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation. I was happy to hear that you found our grounds well-kept and our staff helpful and friendly. Thank you for your feedback regarding the rooms – we are currently evaluating future renovations, so your comments are extremely important to us and will only aid in speeding up the process. We are so glad you felt safe and that you enjoyed the location of the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed at the Westin for the first time for two nights 3/21-23. We booked a resort view with two double beds considering we have two children. I researched and it showed rooms had balconies, considering it is important to us. Upon arrival we were told we were upgraded to an ocean front room on the second floor and that the rooms on the second floor did not have balconies (which was a lie because only the last room on each end of the second floor did not have balconies). What type of upgrade is that! We were coming from the cold and wanted to enjoy sitting on the balcony and opening the door to hear the ocean. We told them we didn't want the upgrade and they said they had nothing else for us. What a joke we paid the same price for a room where you could not open any door (except front) or any window. We will not be returning to the Westin,
there are much better places to stay on the island. What a disappointment.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't request double beds or you could end up with an upgrade to a room that gets...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
We appreciate your comments and want to thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I want to apologize that you considered your vacation with us a disappointment and that you have no plans to return to The Westin St. John. Please know that our associates were not dishonest when they informed you that our double bedded rooms on the second floor do not have balconies. The two rooms on the end that you saw without balconies are the only double bedded rooms on that floor. Our associates strive to provide you with a relaxing and rejuvenating stay, so please accept my apologies that your experienced was marred by the fact that we were unable to provide you with the room accommodation you desired. Unfortunately, during your stay, the occupancy of the resort did not allow for an additional room move, and I too am disappointed that we were unable to turn your stay around. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We certainly hope you will stay with us again. We’d love the opportunity to provide you with a stay that not only meets, but exceeds your expectations and restores your faith in The Westin St. John. Thank you again.
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Westin from 3/25-4/1. Let me preface this by saying at first I was skeptical after reading negative reviews that guests had posted. Having said that, from the time we arrived at the Westin for check-in and all during our week-long stay, we found that everyone was accommodating and helpful. We had a standard King room and it was more than adequate and was updated. The golf carts were frequent, the concierge was very gracious and helpful in arranging our excursions, dinners etc. and the front desk was accommodating as well. This was not our first trip to St. John; we usually stay on St. Thomas and take the ferry back and forth, but after staying at the Westin on St. John and the service they provided, we look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Building 23 - updated and on the quieter side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. John and for not letting any negative reviews deter you from seeing our wonderful resort for yourself. We truly appreciate your comments and I was happy to hear that many associates from various departments assisted in ensuring that you had a refreshing stay. We are so glad and honored that you gave The Westin a try and that you now plan on staying with us during your vacations to the Virgin Islands. Thank you again – we can’t wait to have you back.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

So we are now on day 5 of our trip here at the Westin. The hotel is full of families and kids. It is not a peaceful or romantic spot by any means. The regular hotel rooms are very basic and small - barely enough room for an add'l chair to sit on but no ottoman. I travel a lot and stay in Westin & St. Regis in the USA & Europe & have stayed all over the Caribbean so I have a lot of hotels & rooms to compare it to. The room is at the lower-end of what I would consider a decent Westin. The facilities are nice, but not great compared to a lot of other resorts I have stayed in. Being a Platinum member, getting the free continental breakfast ($20/person) is definitely the best perk here. The work-out room is extremely nice and big. The beach is so-so, but great for families with kids as there is no surf at all, calmer than most lakes that I have been to. At the same time, I like to take the Hobie Cat sail boats out whenever I am here in the Carribean, and you really can't do that b/c there are a ton of boats in the bay and you aren't allowed to leave the bay. Overall, if I wasn't using points for the entire stay, I would be very disappointed in paying $400-$500/night for this place. I have stayed in much nicer resorts in St. Lucia & Turks & Caicos for similar prices.

We went out on Stormy Petrel & Penny Pirate's day charter boat. Great way to spend the day as you get to go over to the Virgin Gorda Bathes and do some snorkeling. I would highly recommend it for couples and families.

I would also recommend renting a car for the day and seeing all of the other beaches and parts of the island. Lionel's car rental is very close (3 minute cab) and $15/day cheaper than the car rental place here on the property. It is only a $5 cab ride or 15 minute walk and Lionel, the owner, will give you a ride back to the hotel after you drop off the car

We haven't eaten at the resort except for breakfast. However, we have heard that the steakhouse is very good - very similar to a Mortons or Ruth Chris.

Room Tip: If possible, you really want a room next to the pool or beachside. The "garden" view room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As a Platinum member, your comments are very important to us. While it sounds as though you enjoyed many of our amenities, I want to apologize for the things that did not exceed your expectations. Here at the Westin St. John, we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly resort, but please accept my apologies if an abundance of children disrupted your stay. I was glad to hear that you took advantage of your Platinum amenity and received complimentary Continental breakfast but was disappointed that your room accommodations were not up to standards. Please know that we are currently evaluating future renovations so we look forward to having you back so that you can see our improvements firsthand. Again, thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again soon, especially so you can try Cruz Bay Prime!
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

In an earlier posting, I mentioned that I'd follow up with a review of our stay and here it is.

We just had a great return visit to St. John and stayed at The Westin. The resort was superb, our room was fabulous and the individual attention from the staff has improved greatly since our last stay 2 years ago.

My personal compliments to GM Mike Ryan and Operations Director Mark Heinemann for getting things back on track at this beautiful property after suffering some serious damage from storms.. As I mentioned in a brief review upon arrival, I’m a Lifetime Platinum SPG Member, and I’ve seen my share of hotel rooms and this stay clearly EXCEEDED expectations.

The facilities were wonderful – our room was perfect, maid service was impeccable and done around our schedule. Additionally, all staff overall were very good and it was nice to see some familiar faces again.

We enjoyed breakfast every day at the Beach Café, and the area at Snorkels and around the pool is better than ever – including new chairs and a very efficient new towel pick and drop off system. The waterfront was the best it has ever looked and we took full advantage of the watersports area by using kayaks and paddle boards every morning. The fitness area was also in good shape with a friendly attendant always present. Although we didn’t take advantage of the tennis courts this time, they also appeared to be in good condition. Shuttles were always handy and it was apparent a lot of care and attention has been spent on the landscaping.

St. John itself was also looking very good. The beaches, trails and National Park areas were all clean, well maintained and they’ve made nice additions to the facilities at Maho Bay. Cruz Bay was also looking at its best with the work that was done on the main square by the ferry dock and the addition of Fatty Crab restaurant is welcome - our dinner there was excellent. Our favorite evening out has always been Zoso’s and it didn’t disappoint.

An excellent vacation, can’t wait to go back. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you once again for posting a review regarding your recent stay. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post not one, but two reviews raving about your vacation to The Westin St. John. I also want to thank you for your kind words regarding both myself and Mark Heinemann and the improvement that you’ve seen on property. I was glad you had such a wonderful time and were able to enjoy so many of our amenities. We appreciate your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts and we look forward to once again having you as a guest at our property.
NoVA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This Westin was nice/average but not as amazing as other Westin resorts.

The good:

Do the Westin ferry shuttle from the airport. It may seem to be more expensive ($120 RT adult; $90 RT children under 12) but it is more convenient (dockside serice to/from the Westin) and included unlimited trips between STT and STJ. The ride itself is 30-45 minutes.

Mostly the service - most of the staff seem very service oriented - the bar, the pool, the golf shuttle drivers, the ladies in the Mango deli, the front desk, the car rental lady, and room service (surprisingly quick).

The activities - fortunately Cruz Bay Watersports is located on site - we did parasailing and the BVI tour. We also rented snorkeling equipment from Cruz Bay and drove to a couple of the beaches one of the days. We did see sea turtles at Maho Bay and we saw several fish at Cinnamon Bay but there were much fewer fish than the last time I was in STJ and much fewer than what we saw when we went snorkeling in Hawaii.

The beach was very nice and relaxing. There were plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas even though lots of people reserve them early in the day by placing their items on them and showing up a few hours later. There were lots of restaurant staff walking around taking food and drink orders. There is a very nice pool and pool bar.

The gym was large with plenty of exercise equipment - treadmills, elipticals, bicycles, weight machines, and free weights.

The Mango Deli - is a little shop on-site that sold drinks, coffee, pastries, sandwiches, pizza, beer, wine, fruit. It is a good place to go if you don't get groceries in town, and you don't want to pay the higher prices in the restaurant or bar.

The not so good:

We had two rooms and both were just average rooms and old; they could definitely use a make-over. Both had king beds, large screen TV, dresser, desk/desk chair, mini-fridge. In fact one only had one wicker chair, the other room didn't have any which I thought was odd. I will say our room appeared to be clean; the bathrooms were nice an clean. Quite frankly, once you close the blinds and just looked at the room you could have been at any number of lower end hotel rooms back on the mainland - unimpressive and disappointing given the price.

Some service - the travel/concierge lady (I won't mention names) only seemed able to do one thing at a time, even my kids got tired of waiting for her; the Beach restaurant waiter (also won't mention names) was simply horrible - he spoke very softly and we had to ask him to repeat what he said every time. Worse, he was slow with everything...so much so we were asking other wait staff for our items.

Restaurant prices - the prices were very high, particularly given the food was just ok. The continental breakfast is $20, the full breakfast buffet was $28. Dinner entrees seemed to average $25+. We didn't even go to the higher end Cruz Prime restaurant because the prices were much higher and we decided to go into town to eat at the local restaurants.

Other things to note:

There is a taxi service to town at a cost of $5/person each way - about a 5-10 min drive. You won't want to walk to town. You can also rent a car from the rental agency on-site (A Wrangler would cost $540/week or $93/day - seemed odd to me too). It was more economical for us to take the taxi since most of our activities were on property or with Cruz Bay and we went into town for dinner and a little shopping. We did rent a car one day so we could go to different beaches, then drive into town for dinner. The risk with the one day rental is there is no guarantee you get a car (or get one the day you want it) as the only way to reserve a car is a minimum 3-day rental. We just got lucky.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the pool area, unless you don't mind the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your detailed review and for bringing your family to The Westin St. John. We appreciate your feedback and were glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient ferry transfer, helpful and friendly staff, Westin Workout facility, Mango Deli, and our on-site watersports company. Please accept my apologies for those amenities that did not exceed your expectations – dated room accommodations and slow service are certainly not things you were expecting or should ever have to experience while staying with us. We are currently evaluating future renovations, so we appreciate your feedback. I will share your concerns with my Management team so that they can take further action to ensure we are providing our guests with a rejuvenating stay. Thank you again for posting your review – we hoe to welcome you back in the future.
Hanover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin in St John many times and always enjoy it. The hillside villas are the perfect place for our family of 4. The staff is always friendly, relaxed and accommodating and I find their easygoing attitudes rub off on my husband and me. After just a day or two by the Westin pool our stress and pressure from the Northeast simply melts away! Our daughters love the pool and the many activities offered for children. The resort is a very special place for us and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We were delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing The Westin St. John as your vacation destination. We appreciate your kind words regarding our helpful and friendly associates, and we are glad that they were able to get you and your husband on “island time” during your time with us. We strive to provide our guests with a renewing and relaxing stay, and it sounds as though you left feeling refreshed – nothing makes us happier. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for both your review and your recommendation.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!