“Great vacation; love St. John!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Huntington, New York
“Great vacation; love St. John!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Westin from 3/25-4/1. Let me preface this by saying at first I was skeptical after reading negative reviews that guests had posted. Having said that, from the time we arrived at the Westin for check-in and all during our week-long stay, we found that everyone was accommodating and helpful. We had a standard King room and it was more than adequate and was updated. The golf carts were frequent, the concierge was very gracious and helpful in arranging our excursions, dinners etc. and the front desk was accommodating as well. This was not our first trip to St. John; we usually stay on St. Thomas and take the ferry back and forth, but after staying at the Westin on St. John and the service they provided, we look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Building 23 - updated and on the quieter side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. John and for not letting any negative reviews deter you from seeing our wonderful resort for yourself. We truly appreciate your comments and I was happy to hear that many associates from various departments assisted in ensuring that you had a refreshing stay. We are so glad and honored that you gave The Westin a try and that you now plan on staying with us during your vacations to the Virgin Islands. Thank you again – we can’t wait to have you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

So we are now on day 5 of our trip here at the Westin. The hotel is full of families and kids. It is not a peaceful or romantic spot by any means. The regular hotel rooms are very basic and small - barely enough room for an add'l chair to sit on but no ottoman. I travel a lot and stay in Westin & St. Regis in the USA & Europe & have stayed all over the Caribbean so I have a lot of hotels & rooms to compare it to. The room is at the lower-end of what I would consider a decent Westin. The facilities are nice, but not great compared to a lot of other resorts I have stayed in. Being a Platinum member, getting the free continental breakfast ($20/person) is definitely the best perk here. The work-out room is extremely nice and big. The beach is so-so, but great for families with kids as there is no surf at all, calmer than most lakes that I have been to. At the same time, I like to take the Hobie Cat sail boats out whenever I am here in the Carribean, and you really can't do that b/c there are a ton of boats in the bay and you aren't allowed to leave the bay. Overall, if I wasn't using points for the entire stay, I would be very disappointed in paying $400-$500/night for this place. I have stayed in much nicer resorts in St. Lucia & Turks & Caicos for similar prices.

We went out on Stormy Petrel & Penny Pirate's day charter boat. Great way to spend the day as you get to go over to the Virgin Gorda Bathes and do some snorkeling. I would highly recommend it for couples and families.

I would also recommend renting a car for the day and seeing all of the other beaches and parts of the island. Lionel's car rental is very close (3 minute cab) and $15/day cheaper than the car rental place here on the property. It is only a $5 cab ride or 15 minute walk and Lionel, the owner, will give you a ride back to the hotel after you drop off the car

We haven't eaten at the resort except for breakfast. However, we have heard that the steakhouse is very good - very similar to a Mortons or Ruth Chris.

Room Tip: If possible, you really want a room next to the pool or beachside. The "garden" view room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As a Platinum member, your comments are very important to us. While it sounds as though you enjoyed many of our amenities, I want to apologize for the things that did not exceed your expectations. Here at the Westin St. John, we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly resort, but please accept my apologies if an abundance of children disrupted your stay. I was glad to hear that you took advantage of your Platinum amenity and received complimentary Continental breakfast but was disappointed that your room accommodations were not up to standards. Please know that we are currently evaluating future renovations so we look forward to having you back so that you can see our improvements firsthand. Again, thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again soon, especially so you can try Cruz Bay Prime!
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

In an earlier posting, I mentioned that I'd follow up with a review of our stay and here it is.

We just had a great return visit to St. John and stayed at The Westin. The resort was superb, our room was fabulous and the individual attention from the staff has improved greatly since our last stay 2 years ago.

My personal compliments to GM Mike Ryan and Operations Director Mark Heinemann for getting things back on track at this beautiful property after suffering some serious damage from storms.. As I mentioned in a brief review upon arrival, I’m a Lifetime Platinum SPG Member, and I’ve seen my share of hotel rooms and this stay clearly EXCEEDED expectations.

The facilities were wonderful – our room was perfect, maid service was impeccable and done around our schedule. Additionally, all staff overall were very good and it was nice to see some familiar faces again.

We enjoyed breakfast every day at the Beach Café, and the area at Snorkels and around the pool is better than ever – including new chairs and a very efficient new towel pick and drop off system. The waterfront was the best it has ever looked and we took full advantage of the watersports area by using kayaks and paddle boards every morning. The fitness area was also in good shape with a friendly attendant always present. Although we didn’t take advantage of the tennis courts this time, they also appeared to be in good condition. Shuttles were always handy and it was apparent a lot of care and attention has been spent on the landscaping.

St. John itself was also looking very good. The beaches, trails and National Park areas were all clean, well maintained and they’ve made nice additions to the facilities at Maho Bay. Cruz Bay was also looking at its best with the work that was done on the main square by the ferry dock and the addition of Fatty Crab restaurant is welcome - our dinner there was excellent. Our favorite evening out has always been Zoso’s and it didn’t disappoint.

An excellent vacation, can’t wait to go back. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you once again for posting a review regarding your recent stay. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post not one, but two reviews raving about your vacation to The Westin St. John. I also want to thank you for your kind words regarding both myself and Mark Heinemann and the improvement that you’ve seen on property. I was glad you had such a wonderful time and were able to enjoy so many of our amenities. We appreciate your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts and we look forward to once again having you as a guest at our property.
NoVA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This Westin was nice/average but not as amazing as other Westin resorts.

The good:

Do the Westin ferry shuttle from the airport. It may seem to be more expensive ($120 RT adult; $90 RT children under 12) but it is more convenient (dockside serice to/from the Westin) and included unlimited trips between STT and STJ. The ride itself is 30-45 minutes.

Mostly the service - most of the staff seem very service oriented - the bar, the pool, the golf shuttle drivers, the ladies in the Mango deli, the front desk, the car rental lady, and room service (surprisingly quick).

The activities - fortunately Cruz Bay Watersports is located on site - we did parasailing and the BVI tour. We also rented snorkeling equipment from Cruz Bay and drove to a couple of the beaches one of the days. We did see sea turtles at Maho Bay and we saw several fish at Cinnamon Bay but there were much fewer fish than the last time I was in STJ and much fewer than what we saw when we went snorkeling in Hawaii.

The beach was very nice and relaxing. There were plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas even though lots of people reserve them early in the day by placing their items on them and showing up a few hours later. There were lots of restaurant staff walking around taking food and drink orders. There is a very nice pool and pool bar.

The gym was large with plenty of exercise equipment - treadmills, elipticals, bicycles, weight machines, and free weights.

The Mango Deli - is a little shop on-site that sold drinks, coffee, pastries, sandwiches, pizza, beer, wine, fruit. It is a good place to go if you don't get groceries in town, and you don't want to pay the higher prices in the restaurant or bar.

The not so good:

We had two rooms and both were just average rooms and old; they could definitely use a make-over. Both had king beds, large screen TV, dresser, desk/desk chair, mini-fridge. In fact one only had one wicker chair, the other room didn't have any which I thought was odd. I will say our room appeared to be clean; the bathrooms were nice an clean. Quite frankly, once you close the blinds and just looked at the room you could have been at any number of lower end hotel rooms back on the mainland - unimpressive and disappointing given the price.

Some service - the travel/concierge lady (I won't mention names) only seemed able to do one thing at a time, even my kids got tired of waiting for her; the Beach restaurant waiter (also won't mention names) was simply horrible - he spoke very softly and we had to ask him to repeat what he said every time. Worse, he was slow with everything...so much so we were asking other wait staff for our items.

Restaurant prices - the prices were very high, particularly given the food was just ok. The continental breakfast is $20, the full breakfast buffet was $28. Dinner entrees seemed to average $25+. We didn't even go to the higher end Cruz Prime restaurant because the prices were much higher and we decided to go into town to eat at the local restaurants.

Other things to note:

There is a taxi service to town at a cost of $5/person each way - about a 5-10 min drive. You won't want to walk to town. You can also rent a car from the rental agency on-site (A Wrangler would cost $540/week or $93/day - seemed odd to me too). It was more economical for us to take the taxi since most of our activities were on property or with Cruz Bay and we went into town for dinner and a little shopping. We did rent a car one day so we could go to different beaches, then drive into town for dinner. The risk with the one day rental is there is no guarantee you get a car (or get one the day you want it) as the only way to reserve a car is a minimum 3-day rental. We just got lucky.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the pool area, unless you don't mind the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your detailed review and for bringing your family to The Westin St. John. We appreciate your feedback and were glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient ferry transfer, helpful and friendly staff, Westin Workout facility, Mango Deli, and our on-site watersports company. Please accept my apologies for those amenities that did not exceed your expectations – dated room accommodations and slow service are certainly not things you were expecting or should ever have to experience while staying with us. We are currently evaluating future renovations, so we appreciate your feedback. I will share your concerns with my Management team so that they can take further action to ensure we are providing our guests with a rejuvenating stay. Thank you again for posting your review – we hoe to welcome you back in the future.
Hanover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin in St John many times and always enjoy it. The hillside villas are the perfect place for our family of 4. The staff is always friendly, relaxed and accommodating and I find their easygoing attitudes rub off on my husband and me. After just a day or two by the Westin pool our stress and pressure from the Northeast simply melts away! Our daughters love the pool and the many activities offered for children. The resort is a very special place for us and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We were delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing The Westin St. John as your vacation destination. We appreciate your kind words regarding our helpful and friendly associates, and we are glad that they were able to get you and your husband on “island time” during your time with us. We strive to provide our guests with a renewing and relaxing stay, and it sounds as though you left feeling refreshed – nothing makes us happier. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for both your review and your recommendation.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Please keep in mind, this is coming from a guy that spends between 75 and 100 nights annually at SPG Properties and I did stay here on points. I would also like to add that, in all my travels, this is the first negative review I have given. With that said, the grounds are really nice, but difficult to get around due to distance, but there is a small help, about 15% of the time, staff in carts will pick you up an give you a ride. This will happen about 1 time per day. If I was not a platinum SPG member, I most likely would give this place a 2, but since I have been so loyal to SPG, well 1. The staff are way to rude and most need to be fired, most specifically the front desk. Javon [--] is one of the worst, and all need retraining. This is a pathetic representation of an SPG property. We requested 5 suite night awards when we checked in, and I was not too dissatisfied when we did not get it. About 95% of the rooms have a balcony, but they managed to find the one room on the property that does not have one and put me in it. After check in, I went to the SPG website to find out what was available and to my surprise, everything was. They had no idea that I had requested suite nights. I guess this is an SPG problem. Just very disappointed to see all those rooms available and to be stuck in a room with no balcony. Out of the 5 nights we were there, the room was only serviced for 3 of them. When I called the front desk, to inquire, I was assured that service had happened that day and they would send someone right up. A little late since we were trying to put our kids to bed. Every time I asked someone a question, they made it seem that I was inconveniencing them. It just started bad, and ended bad. A few more notes to management: 1) put a life guard on the beach, I as the guest should not have to prevent near drowning (and I did), 2) Train your staff on customer service, 3) clean the rooms everyday (you are supposed to do this), 3) $3 for a doughnut is too much, 4) as an SPG Platnum member, why am I being charged for internet when it is supposed to be free for me, 5) you offer non motorized watercraft but it is never available, 6) the bathrooms need some calk to replace the mold, 7) update the rooms and 8) the resort charge for things that are free to Platinum member, well I guess I just don’t get it especially since these are either benefits to me for loyalty or they are not available. I will leave you with this, with over 300 SPG nights; you are officially the worst SPG experience I have had. You are a 1 when everything else is a 9 or better. I am quite certain that a rebuttal or an apology will be posted after this review, and my response that is that it is too late. I am posting this the night before I check out and you had ample time to sort this out.

I will add this, I love the island. Giving locals a ride, the restaurants, the beaches, it is all top notch, I just will be staying somewhere else, next time I come to St. John.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
On behalf of the Staff and Management at the Westin St. John, we’d like to thank you for posting a review and for your consistent loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As a Platinum member, your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to post your recent experience. I want to apologize for the concerns that arose during your stay; a room with no balcony, unhelpful and unfriendly staff, and a lack of complimentary shuttle and Housekeeping service are certainly not conditions you were expecting or should ever have to experience while staying with us. I will pass your feedback onto respective Upper Management so that they can ensure our associates are doing their best to provide our guests with a rejuvenating stay. If you’d like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com. Again, thank you very much for your review and your suggestions and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Oftentimes, without negative feedback, I am unaware of areas that need improvement, so we appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We hope to welcome you back in the future so that we can provide you with a stay that not only meets, but exceeds your expectations.
Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed only one night in February prior to villa check-in. Paid extra to take their private ferry (vs public at 1/5 the cost). They dropped us and then our bags did not show in our room for three hours. I called several times to check on them..."on their way, we will check..." Turns out they had been delivered to wrong room. By the time they arrived the sun had set and my kids missed out on swimming. Rooms old and dated. Restaurant facilities poor and dirty. We paid $600 for the room. This is a common price point for our family. No value here--worth maybe $150. When we checked out, I left my Sonicare toothbrush on accident. I called the next day and they said they had it in security. I went back to get it and all the sudden it was nowhere to be found--wasted time and effort. I would never recommend this place. We stayed a week at Caneel Bay a few years back. Caneel is twice the cost but ten times the value. Go to Caneel or rent a villa. St. John is an awesome island, but this place is not the place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review and for choosing The Westin St. John for your brief February stay. We appreciate your feedback and I will share your feedback regarding your luggage with our Service Express Manager, so that he can evaluate his process and make any necessary changes in order to enhance our guests’ experience. I apologize for the delay in receiving your bags and the inconvenience it caused you and your family. I also want to apologize that your toothbrush was not recovered and that part of your vacation on St. John was spent trying to recover it. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again. We’d love the opportunity to provide you with a relaxing and refreshing stay.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!