“loved it - can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Raleigh, NC
“loved it - can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We rented a hillside villa from a timeshare owner and loved our stay. We rented a 3400 villa - which is at the top of the hillside with excellent views. Getting up the hill by foot requires a steep walk - especially challenging with children. The good news is that there are places to park (if you rented a car) by the tennis courts/pool or you can hop on a free shuttle that runs constantly.

When arriving in STT by air, we HIGHLY recommend you take the Westin ferry. It's worth every penny. On the way to the resort we opted for the public taxi/ferry which ended up costing about the same as the Westin and was fairly stressful (we almost missed the ferry because of the traffic). The public taxi ride was about 30 mins and ferry about 7-8 mins. On the return we opted for the Westin Ferry and it was great - included all gratuities, luggage transfers (they picked up our luggage at the door!), bottles of water, etc. The Westin Ferry ride was 30 mins or so - and very relaxing.

We definitely recommend renting a jeep to get around St. John. We rented one directly from C&C rental which is right on the westin property - making it very easy.

The Westin will have your villa fridge stocked if you fill out the form online ahead of time (go to the Westin St. John website for more info). It was nice to not have to run to the store upon arrival...We also brought breakfast items with us so we were able to eat in the room each morning on our deck.

Tennis was great at the facility - courts were readily available and in good condition. The courts are noted as 'grass' but were more like a turf/clay combo. You can rent racquets as guests for no charge too if you don't want to bring yours.

The beach/bay was very calm and the water gorgeous. Safe for children to play. Additionally the resort provides floats for free to guests along with other water sports equipment like paddle boards and kayaks.

The resort food was great - we especially loved the tuna flat bread sandwich and greek salad with grilled shrimp for lunch.

We rented a 2 bedroom villa which consisted of two bedrooms upstairs (both with king beds) and a kitchen and living room downstairs that had a pullout sofa. The kitchen has a bar with seating along with a dining table/chairs. Additionally, there were three full baths - 2 up and one down. For an additional charge the resort will deliver a rollaway if you need it. Midweek maid service was included too.

The staff was definitely laid back and on island time - but helpful.

We are already talking about our return trip. I cried when leaving the resort - literally!

Room Tip: 3400 building villas have the best views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for your detailed review and for informing future guests of so many of our amenities available here at The Westin St. John. On behalf of the staff and management, we truly enjoyed reading your review and were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of the resort and our beautiful island as a whole. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and hope that you plan on visiting us again. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Westin St. John. I booked the package last minute through Orbitz and was expecting an ocean-view room. We arrived by boat from St Thomas around 10pm and were greeted at the dock by a friendly staffer whom took our bags and escorted us to our room. When we arrived to our room we were amazed to find that it was beach front, I could literally throw a paper airplane and hit the water! Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The resort grounds are amazing as well. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. John for such a special occasion and congratulations on your recent marriage. It sounds as though your honeymoon stay with us exceed your expectations and left you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. We know you have a choice when choosing a vacation destination, and we sincerely appreciate you choosing us. We all enjoyed reading your review and hearing that your room accommodations were everything you wanted. Thank you for posting your review and please come back soon – perhaps for your first anniversary?
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was my fourth time to the island and second time staying at the Westin.We were greeted by Watson,one of the friendliest and happiest employees ! Rum punches in hand was our start to our perfect week. Room was great,view was beautiful,pool fabulous.I am stretching to tell you what needs improvement...Hairdryers were not so great,and the water is weedy and not as clear as other beaches on island.(That is only because I am trying to find a fault,which is tough for me because our family of 5 had the perfect trip).Sue at pool hut great as well,lots of fun activities for kids.Arcade was fun,and photobooth was a big laugh session.I did not eat at any resturants other than beach bar which had super fries!!Housekeeping was great,room was always perfect( I never did get my ladies name who cleaned our room 2234) but she was awesome.My other issue is please, please let Esmerelda out of her cage.For those of you who have stayed here,you know that Esmerelda is the beautiful macaw.She is locked up,and is no longer let out.This needs to be addressed.Don't let one guest who complained make her suffer.I am hoping when I come back,she is in a better situation!!.Overall this resort, and perfect weather made it one of my best island vacations ever,I look forward to next years stay.Thank you.

Room Tip: all rooms are great,but some are quite a long walk uphill.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thanks very much for sharing your review and for choosing to return to The Westin St. John for the second time. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of the resort; from your arrival and rum punch to room accommodations and activities for all ages. I will pass your feedback on to Watson and Sue, and they will be delighted to know that they enhanced your stay. They are both wonderful assets to our company. I will also share your concerns regarding the hairdryers with our Director of Housekeeping so that he is able to evaluate the in-room amenities available to our guests. Unfortunately, at the current time, Esmeralda will remain in her cage due to multiple instances with guests and damage to the property. Please know that we too care about these animals very much and they are in fact released from their cages in the early morning by their caretaker when she comes to care for them. Please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if you wish to discuss this matter further or speak with their caretaker directly. We would be more than happy to assist you in obtaining more information regarding their care. Again, thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third revitalizing, perfect stay.
Metro, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the most relaxing vacation I've ever taken. The island is absolutely gorgeous. The resort has been weathered by storms but they are updating each villa. Our room was literally 10 steps to water. The room shows a little age but still kept clean.

My favorite part of a day was to relax on the patio, sip a drink and watch the sunset. The beaches are cleaned every morning and for the most part throughout the day. We had one bad experience at the beach bar ordering food. Waited for 40 minutes watched others who ordered after us get served same food paid for drinks and left. as we were sitting on beach our server came with the food and profusely apologized. I think it was the manager socializing at bar and not watching kitchen outtake. Otherwise all of our other dinning experience and staff at resort was excellent.

This resort has very friendly people even the security guards. The grounds are stunning and every morning the Gardeners we making something look beautiful.

This will be my go to place and I look forward to seeing renovations.

• Stayed December 2012
What a pleasure it was to read that your vacation with us was one of the most relaxing you’ve ever taken. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. While it sounds as though you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, including your beachfront room accommodations, private beach, and welcoming and friendly staff, I want to apologize for the instance in which your dining experience did not exceed your expectations. I was happy to hear that your server was apologetic and we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding. We too are excited for future renovations, and we look forward to welcoming you back to see our improvements firsthand. Thank you again.
Belle Mead, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed in one of the Hillside Villas during the week of 2/9. The inside was redone a few years ago and the outside was redone last year. As such, all of the Villa buildings are in wonderful shape! I have never stayed in one of the hotel rooms, but I would strongly recommend a villa. They have studios all the way up to 3-bedroom units with private pools. You can't go wrong here.

Also, this was the 4th time we used stjohncondos.com to book the villa. Highly recommended.

We ate at Cruz Bay Prime and the Beach Club (along with several Cruz Bay restaurants) and loved them all. We actually went to CBP twice. Remember to book an early dinner at 6pm, this will ensure that you get a primo window table.

I see a lot of complaints in other posts, but almost all seem to be about the hotel rooms. So once again, stick to the villas!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thanks very much for your review and for sharing your experience with potential future guests. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your villa, Cruz Bay Prime and Beach Café. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back for another refreshing stay!
Gretna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Westin was very nice, roomy and comfy. We had a 3 bedroom, so had an upstairs..had PLENTY of room. (it was my husband and I and another couple)..it was like an apartment, for sure. We had to walk a ways to get to the beach, but you could also call for a "pick up" and they would send someone to get you (then you needed to tip them ea.time,but worth it to me!)..To go into town, taxi would pick you up right at your condo. We went in October..be prepared, it was hot and HUMID..a little adjustment, for me! People were very nice and it was very BEAUTIFUL there at St.John...you must get out, rent a jeep and see all the islands...breathtaking!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Westin St. John. We were happy to read that you, your husband and your friends enjoyed your three bedroom villa and that you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service to get you around property. We appreciate your feedback and look forwarding to see you next time.
chappaqua new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

spent top dollar for a stay on a beautiful island at a mediocre overpriced hotel.my reservation provided free internet for which i was charged 16 per day ,my room wasnt cleaned one day,and the manager shamir joseph is a total dud.mr joseph should not be the manager of a luxury hotel he would serve better as the maid as he doesnt no how to deal with people .The beach is third rate,the restaurants are mediocre and very overpriced.The staff does their best work when trying to sell you a time share.I will definetely return to the beautiful island but not at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation. Our internet options were recently revised, and guests are now prompted to choose a tier upon signing online. Unfortunately it seems as though you chose a tier that had a price attached, but please be aware that the first tier is in fact free internet access, as it is included in our resort fee. I want to apologize that your room was not cleaned one day and that you found our private beach to be third rate and our restaurants mediocre and overpriced. Unfortunately, the cost of living in the Virgin Islands is higher than average costs in cities across the US mainland and many other islands. It is estimated that on average, it is at least 33% higher than most US jurisdictions. Due to this, the price of food both on The Westin St. John property and in Cruz Bay/around the island is higher than average. I sincerely apologize if this inconvenienced you in any way. I’d also like to clarify that Shamir Joseph is part of our Guest Relations department. He is not the hotel manager, nor a Housekeeper. Mr. Joseph is a wonderful asset to our team and assists guests and owners in an exceptional manner. I apologize if your experience with him did not exceed your expectations. Again, thank you for your review.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!