“There was something missing...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Cary, North Carolina
“There was something missing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

By all means I think the Westin St. John is a lovely place and honestly there probably aren't many equal to it on the islands... So for that I do feel bad not having been as "in love" with it as I felt I should have been.

For one I felt that the place is tired. Our bathroom had a weird sewage smell, the appliances were dated and there were some rust stains under the faucets. I get that the area is always humid and there is just so much they can do to get rid of smells and mildew, but we paid a lot per night and I wanted some luxury.

The property didn't feel cohesive to me; the buildings were not designed well (no way to get upstairs to our friends room without having to go out into a torrential downpour to get to the stairs); restaurants were expensive for what they were serving... I just didn't see the value. The pool is exciting for kids but again, dated. I found the cocktails to be sickly sweet.

Staff were mediocre.

I can't say I would like to go back, because honestly I will not return, but it's not because the place is "bad" it's just not what I would like to experience again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing The Westin St. John for your recent vacation. While I am glad you found our resort to be lovely, I was disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for your dated room accommodations, apathetic staff, and also your experience while dining on property regarding the value of our options. I hate to hear that you have no plans to return, but if you change your mind, we’d love to have you back and change your mind, providing you with a refreshing stay that exceeds your expectations. Thank you again and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Ithaca, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights last week, using Starpoints. Even though we used points, our stay was not "free". They have a $40/night resort fee, which is certainly the highest I've ever seen anywhere. This apparently includes free (sloooooow) internet, parking non-motorized water sports, tennis court, fitness center, shuttle, pool, etc. Even Platinum status didn't get this fee waived (we didn't use anything other than internet and parking), but it did get us free continental breakfast each day (which is normally $20/person for pastries and coffee). So it was quite expensive, but maybe worth it if you're there long enough to really use all of the facilities and services.

Our poolside king room was very nice. It was quiet, dry, and nicely climate controlled, with good facilities and of course an amazing bed. However, it really could have been a Westin anywhere - the sand, parrots, and I think the palm trees, were even imported from Puerto Rico. They have a car rental facility on site, which is convenient, since visitors definitely should explore the safe island. The staff was friendly, although quite stiff and formal, with the exception of our porters, who were extremely chatty. Do watch out for the golf carts at all times - they drive fast and without much regard for guests walking down the paths.

So overall this is a very nice (and expensive) hotel, with great services and facilities, but not much St John personality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for leaving it on Trip Advisor. As a Platinum SPG member, your feedback is very important to us. While it sounds as though a few concerns arose during your stay, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your Poolside room accommodations, the island fee of our resort, our friendly associates, and on-site car rental service. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Hillside Villas through our Starwood Timeshare for 1 week, Bldg 31. We used the Westin Ferry for our transportation, pricey but it worked for our flight times, probably will not use next time due to price only. All of the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful, and pleasant. Neil was our guy who brought us to our room and also picked us up a few times, great guy. Teresa Wine our concierge was the best, she was so knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful, felt like we knew her for along time. Our timeshare was clean, comfortable, everything that we have to come expect from a Starwood timeshare property. All the staff we came in contact with were great. Damien from the timeshare sales was great, he was low key which is one of the reasons we probably purchased.We then stayed at the hotel for one night, Bldg 11, we had an ocean front room and we were pleased to find our room was ready when we checked out of our villa and it was clean, no mold or stains as some others have found. We enjoyed our comfortable furniture on both rooms balconies, loved the sunset from our hotel room. We rented a jeep for the week,a must and thank you to everyone on TA for recommending Conrad Sutton, good price, no problems toured the island and the many beaches, encountered nothing but welcoming friendly people throughout our trip, we loved it and plan on returning several more times. Resturant reviews to follow

Room Tip: If staying in the hotel, ocean front room was really nice, enjoyed the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you and your family enjoyed your stay, including your villa, ferry transfer, and our helpful and friendly staff. I will certainly let Neil, Teresa, and Damien know that they assisted you so well and they will be so pleased to learn that they enhanced your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you many more times in the future.
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

After reading some negative comments on TA, we were alittle nervous about our first time staying at the Westin. We stayed Jan 4-18 in a 2 bedroom Bay Villa in building 25. Our villa was lovely, and the staff was pleasant. The only time we encountered unpleasantness was when we went to the counter to have our room keys re-activated because they stopped working and the gal at the counter was rude to us.
The golf carts were excellent in helping transport us to and from the parking lot when we had lots to carry, such as groceries, and luggage.
We enjoyed kayaking, playing tennis, and swimming at the pool at the resort on our down time. Most of our time, we were away from the resort and took advantage of snorkeling at the beaches.
We shopped at the grocery store closest to the Westin. We found their prices to be cheaper than the other places on St. John.
The resort is beautiful, you won't regret your stay at the Westin. It's a lovely place and we are looking forward to our next stay in 2014 :)

Room Tip: The villas are excellent, they have full kitchens :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We too look forward to your next stay in 2014 and thank you very much for your review and details regarding your stay. I want to apologize for the Customer Service you received from an associate at the Front Desk. I will speak with our Front Office Manager and ensure that our staff continues to be friendly and helpful in order to accommodate our guests. Thank you again and I was very glad to hear you enjoyed so many amenities of our resort. We will see you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Loved the Westin St. John , travelled here from jan 2 to jan 11 th. I loved the tranquility of this resort waking up every morning to sit on the deck with a beautiful view. Finished the day with a glass of wine to watch the sunset. Our accommodation was a 2 bedroom villa with in hillside. We bought groceries at the beginning of our stay as my 2 teenagers eat all the time! It would have been nice to have a full oven in the unit instead of just a microwave and cooktop - but BBQ's were readily available so we made good use of them. We had a great meal at Prime steak located at the Westin. Our waiter Warren was exceptional and I would highly recommend trying this restaurant during your stay. Other highlights of our trip included the catamaran trip to Jost St Dyke in the BVI and a drive around the island to enjoy the great views and beaches! Make sure to stop by Miss Lucy's for lunch and more great views. I did not want to leave! A definite yes for a return visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your great review. We appreciate your feedback and love nothing more than to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations and that you didn’t want to leave. I will share your feedback with Warren, and he will be delighted to know he enhanced your dining experience at Cruz Bay Prime. We look forward to welcoming you back for that return visit! Thank you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I spent the first half of our honeymoon at the Westin in St. John. Getting there we flew into St. Thomas and then took a cab from Charlotte Amelie to Red Hook where we grabbed a ferry to Cruz Bay and then took a cab to the Westin. When we booked our trip we wanted to use the Westin ferry service even though it was a little expensive, but since it was our first time to USVI we didn't know what to expect. Unfortunately their ferry times and our flight time did not match up so we ended up just taking the taxi and ferry route which wasn't bad at all and would probably do it again next time we come to St. John.
When we arrived at the hotel we were brought to building 23.The resort is so big that we were shuttled there in a golf cart with our luggage which was nice. Just to be clear we wanted an oceanview room which I believe was the second tier room in this resort (I think they called it a Deluxe Room). In the beginning I loved how quiet and secluded this building was from the rest of the resort, but that is where our love story ended with this room. The room itself was pretty big, but it smelled very musty, the chairs in the room had stains on them. The curtains even had stains on them (how do curtains get stained??). The bathroom looked old and gross: soap scum on the grout between the tiles and the counter was old and cracked. The lamps in the room were also broken. We were extremely disappointed. When I called asking to switch rooms I was told they were sold out and to check back tomorrow. Well later on that evening we decided to walk up to the front desk and see if there was anything that could be done. The woman at the front desk was super nice and I completely understand the position they are in. It was an awkward conversation for both of us. She told me that there wasn't another room available in our category, but there was one in the next category in a better location for an extra per night charge. We went to go see the room, because at this point I didn't care about location I just wanted a nice clean room that I actually felt comfortable sleeping in. When we went to the other room it was 100x better. There was zero musty smell and more importantly it was clean.
The rest of the stay was very enjoyable. The grounds are very well kept and there are some interesting wildlife at the hotel: A parrot named Max who talks, chickens and roosters, and cats. Iguana's came out every afternoon and actually found on under my beach chair. Did I scream? Yes. Are they harmless? Yes. We got a lot of our meals at the Mango Market which is their deli and grocery store. There is a hummingbird family living over there too so if you are nature enthusiast you should check it out. The gym was very big for a hotel and they have pilates and yoga classes at no extra charge. The hotel has beautiful sunsets that you should catch while enjoying a drink at the beach bar. It was very easy to access the whole western side of the island from the Westin. They had cabs waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. We spent most of our evenings in Cruz Bay/Mongoose Junction for happy hour and dinner. I think it was only a $10 cab ride there, but after a few days of taking a cab it took a toll on our wallets! I wish there was a hourly shuttle into town from the Westin. It was a 5-10 minute ride, but unfortunately you can’t walk it. There are so many beautiful beaches in Saint John I think we only spent 1 or 2 days at the Westin beach. When we stayed at the hotel we never had a problem finding a beach chair in a sunny spot. I would also recommend you bring bug zappers for the room. Mosquitoes run rampant on St. John so just make sure you are prepared with bug repellent! I would definitely recommend the Westin, but just be careful with the rooms.

Room Tip: The first room we had was in building 23, make sure you aren't there.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I was very glad to hear we were able to turn your stay around, and I want to apologize for the condition of your initial room accommodations. We are currently evaluating future renovations, and are aware that there are buildings in need of improvement. Your feedback is much appreciated and will only aid in speeding up the process. While your honeymoon did not get off to a perfect start, I was happy to learn that the rest of your stay went smoothly and that you enjoyed so many amenities on property. Thank you again and congratulations on your recent marriage! We hope to welcome you back, perhaps for your yearly anniversary, so that you are able to see our room improvements firsthand. We look forward to seeing you again.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Fantastic venue for a quiet vacation....except during spring break when the beach is populated by families with young children enjoying their vacation from school.
Hotel provides a ferry from the dock in St. Thomas, but you can arrange your own transportation and arrive there a couple of hours faster. No need to rent a car when you arrive. James Penn transportation will "cab" you into town or around the island on his open air buses.
Rooms are ok, typical beach resort furnishings....so rooms have been renovated, others are in need of updating.
One of the cleanest and inviting beaches on any of the islands....total relaxation.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms afford the best locations on the property
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future so that we can provide you with another relaxing stay. Thank you again.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!