“Great for families with kids” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Cruz Bay
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great for families with kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a kid friendly resort with lots to keep the little ones busy. If ou don't have kids, go to Caneel Bay. I enjoy this place and it is beautiful but more touristy. They have a very large pool, pool bar and grille, water sport rentals etc. I may give it a higher score it it wasn't so kid friendly and populated. I first travelled here in the 80's when this was a Hyatt Regency. The price for rooms is lower than other resorts so if that is a consideration, not a bad choice.
I recommend for families with children or travellers who like a more populated resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Many thanks for your review and for sharing it on Trip Advisor. Here at The Westin St. John we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly resort, so we appreciate you noting the large pool, water sports equipment and multiple activities provided for children. We hope to welcome you back in the future and thank you again for your review.

1,901 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I visited the Westin in St. John for our anniversary in July of 2012. St. John was not particularly easy to get to, requiring a shuttle and a ferry from the airport in St. Thomas, but it's well worth the effort. There are only two resorts on the island, with the Westin being the only chain resort. We used points for our room, thus I can't comment on the value for price.

Pros: (1) The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, with a large pool with ample seating. (2) Taxis, which are really more large open-air shuttle buses, are readily available and inexpensive, and town is less than a 10-minute ride away. (3) The breakfast buffet was excellent, with open air seating right on the water. (4) The concierge was exceptional, providing great recommendations and making all accommodations in town for our entire trip in one visit. (5) Wait service at the pool was exceptional, with a large menu and excellent food. (6) Our room was unexceptional, but clean and comfortable. (7) There are a number of boats/charters that can be hired on site, and we highly recommend taking a boat tour of the BVI, particularly seeing Tortola and Jost Van Dyke. (8) Cars can be rented right on site, although we didn't find them to be necessary due to the taxi service. (9) The workout facility was large and modern, although there was sometimes a wait for equipment in the morning hours. (10) Room service was prompt and the food was very good, if basic. (11) The service and staff was universally friendly, helpful, and prompt.

Cons: (1) The grounds have a series of walkways to get from one location to another, and the walkways and roads are constantly filled with golf carts and other vehicles, making walking from one location to another a bit of an obstacle course. (2) The dining options on site are very limited. (3) The beach at the resort is relatively small. (4) There is no real gift shop on the property, requiring a 5-10 minute walk to an overpriced grocery store to buy drinks and snacks.

As noted, it takes some effort to get to St. John, but it's well worth it. The island is beautiful and isolated, and the Westin is an excellent location and property to enjoy the experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing it with other potential Westin St. John guests. We are very glad you chose to spend your July vacation with us and even more glad to hear you enjoyed many aspects of our beautiful resort. We want to apologize for the excessive golf carts, and wanted to assure you we are aware of this concern and are working on a solution to rectify the issue. I will take all of your feedback into consideration and appreciate your remarks and comments. Again, we thank you and hope to welcome you back in the future for another renewing stay.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family is a timeshare owner within the Starwood network (Orlando), and we had been trying to reserve a unit here for my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. We had a reservation for October 2011, but had to postpone due to my father’s cancer diagnosis.

Our time as a family was therefore precious, and with a lot of persistence, we were able to rebook for June 2012 in a two bedroom three bathroom loft unit (1650 square feet, sleeps up to 10, that’s the key to look for, some two bedroom two bathroom units sleep fewer). We had done a lot of research ahead of time, and as the time drew closer, we emailed the Westin St. John, asking for a villa close to the resort offerings, so my father would not have to walk very far. We also explained this was a belated vacation for our parents 50th wedding anniversary.

The Westin St. John was wonderful, and put us in building 24 in the Upper Hillside Buildings. (This area is different from the Hillside Villas, which are across the street.) This location has a side walkway that offers more direct access to the Westin Workout Room, the Mango Deli, and the O’Connor Car Rental place and parking.

A fruit basket and bottle of cider greeted us upon arrival, wishing my parents a happy anniversary, which was a very thoughtful gesture.

The Loft unit was very spacious for 5 of us. If you look at the floorplan on the Westin website, you might be confused (as we were) by the description of a “kitchen” area on the second floor in between the two bedrooms. I’m not sure why they called it that, there is no kitchen on the second floor, just a simple chair and desk area, which was perfect for us with laptops.

We had one or two issues with the Villa (Air conditioning, and trying to use the DVD player). Each time, Leroy came up promptly, and was very personable and resolved the issue instantly.

We made use of the free paddleboards the Westin offered down at the dock at the bay. Also enjoyed the floating rafts anchored out in the bay. Westin offers free use of floating mats for the pool or the bay, but important to note: you MUST return the same mat you checked out (identifiable by number). If you leave it behind and someone else picks it up, you run into an awkward situation where you have to ask a stranger to give you your mat back.

We rented a car and beach chairs at O’Conner car rental for the week and visited Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay. Get there as early as you can to find parking spaces, prime spots on the beach, and to avoid the influx of beach crowds from cruise ships.

We utilized the ferry option Westin provided to St. John. Yes, it’s expensive, but to us, it was worth it. The service at the Westin desk at the airport is slow, so be prepared, but they greeted everyone who got off the ferry at the Westin with a cup of rum punch.

All in all, it was a great family vacation that was one of the last we shared as a family. Special thanks to Shamir Joseph in Guest Relations who did everything to make sure we had a special time at the Westin St. John.

Room Tip: We saved money by visiting the grocery that’s outside of the resort (walk outside, take a left, it’s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for your consistently loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. As an owner, your feedback is very valuable to us and I was very glad to hear we accommodated you and your family in terms of location and accessibility of your villa. We are also glad that you enjoyed the amenity in honor of your parent’s anniversary. I will pass your great feedback onto Leroy and Shamir, and they will both be honored to know they enhanced your stay. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I visited the Westin St John in September for a site visit and again in October for my actual wedding. The resort grounds are very well kept. The pool is really nice. The food was pretty good but very limited and pricey. The location is isolated without a rental car and parking is hard to find if you drive in town. The taxi's are $5.00 pp so it can get expensive. The restaurant at the hotel above the lobby was not open due and the other options closed fairly early. No night life activities. The staff were nice but we were continually charged more for our room and had to go tohe front desk 3 different times to get account credited even though the room was booked on the starwoods website. We paid $218 a night in advance with the 4th night free but our room was charged over $479.00 per night and we had to print the email from the lobby computer and printer to prove our rate and confirmation. What a headache! I booked a spa appointment for a massage, pedicure and a facial but booked it separate due to scheduling. When I went in for the facial, my room was charged $80.00 for the already paid for facial. When told about it at the front desk, I was told I had to deal with it at the spa. When I went to the spa, I was told a manager had to credit it back but he was not there and she left a message for him to call the spa back. All of this was the night before we ere to check out so we wanted to get it taken care of. An hour later we received a call saying that the charge would be removed. I married during my stay there and had been assigned 3 different wedding coordinators. The coordinator called me 2 days before my arrival while I was at work because the extra tier of the cake and an extra flower order had not been paid for. $60.00. I advised Michelle that I would be there in 2 days and she said she had to have payment that day although my contract said I had 4 more days for the additional $60.00. This after I had already paid over $2700.00. Once I arrived, 5 days before the wedding. I was not contacted until the day before the wedding although I had issues with the building assignment at checkin. The afternoon before the wedding, while I was at the spa, I was informed my room was reassigned to be closer to the gazebo but I had to have everything out by 430pm and it was 330pm. And we had the sunset cruise booked for 5pm. I had to call my maid of honor while I was in the spa to have her find my fiance' and help pack and move my things. The wedding was absolutely beautiful due to the location and the photographer Louis Lucas. The cake tasted great. But I felt like very little time, effort and attention was paid to my small wedding because of a larger one. I was told the building 10 beside the gazebo was closed due to renovation but after being moved to building 11, we noticed that building 10 was not closed and actually had people in it for the larger wedding the same afternoon. We did do a timeshare presentation and the timeshare villas are nice but a far and hilly walk from the amenities and much more pricey than redweek.com or other purchases or weekly rentals. We plan on returning to St John for our first anniversary but will stay at Gallows Point since it is much more accessible and in walking distance of all the restaurants and shopping areas in town. The local beaches are far more beautiful than the Westin Beach. And the boats are not parked all over the water there.

Room Tip: close to the beach choose building 14, 15, 11
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Westin St. John for your wedding day. We are honored to have been such a large part of your special celebration, and truly hope to welcome you back again in the future. I want to apologize for the concerns that arose during your stay with us –the confusion regarding your rate, extra Spa charges, and overall concerns regarding your wedding are certainly not conditions you were expecting or should ever have to experience while staying with us. Please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com if these extra charges and other issues were not completely resolved prior to check-out, or if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. Here at The Westin St. John, we strive to provide you with a renewing experience, one where you can relax and be at your best, especially during such a special time. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the future to provide you with a true Westin experience. Thank you again and congratulations on your marriage.
Sherman, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on this property, I had some concerns that we would be disappointed. We were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful grounds, friendly staff, and the updated decor and great view from our hillside villa. We had a very quick check-in process and were upgraded to a larger one bedroom villa with a great view. We had rented a jeep so parking right outside our room was very convenient. Our villa was very quiet and we rarely knew that there were other people staying in our villas. We loved it!
We were there in late October so the prime restaurant was not open, but we dined one evening at the beach cafe which had very good food and had a great view of Cruz Bay. We had a full kitchen in our villa so we only dined out for the evening meals. With the rental jeep we had no problem getting around.

Room Tip: Building #32 Hillside Villas were great. If you have children with you, you might want a room down a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you did not let previous reviews deter you from staying with us, and even happier to hear that you found our property to exceed your expectations. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for an revitalizing stay.
Paradise, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Six of us traveled to St. John and stayed at the Westin there for two weeks. The first week, we had a Hillside 2 bedroom townhouse (the bedrooms were on the second floor; 3 full bathrooms) and a second unit -- a Hillside Terrace studio. The second week, we were able to exchange our studio for a Bay Vista 2-bedroom villa. As others have said, the Hillside villas are actually across a small 2-lane public road and up quite a steep hill. There are 3 areas which contain groupings of units. The first grouping, just across the road, are level and no hills are involved -- we think these are the ones with the private pools/jacuzis although we didn't see the interiors. The second grouping is up an incline and then up a steep hill to the right. The third grouping is further up the incline and then up a steep hill to the right -- this third grouping sits above the second grouping. I know this is a lot of info but I wanted to provide a visual. The second and third groupings involve a strenuous walk up-hill. We walked it several times but we couldn't do it without stopping and gasping for air. It's quite a climb. If you are going to your unit, you can always wait for a free shuttle (until 11pm each night). If you are going down-hill from your unit, you can call for a shuttle as well. The reason I explained all this is my husband has a bad knee and I broke a small toe early on and found it nearly impossible to make the climb up or down so had to use shuttles. If you know what you're up against, it makes it easier.

The units were very nice. The hillside units have the hill but they also have ovens. The bay vista units do not have an oven. Since we cooked in all but 1 night, that made it a bit inconvenient since brownies and bread needed ovens. The hillside units are higher up but you are quite a ways from the water so don't expect much of an ocean view from your deck. You mostly see trees but it's still lovely. The bay vista units have a very nice, large dining table (with banquette on one side) that seats 8 and gave us a lot more room than the hillside unit arrangement. The units are modern and comfortable. The sleeper sofas do leave a lot to be desired if you are sleeping on one but we've not yet found one worth it's salt.

The grounds of the Westin are spectacular. Lots of walking paths/roads, palms, flowers of all kinds and iguanas. The iguanas are fascinating and you see them in the tops of the palms, in the bushes and just walking along the roads. They do not charge you so no need to be afraid. They are beautiful creatures. We found the staff to be very helpful and responsive -- the front desk, the pool attendants and the concierge desk. Sure, there were a few people who didn't seem to enjoy their job but they were the exception so don't let them ruin your day in paradise.

We spent most of our time under umbrellas on the beach or in a shady part of the pool. We swam in the pool most nights, watched the weekly movie by the pool one night, make tie-die T-shirt, sand art, watched crab races and tried the paddle boards. We thoroughly loved it.

Regarding off-property, our recommendation is to purchase all your food from the market just outside the Westin gate. The prices weren't all that bad and 6 of us ate all our meals (save only a few) for 12 days for $153 per person. We totaled up our receipts and divided them by 6. We grilled steak, chicken and fish and ate like royalty. Don't worry about going into town to buy groceries because that $5 pp each way will just add to your grocery bill.

We rented a car one day -- at the Westin -- using our "sand dollar" discount of $75. We took that day to visit the beaches that were further out. One day, we took taxis to Cinnamon Bay and spent the day there. Lovely beach and only a handful of people there. Mind you, we were there a few weeks before the peak season opened. We also rented snorkel equipment from on-site at the Westin and bought the Westin Ferry round trip ticket ($120 pp) which enabled us to go back to St. Thomas one day and go shopping there for no additional charge save a very short ride back to the dock.

We took a deep sea fishing excursion on Mixed Bag I for 6 hours from the Westin. It was an excellent day trip and Captain Rob and his first mate did everything to make it a smashing success. We caught mahi mahi, skipjack tuna, wahoo, bonito, a horse-eye jack, trigger fish and 2 shark. Wooo hooo!!!! It was a blast and we highly recommend him. The first day we were there, we took an island taxi tour from the Westin and that helped to give us the lay of the land and I got some awesome photos from that trip as well. We also took the Westin one day trip to the Baths and the Caves in the British Virgin Islands (passports required!) and that was so worth it. I'll have those reviews else...

We had an awesome time and I hope I didn't leave much out. Our travels both to and from the hotel worked like clockwork. I do recommend the Westin ferry to relieve you of any worry of making your flight.

Room Tip: If you have troubles walking, either call them and request a room NOT on the hill OR just expect tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
On behalf of the staff and management here at The Westin St. John, thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. We thoroughly appreciate you going into such detail for future guests and providing them with valuable information that can only enhance their stay. We all enjoyed reading your review and were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient ferry transfer, beautifully landscaped grounds, roaming iguanas, multitude of activities, island taxi tour, and on-site Watersports company, Cruz Bay Watersports. We are also glad that you found your villa accommodations to exceed your expectations and that the full kitchen assisted you and your guests economically, as the cost of living in the Virgin Islands is higher than the mainland. Thank you again for providing others with such specific particulars of both our resort and our island. We hope to see you again very soon!
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The perfect getaway for peace and quiet. The resort is just beautiful and the staff are all very helpfull. We are even considering a time share there. Spoke with Stacey who represents the Weston in time shares who was very informative and great to work with. Now all I have to do is convince my husband!!!
Will definitely go back and visit this wonderful resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your great feedback and your comments regarding our property and also our friendly and helpful associates. We are excited that you are considering becoming an owner, and certainly hope you can convince your husband so that we can see you year after year! I will pass your feedback regarding Stacey onto her and she will be delighted to know that she enhanced your stay. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!