“Lay back and be amazed by St John!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Lay back and be amazed by St John!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My parents and my brother and his wife joined my wife and me for a week at the Westin on stunning St John. It may have been the best vacation any of us have ever been on.

The Westin property is beautiful. We were in a 3-bedroom villa. We had a walled-in patio which included our own private pool and hot tub.

It was very spacious. The grounds were meticulously clean. There were a few roving cats which, as cat-lovers, was a plus for us. Lots of iguanas walking freely. Kind of neat.

I'm going to list a few negatives but don't be scared away. We will most likely return to the Westin.

1. Golf carts cruising everywhere. No one ever told us what our "rights" were. The villa was quite a walk from the beach and main pool and restaurants so a ride, when we got one, was nice. Do you tip those guys? Do you call for a ride? Don't know.

2. The beach was not great. It wasn't dirty or anything but when you go to a beachfront resort, the expectation is that you use the beach. A couple of us swam a little but very ho-hum. Plan on driving to better beaches.

3. TIME SHARE! This was by far the biggest negative. Upon arrival I asked the consierge about a restaurant or something and he broke into the biggest welcoming ceremony. I called my family over because it seemed like this guy was going to be our personal best friend for a week. After a few minutes of suggestions about great beaches, etc, he came with the pitch for a timeshare. You get all this blah blah free stuff if you sit through a 90-minute sales pitch. Well we didnt want a timeshare or the 90 minute arm-twisting. And we never used the consierge again. We were the people who had declined. Bad people. We sort of hung our heads when we walked by. Def not the highlight of our trip but the good outweighed the bad by enough that we all had a great time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Cyndal R, Administrative Assistant to The Director of Rooms at Westin St. John Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor. While we were pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and many of our amenities, such as your villa, the grounds and exotic animals, I would like to extend my apologies for those areas you noted were not up to your expectations. The shuttles, beach and Concierge team are all meant to enhance your stay with us here at The Westin St. John, and we sincerely apologize that these things detracted from your otherwise positive stay rather than improving it even further. I also apologize for the lack of communication regarding your rights to the golf carts. For your next stay, please keep in mind that you can call Service Express at any time to request a shuttle, and you are always certainly more than welcome to ride on any of them that you see vacant. These carts are complimentary transportation for all of our guests, and gratuity is completely up to your discretion but certainly not required. I have passed your comments on to Management regarding your experience at the Concierge Desk. Our goal is to provide you with a relaxed and refreshing environment, one in which you do not feel pressured or uncomfortable in any way, so I was disappointed to hear you felt otherwise. In regards to the beach, it is in fact man-made and was created when the property was established, so I apologize if it did not meet your expectations. We strive to carry over the beauty you experience on our National Park beaches into our lovely landscaping and tranquil setting here at the Westin St. John. Again, thank you for your insight and for sharing your comments. We hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future and to this time not only meet, but exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Sturgis, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

This property relies on the gorgeousness of the island and the beach they are to sustain themselves. If they were to rely on their service and attitude they would be out of business in a week. If you are looking for merely a place to sleep while you explore this island then this will do, albeit a bit expensive for that. The majority off the staff came across as apathetic to the guests throughout all facets of the hotel with exception of the kids club and spa. Food was overpriced for the quality. The golf cart traffic throughout the resort by the staff was annoying. There are better choices on the island.

Ridgewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

After 4 days there, I was ready to move on. The rooms were small, dated and not very clean, the service was very slow, the hotel is dated. Needs a complete overhaul. The grounds were beautiful and the beach was wonderful. Loved being there despite my earlier comments. The tradewinds held me up as my room was oceanfront and very . There was a lot to do outside the hotel so I was busy. Great restaurants and fun nightlife there. I would stay there again only because it is a Starwood hotel. I can't say that anything bad happened but just the level of everything was lower than I am used to. I would not rent a car because transportation is very good and cheap. Hopes this helps.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
West Bridgewater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We have to say that this was the #1 trip that we have taken, and we have traveled all over
the world. Karen Powell at the Concierge desk was one of the most WONDERFUL persons
that we have ever met. She was very helpful, no matter what we needed. I fell in Love with the
first time we spoke to Her. She is just AWESOME. All of the Water sports RED SHIRTS
personal were great also. Especially Howie, Troy, Rich, Theresa and Julia, Also Cali and Ama in the store. I wa nted to adopt each of them and bring them home with us. The girls at the pool passing out the towels were awesome also. Marlene and Ticoya in the Mango Deli were very out going and alot of fun also. We can not say enough about every single person tthat works at the Westin Resort. .David and Joan Mendes

Room Tip: WE stayed up on the hill, to the left on the first floor and it was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

The rooms are out dated, musty smelling, and the air conditioning barely worked. I would recommend staying at the Marriott on st Thomas and just do a day trip to st john. The Marriott is much much nicer and updated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We just spend a week at the Westin St. John. I believe vacationers have different expectations but after reading reviews for several months before our stay, I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa in building 27 which was very comfortable, clean, and nicely furnished. The kitchen was fully equipped along with washer/dryer. Dish soap, sponge and laundry detergent were furnished. Plenty of fluffy towels, too.

Building 27 is a hike from the pool and beach but what a view of the sunset you get from the balcony! Shuttle golf carts come by often but we were happy to get a little exercise and burn off some of the calories from the many delicious restaurants in St. John. It's a huge resort so expect to walk all the while through the beautifully kept grounds.

Most of the employees we came in contact with were friendly and said hello. The concierge was very helpful in making dinner reservations in town. The beach bar and restaurant waitresses were a little surly but they seemed to work hard. We only had a couple of lunches and they were average. But the drinks, on the other hand, were excellent!

Cruz Bay Watersports is on site; we had a great day aboard the Island Spirit sailing over to Jost Van Dyke. Captain Rich, Theresa, and Dave were very professional but friendly. Very convenient to be able to leave directly from the Westin Dock. Passports are needed for the BVI's.

Although, we took the Redhook ferry from STT over to St. John, we used the Westin ferry on the return. Your bags are picked up from the room and then unloaded at the airport after a 5 minute taxi ride from the STT ferry dock. Very efficient system. Couldn't be easier.

I highly recommend the Westin St. John especially if you have kids. It would be alright for couples if it was not during a school break. The resort met and exceeded my expectations!

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I have decided the problem with Trip Advisor is that you don't know enough about the people reviewing the hotels to know if your taste is the same as theirs. I suppose expectations have a lot to do with the reviews and people have different expectations.

Now this is a Category 5 Starwoods hotel so you would expect it would be as nice as other similar Starwood hotels. WRONG. We paid about $600 a night (including resort fee but not including tax) for a room that is pretty much on par with what I would expect at a Best Western or Marriot by the airport (haven't stayed at either but I mean it is what I imagine it would be like).

For the record my favorite hotels on earth are Le Sirenuse in Positano and the Ritz Central Park. This should give you an idea of what I think is the best. I didn't expect this hotel to be on par with my favorites of course however it didn't even meet my expectations of what was acceptable as a place to stay.

The sheets were hard and itchy and the bathroom sink and other areas in the bathroom were rusting. It was pretty gross. There was NOTHING luxury about this room and for $600 a night it should have been a lot nicer. The bathroom had fluorescent lighting and the air conditioning in the room was loud and blew directly onto your head while sleeping. The towels were small and scratchy and there weren't even Q-tips. For $600 a night there should be Q-tips.

The room also wasn't the cleanest - it was definitely a place where I did not feel comfortable walking on the floor without socks.

As far as the food, it was pitiful. We had dinner there once in the restaurant on the water outdoors and it was beyond sub par. The decor there as well was atrocious. They had chairs around some of the tables that looked like they belonged at a business conference in a cheap motel. There were a lot of cheesy nineties looking aqua accents.

If you are looking for luxury or great food then forget this place. We stayed at the Ritz in St. Thomas which was way, way better. It is on another island (St. Thomas) but only a 20 minute ferry ride away. It wasn't perfect either (review to come) but it was way better than this place and is the only place i would stay if I had to go back to the Virgin Islands.

On a positive note the manager at the front desk was very nice and professional.

We didn't use the pool or any amenities as we were there only for a quick night. I did see the pool though and it looked decent but not fabulous.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apology that your recent stay with us did not exceed your expectations. On behalf of the staff and management at The Westin St. John, we truly value your opinion and want to thank you for sharing your experience with us as it helps us to direct our attention to areas of opportunity. While I was glad to read that your experience with our Front Desk Manager was a positive one, it is apparent that your room accommodations were not up to our usual Westin standards, and I am truly sorry that that detracted from your overall experience. We are currently working with Starwood to explore options for future upgrades and appreciate you letting us know the areas needing improvement. I have shared your comments with our management team as well so that further discussion and attention can be given to your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com should you have any questions or further concerns. Thank you again and we look forward to providing you with a warm Westin welcome in the future, one that not only meets your expectations, but exceeds them.

Been to Westin St. John Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!