“Now that's Italian!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Now that's Italian!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had read that ZoZo's was the best Italian on the island; but they were moving to Caneel Bay resort and were closed for the season. On a tip from a Caneel Bay guest, we decided to give Da Livio's a try. The pasta was perfect, the salads delicious, and we ordered "heavy" due to all full day of snorkeling and no stopping for lunch. My veal chop was wonderful, thick, tender, and pricey, $42 - what the heck, I'm on an island. They loaded it up with savory tomato and basil, a little too much for me but some folks appreciate tons of stuff on their entree. My gal ordered the ravioli and was very happy..
While we didn't have an ocean view, the busy street was like sitting in "the piazza" and watching a very diverse, interesting, and often comical population pass by our table. But we chose to sit outside next to the pizza chef and we drooled throughout our dinner. Everything, down to the pellegrino water, was authentic Italian. Why is it so many pizza chefs are theological about their craft? We wished we had ordered a pizza; we will next time we return.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
LivioLeoni, Owner at Da Livio, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Grazie Mille, thanks a lot I hope to see you soon enjoying authentic Italian cucina.
Ciao

74% Recommend
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent authentic Italian food in Cruz Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Delicious, authentic Italian food in Cruz Bay! Great service, unique interior...no complaints at all!! Smaller menu than I would have liked but everything we ordered was cooked perfectly...especially the veal and homemade pasta!

Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Bellissimo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Ill start with a small disclaimer. I have lived and worked in Italy extensively. I have also been a chef in the Virgin Islands and truly know how hard it is to get high end ingredients while dealing with astronomically high prices for said products and the stupid tourists who don't understand this.

My wife and I had a beautiful dinner here on our first anniversary. We started with the basiola and caprese salad. Both done perfectly. We moved on to the bucatini with tomatoes and artichokes, delicious, then the lobster rovioli also delicious. The pasta was first rate which forced us to order a pie even though we were full but the speck and fresh mozzarella pizza was perfectly charred and crispy. We skipped desert but enjoyed aperol spritz with dinner and sipped amaro to end the meal. I can't wait to enjoy another meal at this authentic Italian restaurant.

Rest assured potential patrons the food is as authentic as you'll find outside of Italy and not to be confused with American/Italian cuisine. This food takes time and love to prepare which I found evident in my experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
LivioLeoni, Owner at Da Livio, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Grazie for visit my restaurant and leave a review that is a good answer for all those people who do not understand what I'm doing and how is hard to do here. Grazie mille hope to see you again sharing my passion. Ciao
Warrington, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced even for St.John”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Just returned from a week long vacation in St.John and loved it. I will admit that we had a bit of sticker shock when we first arrived but got over it pretty quickly. Ate at a lot of great restaurants and was excited to see an authentic Italian restaurant as its my favorite cuisine! Overall the food was good, but totally over-priced even for St.John. My his husband ordered Caprese salad and for $15 and I'm not even joking but we got 3 small pieces of tomato and 3 small pieces of mozzarella! It was pathetic. The next night we went to Waterfront bistro and he ordered the same thing for $14 and it was 3x the size and came with homemade pastry puffs. Like I said, overall food was good but not worth the price at all.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've debating writing a review on this place since our trip in 2012, I was reading reviews on other restaurants when I saw ones for Da Livio and became curious of what others thought.. After reading the review by OceanLOver27 and seeing the response from the OWNER, I am completely floored! From a professional business perspective I cannot believe what I am reading... Therefore I will post MY own personal experience here. My boyfriend and I went for a nice dinner, the restaurant is on a side street with no ocean view, there is a patio but no place to sit at the time we went. We sat inside, the waitress(?) who was wearing a mini skirt and heels, was less than friendly. We almost felt as if we were an inconvenience. We ended up asking for our pizza to go because it took so long and we felt so unwelcome and uncomfortable. The pizza was good but not for the price, we ended up getting pizza from the cafe by the Beach Bar a few nights later that was delicious and half the price (and with a smile!) I hate to see such rude, unprofessional business owners on St. John. Hopefully this is not a growing trend; we will not be visiting this “restaurant” when we return in December.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LivioLeoni, Owner at Da Livio, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for visiting my restaurant and leave a review. I was thinking to not waste my time and the time of the travelers answering at your review but I have to say which my waitress don't wear any mini skirts, but it is our personalized apron, and they wear a black pants, no heels at all!!
We are working to have an ocean view, but is very hard to move to ocean on the other side of my restaurant easier for you keep going where you said and enjoy your favorite pizza, maybe my answer seems to you not professionally, sorry but I'm Italian and as you know we put passion in what we do.
Best regards.