“Good food but pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Pizza, Healthy, Bar, Café
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Sun Dog Cafe is a great casual dining option, and home to the Gecko Gazebo, our open air bar overlooking the gracious center courtyard of Mongoose Junction. A New York Times Travel and Leisure Pick for St. John, we serve lunch daily, dinner on weekdays, and brunch on Sunday in season. Don't Miss the Sunday Night Jam, from 7-10 pm weekly, a great musical event with local and visiting talent. Welcome!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Good food but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We had a very good dinner here and my hubby said it was a great burger that he had, but for a salad, burger, 1 Smoothie And 1 beer-I think $50 was too much even for St. John!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michael B, Owner at Sun Dog Cafe, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the positive review. I think there might be some sort of error with that check. I will contact you privately to follow up on this.

For those items in the restaurant (even if you topped the salad with Ahi Tuna), would be $40. Our average per person here is about $16, which many people find to be a good value for St. John.

Not sure how many people are aware of this but, energy costs on St John are among the world's highest. We pay over 50¢ per KWH, and this is expensive for all of the restaurants here. Last month, we paid more for utilities than we did in rent!

We do our best to be a value and thanks for joining us!

Michael

New York City, New York
“Absolute BEST spot on eat on the island:vegetarian friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Tonight is our last night on the island and I just ate at the Sun Dog Cafe. We've been here for a week and I actually joked saying who the heck writes a trip advisor review while they're away on vacation? Well here I am. I wish I would have found the Sun Dog Cafe a week ago. I am a vegetarian and they have several options such as vegetable lasagna with fresh home-aid garlic bread (it was delicious),spinach and artichoke dip, black bean dip and burritos and veggie burgers. More than that the staff was incredibly friendly and efficient. The prices were very reasonable and the portions were large. I highly recommend you eat here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Great Option on St. John”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I really enjoyed our dinner stop to Sun Dog Cafe. We shared the chips and salsa appetizer and I'd say that the salsa may be the best salsa I've ever tasted. I also had jerk chicken tacos which were very, very good. I might have tried the pizza, but another table ordered the pizza and the serving size seemed very small. I was a bit nervous going to Sun Dog Cafe as you are basically sitting in the middle of a shopping center, but it ended up being very private where we could enjoy conservation and a nice meal. Highly recommended for a nice dinner on St. John!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“loved the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

stopped for a quick drink & bite to eat. both were great, bartender was great conversationalist. liked the atmosphere as well

Visited February 2014
Toledo, Ohio
“Great food, blink you might miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We ate at Sun Dog Cafe one of our first nights in St John - the food was some of the best we had. I had jerk chicken tacos that were amazing, our table also tried the veggie lasagna and fish tacos - all were delicious as was the nacho appetizer. This is a small cafe located in Mongoose Junction. It is open air under umbrella tables, and we almost missed it when we were walking past. The only downside there was so much food and we had a small table with 4 people at it - would highly recommend!

Visited January 2014