“Delightful 50th Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 48 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At Morgan’s Mango, we try to reflect the life of the islands, a place of dazzling light and color, tropical breezes and starry nights, a relaxed and sensory experience.Joining us, to share in the culinary history of an island world crowded with so many wonderful cultures that it takes your breath way. Our food covers many Caribbean and South American cuisines—Creole, Bahamian, Cuban, Jamaican, Haitian, Puerto Rican, Argentinian and Mayan. All of these cuisines have been influenced by the original inhabitants of the islands, the Arawak and Carib Indians, as well as the Africans, East Indians and Chinese who arrived later. Add to these the foods of the Spanish, French, British and Danish settlers, and you have an incredible melting pot of ethnic and classic cuisines.Hence Cuisines of the Caribbean, a neo-Caribbean experience conveying the juice and jazz of the islands, a carnival of flavors and lifestyles.
Asheville NC
“Delightful 50th Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We first went to St John and Morgan's Mango for our daughter's wedding in the summer of 2002 and fell in love with both the island and the restaurant. We followed that up with another visit in December that year for our 40th anniversary; back in December of 2007 for our 45th; finally, went again in Dec 2012 for our 50th. The island is great, the lobsters are great, the service is great. We'll go there again and again. Just wish we could afford to spend the winter there.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
What wonderful celebrating you and your family have done on the island! It's great to know that our lobster and service were top-notch during your visits. We're honored to have been a part of your trips throughout the years, and hope to see you for many more anniversaries to come!

Thanks,
Carlos and Maria Ines, Owners

“Morgan's Mango is the place to beat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent experience with everyone from the bar to the wait/server staff. The menu was varied with an South American influence. We order three different hors d'oeuvres along with the daily catch specials and they couldn't of been prepared any better; we finished the meal off with their house made key lime speciality and were completely amazed. You've got to check this one out.

Visited October 2013
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
It's fantastic to hear that everything from our hors d'oeuvres to our daily catch to our key lime pie hit the spot. After all, we want every aspect of your meal to shine! It sounds like you got a nice taste of our menu, but we'd love for you to explore it even more. Hope you keep St. John in your future travel plans!

Take care,
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
“Great carribean lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We went on Tuesday night for their lobster. We arrived around 6pm and didn't have a reservation and got lucky to get a table for two.
When we arrived, so did the garbage truck and the bad smell filled the restaurant. The employees did their best to hose down the area and use cleaners to hide the smell. They should get the trash truck there earlier in the day before they open.
The atmosphere was nice and the lobster was excellent! They had a guitarist playing music which was very nice. If you plan to go - especially on a Tuesday night you should make a reservation.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
We'd like to apologize for the unfortunate timing of the garbage truck. That is definitely not typical of our dinner service, and we're sorry if it took away from your experience. With that said, we're happy that you enjoyed the lobster so much. It truly is one of our favorite dishes to serve, as it captures the so much of what we love about the Caribbean. Hope to save a table for you next time you visit St. John!

Pa.
“Excellent food and friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I came in at the last minute. I thought they were closed for vacation, but looked at the notes on my phone and saw they were due to close the next day. We decided to head over, no reservations and thankfully we were able to be accommodated! When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the manager/owner?? As he was deciding where we could be seated, a few other staff memebers scurried back and forth, all smiled and said "hello" to us. We waited only about 1-2 minutes and were seated. We noted the accent on the manager and found he was from Argentina, where my husband was raised, so they got to have a nice chat. This was nice for my husband as there aren't too many people at home to speak porteno with!

We had the empanada app, a staple in Argentina. My husband said, "That's how a real empanada is cooked." It was a chipotle style that night which I don't eat, but the dough was really good & the hubby strongly approved. Salad was very good and enjoyed the mango dressing. I saved that and used it for my plantains. I heard the waitress mention them to another table and inquired since I didn't see them on the menu. You should consider adding them to the app list, they were some of the best I've ever eaten. I had the fresh catch, perfectly prepared with chimi-churri sauce and my husband had the mahi-mahi. I liked his sauce better for the fish as chimi churri is a strong flavor (which I love), but I think I would have liked it better for the fillet. I bet that would be awesome. There are several sauce preparations to choose from. The rice and beans were also excellent. We did not have dessert. Our tab for a beer, app, salad, 2 dinners, and the extra charge for the plaintains was just under $100. I think that is VERY reasonable, esp considering the quality of the food and the cost associated with being on an island. Portions were generous. My fish fillet was quite large and the sides were not skimpy either.

The wait staff here as well as the manager hustled continuously. The place filled up very soon after our arrival and they never stopped. Our waitress disappeared for awhile, but others checked on us and she apologized. I think they just got crushed with customers and we saw a large table come in. Everyone was so pleasant and professional.

Two suggestions/complaints. 1.) In reading other posts, I see people talking about bread. We did not receive bread and did not note it on the menu for ala carte, might have missed it. It looked like other tables had bread baskets, but not sure. It is nice to have with a salad. Like I said, I might have missed it on the menu, but if not, it would be good to offer to all customers. I didn't ask, because when I noticed the bread baskets, we were almost done with our meals.
2.) Don't put out the really chipped plates. My app plate had two very big sharp chips that someone could easily cut themselves on. I turned it so the chips were away from me, but noticed it when I scraped against it soon after we were seated. I understand that you have to use what you have on the islands, but when they get that bad, they should not be put out.

Overall, this was an excellent meal compared to anywhere and we look forward to making it a regular stop on our return visits to St. John. On vacation, many places charge you high prices for low quality since they have a captive audience. Morgan's Mango delivered high quality food and service and a very reasonable cost. Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
It sounds like your husband and our manager really hit it off! Of course, we're thrilled that our empanadas met his high standards, too. With that said, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful notes for improvement as well. We will certainly keep them in mind as we move forward. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Verona
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was a good average dinner for someone looking for a reasonable priced dinner. Very good tuna tartare, delicious black beans and rice. Nice atmosphere, especially when they have acoustic guitar player present. Bartenders were hit or miss, one was really nice, another one was just very pompous and did not seem like he cared at all. One of the few places to go for lobster in off season, so it was a must.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Glad to hear our tuna tartare hits the spot, Liza! It's disappointing to hear that you haven't found our bartenders to be as consistent, though. The last thing we want is for our staff to come across as pompous or uncaring. We'll be sure to check in with the team, but if you have any additional notes for us, please don't hesitate to share them at morgansmango@islands.vi. Thanks!