“Excellent food and friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars

(340) 693-8141
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 39 restaurants in Cruz Bay
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Description: At Morgan’s Mango, we try to reflect the life of the islands, a place of dazzling light and color, tropical breezes and starry nights, a relaxed and sensory experience.Joining us, to share in the culinary history of an island world crowded with so many wonderful cultures that it takes your breath way. Our food covers many Caribbean and South American cuisines—Creole, Bahamian, Cuban, Jamaican, Haitian, Puerto Rican, Argentinian and Mayan. All of these cuisines have been influenced by the original inhabitants of the islands, the Arawak and Carib Indians, as well as the Africans, East Indians and Chinese who arrived later. Add to these the foods of the Spanish, French, British and Danish settlers, and you have an incredible melting pot of ethnic and classic cuisines.Hence Cuisines of the Caribbean, a neo-Caribbean experience conveying the juice and jazz of the islands, a carnival of flavors and lifestyles.
Pa.
“Excellent food and friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I came in at the last minute. I thought they were closed for vacation, but looked at the notes on my phone and saw they were due to close the next day. We decided to head over, no reservations and thankfully we were able to be accommodated! When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the manager/owner?? As he was deciding where we could be seated, a few other staff memebers scurried back and forth, all smiled and said "hello" to us. We waited only about 1-2 minutes and were seated. We noted the accent on the manager and found he was from Argentina, where my husband was raised, so they got to have a nice chat. This was nice for my husband as there aren't too many people at home to speak porteno with!

We had the empanada app, a staple in Argentina. My husband said, "That's how a real empanada is cooked." It was a chipotle style that night which I don't eat, but the dough was really good & the hubby strongly approved. Salad was very good and enjoyed the mango dressing. I saved that and used it for my plantains. I heard the waitress mention them to another table and inquired since I didn't see them on the menu. You should consider adding them to the app list, they were some of the best I've ever eaten. I had the fresh catch, perfectly prepared with chimi-churri sauce and my husband had the mahi-mahi. I liked his sauce better for the fish as chimi churri is a strong flavor (which I love), but I think I would have liked it better for the fillet. I bet that would be awesome. There are several sauce preparations to choose from. The rice and beans were also excellent. We did not have dessert. Our tab for a beer, app, salad, 2 dinners, and the extra charge for the plaintains was just under $100. I think that is VERY reasonable, esp considering the quality of the food and the cost associated with being on an island. Portions were generous. My fish fillet was quite large and the sides were not skimpy either.

The wait staff here as well as the manager hustled continuously. The place filled up very soon after our arrival and they never stopped. Our waitress disappeared for awhile, but others checked on us and she apologized. I think they just got crushed with customers and we saw a large table come in. Everyone was so pleasant and professional.

Two suggestions/complaints. 1.) In reading other posts, I see people talking about bread. We did not receive bread and did not note it on the menu for ala carte, might have missed it. It looked like other tables had bread baskets, but not sure. It is nice to have with a salad. Like I said, I might have missed it on the menu, but if not, it would be good to offer to all customers. I didn't ask, because when I noticed the bread baskets, we were almost done with our meals.
2.) Don't put out the really chipped plates. My app plate had two very big sharp chips that someone could easily cut themselves on. I turned it so the chips were away from me, but noticed it when I scraped against it soon after we were seated. I understand that you have to use what you have on the islands, but when they get that bad, they should not be put out.

Overall, this was an excellent meal compared to anywhere and we look forward to making it a regular stop on our return visits to St. John. On vacation, many places charge you high prices for low quality since they have a captive audience. Morgan's Mango delivered high quality food and service and a very reasonable cost. Thank you.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
It sounds like your husband and our manager really hit it off! Of course, we're thrilled that our empanadas met his high standards, too. With that said, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful notes for improvement as well. We will certainly keep them in mind as we move forward. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

83% Recommend
Verona
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was a good average dinner for someone looking for a reasonable priced dinner. Very good tuna tartare, delicious black beans and rice. Nice atmosphere, especially when they have acoustic guitar player present. Bartenders were hit or miss, one was really nice, another one was just very pompous and did not seem like he cared at all. One of the few places to go for lobster in off season, so it was a must.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Glad to hear our tuna tartare hits the spot, Liza! It's disappointing to hear that you haven't found our bartenders to be as consistent, though. The last thing we want is for our staff to come across as pompous or uncaring. We'll be sure to check in with the team, but if you have any additional notes for us, please don't hesitate to share them at morgansmango@islands.vi. Thanks!

Bay Area, CA
“"Sorry... Not open til 6p"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Don't even think of dropping in here on a day trip from st Thomas... The guy at the bar was short and snippy and said the bar wasn't open til 5:30 and no food til 6p... But the last ferry leaves at 6:30.

Stick with the food on St Thomas!

cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We can understand your frustration in this situation, and we're sorry if our staff came across as short when explaining our hours. It's certainly not our intention to make you feel unwelcome in any way. With that said, our hours cater to the dinner crowd here on St. John, and it's unfortunate that things didn't work out with your particular travel plans. We hope that we'll have the chance to invite you back in the future when our hours are more convenient to your schedule.

All the best,
Lummi Island, Washington
“Morgan Mangos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you are visiting St John - Mango Morgans Restaurant is a must do.... We went on Lobster Night and it was by far the best dining we experienced while on St. John. 1 LB Lobster cooked perfectly with caribbean rice, beans and plantains.... The mixture worked perfect.

Two other high points, were Joes Barbecue and a perfectly cooked Linguini with fresh vegetables, olive oil , lemon and bread at the Westins waterfront restaurant... They also make an excellent eggs benedict.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
You haven't experienced St. John until you've tasted delicious Caribbean lobster! It's great to hear that you found the flavors of our rice, beans, and plantains to compliment the lobster nicely. We're proud to have served up an unforgettable dining experience. Keep St. John in your travel plans — we'd love to welcome you back!

Stamford, Connecticut
“Good Island food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Above average island food. Nice atmosphere & drinks are very good. Bar is very busy and popular with locals. Decent music some nights and they usually have specials. The waiters and waitresses are very friendly and helpful. The owners are on premise and take a keen interest in the restaurant operation. not fine dining, but they don't pretend to be either. parking is close by.
A fun place to have dinner.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cdib, Owner at Morgan's Mango, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We're glad that you could tell how much we care about how our restaurant is doing, Roger! That's why we love checking in on our reviews. It sounds like you've had some good times with us in the past, but if there's anything in particular that we could be doing better, please let us know at morgansmango@islands.vi. We're all ears!