“It was almost perfect............” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Caribbean, Bar, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“It was almost perfect............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had high expectations for Asolare and I will admit that most of the important things about eating at a "special" restaurant were fully met. The view, mood and ambience of this special restaurant are fantastic. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Asolare and after all these years I wanted to go somewhere wonderful.

We both had the nightly specials - shrimp and grits and ahi tuna. Both meals were delicious. No need for an appetizer as we thought we would might want dessert. The warm brownie sundae was decadent. So with all this good stuff why did we walk away still wanting?

Unfortunately, the service we received was more like something that I would expect at a local chain restaurant. Our waiter never offered to tell us what the specials were, he just immediately asked what we wanted to eat. We were not told all of the dessert options which wasn't that big a deal but shouldn't he have known? Also, when my husband ordered his cocktail he was told that they didn't have very common bourbons because it was the "off season". Really? No Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, just a cheaper brand. It wasn't like he was asking for a brand that was unusual.

My hope is that this was the waiter's first night and that he quickly learns what this very nice establishment has to offer. Our night would have been perfect if he had.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Delaware
“Great Restaurant Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

What a experience my wife and I had to celebrate our wedding anniversary of 43 years! Flowers on our special table(completed by our waitress prior).Table was situation looking down over Cruz Bay during the evening hours-gorgeous! Forgot my camera so our waitress-Lindsay-used her iPhone to send the memories forward to our e-mail address. Very special act.
Oh by the way, the food and service was The Best during our week long stay at St. John.

Visited September 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A diplomatic pass”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I will temper this as best as possible. Suffice to say, any restaurant which markets itself as "fine dining" as does Ansolare, should deliver just that on, at the minimum, 2 of 5 distinctions. One should be service, two should be the food. Unfortunately you will experience neither here. Understaffed, multiple entree items not available (but substituted with import fish you can purchase at home), no attention to any detail (wait with an empty water glass until you must have something...anything to wash down your boot leather beef), no offer for additional "specialty" drinks, and the coldest food in town short of the freezer at the General Store in Great Cruz Bay. As a resident, I am most surprised they are still in business. It's obvious to me this is a "been there once" establishment hoping the tourist trade remains good. Yes the view is good. Thats where good ends. This is a pass.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We ate here because it was one of the few restaurants actually open in St. John in Sept. it was fantastic. The food was amazing. Our waitress was very helpful answered all of our questions about St. John. The views of the bay are great. Highly recommend.

Visited September 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
“Great choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you are going to dine anywhere in Cruz bay, dine here. The outrageous prices of Spyglass or surrounding restaurants match the price but not the quality or view that you will receive here! I would highly recommend Asolare. It's close to town, has delicious food and the best view in the house. Make sure you have reservations.

• Visited September 2013