“St. John Eco Hike” 5 of 5 stars

Type: National Parks, Outdoors
Roanoke, Virginia
“St. John Eco Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked this tour through the cruise line. The excursion description on-board stated that there was "a lot of walking, hiking shoes required". I was a bit concerned since I hadn't brought hiking boots with me on the cruise, but a quick check with the Explorations Desk assured me that Chacos or Tivas would be fine. They were exactly right. I had no problems with my open-toed footwear. (The guide wore flip-flops.) There is a bit of a steep climb right at the beginning of the hike, but the remainder of the approximately 1 mile long trail is on a fairly wide gently sloping dirt and rock path which ends at an almost deserted, pristine beach with crystal clear waters. We were there in low season (early September), however, so it could be more crowded at other times of the year. Water, rest rooms, snacks, and a small collection of merchandise are available at the beach hut. They also provide snorkel masks and fins. If you don't want to snorkel, the guide will arrange a beach chair for you in the shade or the sun. There are also a few hammocks.

Our guide was Nate, a recent transplant from Wisconsin. (Ask him to tell the story of how he ended up in St. John) He was both energetic and knowledgeable about the flora and fauna we encountered along the way, taking time to explain each plant, even coaxing a tarantula to crawl out of its hole for a picture. I felt safe and entertained. He was also very conscientious of our deadline to return to the ferry that would return us to St. Thomas. The hike ends with a walk through the ruins of a former sugarcane plantation. A small open bus then picks you up and whisks you back to the harbor so the walk is only one-way. There are a number of photo stops on the way back.

A towel is about all you need to bring. I wore my bathing suit for the entire hike, but there is a changing room if you'd rather. The hike is about an hour and we had about 1.5 hours to enjoy the beach. Completely suitable for a family with young children, but not with a stroller.

Great tour if you want to learn some natural history and enjoy some sun and water. If you are coming from the port in St. Thomas as I did, the boat ride over is about 30 minutes. There may be a wait in the hot sun to board that boat, but it's worth it.

Visited September 2013
VirginIslandsEcotour, Manager at St John Eco Hike & Snorkel Adventure, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for VIECOTOURS. We appreciate feedback of any kind and strive to deliver a fun, adventurous & memorable time in the Virgin Islands. We are thrilled you enjoyed the beach and learned some history on the hike. We hope you return on your next visit.

Falls Creek, Pennsylvania, United States
“st. john eco hike and snorkel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

my husband and I booked this trip on our 1st time at St. John's. We had an amazing time on this hike and snorkel. Zulu was an amazing guide- he took the time to show us plants/wildlife on our hike, as well as told us about some of the great history of the island. Zulu also gave us great instructions on snorkeling, as even guiding us to see an octopus, 2 stingrays and 2 sea turtles- unbelievable!! best snorkel we had on the island! seeing the sugar mill plantation was amazing ,as well.

Zulu's attitude was upbeat and pleasant- he was joy to be around. We would definitely recommend this tour !!!

Visited July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for VIECOTOURS. We appreciate feedback of any kind and strive to deliver a fun, adventurous & memorable time in the Virgin Islands. We are thrilled you enjoyed the tour with Zulu and learned about the local flora & fauna. We hope you return on your next visit.
Seffner, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“St. John National Park Eco Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We went on this adventure while on a recent cruise. We were picked up at the pier in St. Thomas and enjoyed a 45 minute boat ride to St. John. Once we arrived and met our tour guide, Chris, and completed our paper work, we started on the most difficult 15 minutes of the hike. We moved from the parking lot near Park Headquarters to the beginning of the trail head. The trail is clearly marked and only the first part is relatively steep and rocky. On the trail you see local birds, insects (not many mosquitoes!), and amazing plant life. Our guide Chris was enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about the park's history, as well as the plants and animals, both native and non-native. We had a 40 minute break at Honeymoon Beach where snorkel gear was available, along with beach chairs, refreshments and restrooms! We ended up our hike by walking through Caneel Bay Resort and visiting ruins of an old sugar mill dating from the 1700's. This hike was the highlight of our cruise. I would absolutely do it again and encourage others to try it. The description implies that it is more demanding than it actually is. The path is rocky but pretty easy to navigate.

Visited April 2013
5 attraction reviews
“St john eco hike was the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I booked this tour while on a cruise. Chris, our guide was knowledgeable and very enthusiastic about the island and surrounding area. I have done this hike twice and will do it again next year!