“Starve yourself for 2 days before your go ...” 5 of 5 stars

340.776.6111
Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 113 Restaurants in St. John
St. John
“Starve yourself for 2 days before your go ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

You will want to order one of everything on this menu. To DIE for ... as good as, if not better than Stateside. And OMG ... as if the starters and entre's aren't enough you have to save room for the desserts. A mind blowing plumb cobbler was on the menu this past season. Natalie knocks it out of the park!

Visited March 2012

New York
“Disappointing Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I recently dined at the Turtle Bay Estate House to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We stayed at Caneel Bay 10 years ago on our honeymoon, so we were familiar with this restaurant - or so we thought. In the interim, the menu was completely overhauled - from a more generalist, classy fine-dining experience to a steakhouse. This was a surprise to us, but since we both like steak, we were fine with it.

The room itself hasn't changed much. It is still lovely and classy, featuring live piano and plenty of island artifacts and plants. The Caneel web site says that jackets are "customary" for men many men came in khakis and polo shirts and those who wore jackets usually just took them off and hung them on their chair.

As was the case 10 years ago, the wait staff was extremely gracious and engaging. In particular, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the vivacious and very funny sommelier, Albert, is still around. His knowledge of wines is excellent and he is just very fun to talk to.

As for the food, unfortunately, I cannot report that the quality has improved with the new menu. To begin with, the portions were very small. For my appetizer, I ordered sea scallops with corn. It was delicious but there was only a single scallop on the plate. Of more concern was the main course - a filet mignon. The menu clearly defines the various donenesses (rare, medium, etc.) and the definition of "medium" was "pink center." Unfortunately, the steak I received was cooked all the way through. My wife's steak, which was supposed to be medium well, was actually pinker inside than mine.

I never try to return dishes at a restaurant but I did report my dissatisfaction to the waitress. To their credit, she offered to bring me a new steak and when I declined (I don't like to waste food and I had already eaten about half of it thinking I was going to get to the pink part), they removed the cost of the steak from our bill. The manager apologized to us on the way out of the restaurant. Again, I can't stress enough how polite and helpful the staff here were. They go to great lengths to make you feel comfortable. Yet for the premium price you pay for the food, I can't say that it was very good. We had a much better meal for significantly less at Asolare, just outside of Cruz Bay.