“The worst dining experience in the Caribbean” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dublin
“The worst dining experience in the Caribbean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was visiting St John for the weekend and was recommended to go to Miss Lucy's for brunch. We arrived at 10.30 and ordered our food and drinks immediately. The waiter was next to useless - and it was up to me to point out that our drinks were waiting on the bar turning to water for 10 minutes. After 45 minutes we enquired about where our food was and the waiter went to the kitchen (after he had been behind the bar and served somem other people on the way) - he came back and said our food was in the line and that they were very busy. Some 20 minutes later our food still hadn't arrived so we enquired again and said that we had been waiting over an hour for our food - he came back and said that they were busy but that our food would be 10 minutes. I asked to speak to the Manager Eddie (Miss Lucy's son) and he just didn't make any effort to do anything until I insisted he went to the kitchen to find out what was going on. Again I was told that they were very busy at which point I informed him that if you can't cope with the number of people you have dining - make the kitchen bigger or reduce the number of tables so you can at least cater for the number of people in the place. he came back and informed us that we could have a free drink - at this stage we were very hungry and somewhat annoyed and didn't need another drink, just the food we had ordered. We also informed him that other people who had come in after us had been served before us - and he didn't seem to care, and didn't even offer an apology. We were just about to leave when our food arrived - it was COLD. At this point we left without paying for anything. I took the liberty of putting my head into the kitchen to inform them of how poor the food was and received abuse from the chef. I have lived in the Caribbean for 2.5 years and the service culture is poor across the region, but this rates as the worst place I have ever been too and I would highly recommend not going. Business who care so little about the quality of service they offer do not deserve to have a business.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Terrible Choice for Sunday Brunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Went to Miss Lucy's today and arrived at 10am for brunch. Outdoor seating was full so went inside and there was plenty of seating. Took fifteen minutes to get our drinks after ordering (pineapple juice and diet coke). Placed our order and at 11:30am we asked the server about our order. She walked up to the kitchen window and asked a couple of questions and then proceeded to ignore us every time she walked by. We had to intentionally stop her again and she told us our orders were still down the line. All we ordered were three hamburgers and pancakes, all from the brunch menu. We thought we heard someone say that all hamburger orders were pushed to back. If this was the case why not tell us up front. We were very disappointed and no matter how good the food is said to be, this type of service is unacceptable. Went to Skinny Legs and had our food in 20 minutes and the food was good.

Somerset, Massachusetts
“Great experience, will definitely go back,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We rented a jeep and rode around the island. Just happened upon this place. There were tables by the water with a great view so we decided to have lunch. Service was exceptional. Brett was our waiter and he was both friendly and efficient. Food was great. Everything was made fresh to order. Could not have asked for a better view, service and food. Do not miss this gem.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hull, Massachusetts
“Miss Lucy would be disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went to Sunday Brunch at Miss Lucy's today. Ou party of five arrived 15 minutes before the start of brunch (it started at 10:00am) and were able to get the last outdoor table. Our waitress came to take our order shortly after 10:00am and advised us that we would have to wait a while for our meals since Sunday Brunch is their busiest time. We promptly began to enjoy our drinks, gaze at the pelicans swooping into the ocean to catch fish and enjoy each others company. After about 90 minutes, we asked our waitress if she could check on the status of our breakfast. She reminded us that the wait would be lengthy and said we should be patient. After another 30 minutes (now 2 hours of waiting), she came to tell us that the chef has mistakenly thrown away our order, but that the chef was making our meals now. She offered a free round of drinks. After another 10-15 minutes, the meals started to arrive; however, several items were still missing, including an order of scrambled eggs and a side order of bacon. When the bacon and eggs arrived, they were on the same plate. This may not seem like a big deal, but the eggs and bacon were for 2 different people and the person who ordered the eggs is a vegetarian. Once the person began eating her eggs (that person was me), I noticed that there was hair in the eggs. I sent the eggs back, of course, and decided to skip eggs altogether. At this point, we were so ready to leave. We asked for the check; when it arrived, a gratuity of 18% had been added to the bill. We were appalled to have to pay a gratuity for such poor service. The waitress, Amelia, told us that the gratuity is automatically added to groups of 6 or more. After paying our bill, I asked to speak to the manager and explained in detail the poor service and food that we received. He said he was sorry. One member of our group was still irate that we paid the gratuity, so I went back into the restaurant and checked the menu. The menu said at the bottom that a gratuity is added to the bill of groups that are six or more. Since our group was five people, the gratuity should not have been automatically added. When I brought this to the attention of the waitress, Amelia, she said "oh, I guess I was wrong". The manager refunded the gratuity and we departed three hours after we arrived, having had a very poor experience. We noticed that a couple behind us left without getting their meal, and other people were waiting an excessively long time for their meal. We learned that Miss Lucy died a few years ago. If she were alive, she would certainly be disappointed with the service and with the food. While the ambiance is excellent, there are many aspects that sorely need attention. We are in St. John for another 5 days, and can only hope that our other dining-out experiences are much better. Stay tuned...

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Lovley spot and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Lunch at Miss Lucy's was a real treat on our day trip to the east end of St. John. The location is beautiful - overlooking a lovely, quiet, and mesmerizing bay. The food was "island cuisine" and very good --- the Grouper Rueben and Jerk Chicken wrap were delicious.

• 4 of 5 stars Food