“A Big Bang for Your Hard-Earned Bucks” 4 of 5 stars

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   7150 Bolongo, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Big Bang for Your Hard-Earned Bucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Just returned home from a few nights' stay with my boyfriend at Bolongo Bay's Beach Resort. Overall, the experience was fantastic. Our room was spacious and nestled right on the beach (though this made for a motel feel - the only thing separating us from potentially deranged people being our door). Thankfully, the locals are friendly, and we felt safe our entire stay there.

No free food here, but the restaurants close by are wonderful. We ate at the Lobster Grille for breakfast. The cooks know what they're doing - excellent food, and once we lucked up and got a breakfast buffet. We also spent a night eating at Iggie's. 40 dollars for a buffer dinner - a tad pricey, but not too bad given the array of choices.

The location is perfect! The beach outside was beautiful. A bit rocky sometimes, but not at all too bad. We had a perfect view of Saint John, and given our room was oceanfront, we woke up to the sound of the waves. That was awesome!

Amazing staff! Everyone speaks and wants to help. When my boyfriend and I couldn't work our coffee machine, maintenance promptly arrived and fixed us up. Can't live without our coffee in the am!

Now for the reason this gets docked one star. And it all has to do with the bathroom. Number one, our room's bathroom's toilet faced the mirror, which was huge and covered almost the entire wall. Not sure about you, but I'm not trying to stare at myself dropping a deuce. I felt like I was looking at someone else. Weird, I know. But so is looking at myself taking a dump. I can't speak for all the rooms though. Second - the show...wait. Shower? What shower? The place I assume was supposed to be the shower was so incredibly small, I dreaded having to use it. So much for going on a romantic getaway and not being able to join your honey to get cleaned up after a day on the beach. Forget trying to fit weighing over 250 pounds. I'm 140 and was barely able to fit. The bathroom also had a little mold and some microscopic Caribbean ants crawling around. I noticed them on the floor as I was avoiding looking in the mirror while on the toilet. (can you tell bathrooms are a huge deal to me??)

So, aside from the bathroom, the room itself was great. AC worked perfectly once we realized the snowflake indicates cold air will blow out. I only wish we had more than a sheet for our blanket for when we were actually in our room (some nights were really cold). Decent selection of channels on the TV, and a pool!

Bolongo Bay is a great and convenient place to spend your vacation in the Virgin Islands. The price is right too! For what you get at the price, this is hard to beat. Check it out for yourself. You won't be disappointed! You also might agree with a lot of what I said :)

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Came here with family for a wedding. Which was very beautiful on the beach. It was an affordable hotel, beach front. We had an ocean view room, and the room was very clean. It was one of the older rooms, needed some work. They are in the process of upgrading rooms so ask for one of those. The AC didn't get very cold in the room we were in. Spoke with the front desk and they had somebody come check on it immediately. Prompt service.
The restaurants were not bad. The food was good. We also ate off site. It's not a 5 star hotel but it served it's purpose for cost and efficiency. Would I stay here again...maybe.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Bolongo Bay to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, neither of us really cared for the resort.

Our room was in serious need of a facelift. There was black mold in the bathroom (along with chipped paint and cracked ceramic tiles throughout). The door and locks were flimsy. The worst thing was that the floors were always wet, even in the bedroom area. Management evidently couldn't control the humidity, and we were encouraged to run the AC from dusk until dawn. That meant we couldn't keep the balcony door open to hear the surf, which was the point of getting an ocean view room. It was just a shabby facility. Other guests with whom I spoke were disappointed, as well.

The one dinner we had at the Lobster Grill was excellent, though, and the more casual meal at Iggie's was fine. The best thing about Bolongo Bay was the staff; they were all very friendly, helpful, and efficient.

If you are looking for a luxurious tropical retreat with phenomenal beaches, head for the north end. If you are concerned about free water toys and a lower price tag, this might be a good choice. I just wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground level would have been loud and less secure.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

So beautiful and peaceful... will be back again ! Loved the fish taco's !!
The weather was perfect.... little rain here and there, but kinda nice too.
We did not do all-inclusive, that way we could save on calories.... LOL

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge City, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Great place ,quaint place ,little older but a great place to stay.Daughter got married here and was a pretty service on the beach. All the staff was nice friendly and helpful with any thing you needed or wanted.The all inclusive is the way to go . Lobster grill (on the premises) was excellent , food was very good and the drinks are better if that can be.(Steve's mango colada )Another beach grill Iggies very short walk down the beach( 50 steps) was a change up little more laid back atmosphere was good, food was ok. cool little place on the beach. Bolongo has sail boat, paddle boards, sea trikes, snorkle gear ,and float mats all part of all inclusive, did i mention the drinks steve or 007 are the men to see. CLEAN rooms and maid service ,need towles just ask , did i mention the drinks at the swim up bar at the Lobster grill... we will go again no doubt!! taxies get expensive to town .....Ask for Delita parsons for taxi sweet lady and knowledgeable about the island and take her island tour!!!!

Room Tip: Room on beach 141 142 144
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Had a blast on our honeymoon would not change a thing we did. The staff at the front desk are amazing very helpful, and friendly, loved the live bands at iggies and great food, it is an older resort but the people make you feel at home thank you bolongo bay staff.....

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband, Jim and I, went to St. Thomas to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Bolongo Bay was definitely the perfect place for us. It did not have the commercial hotel-feel (which was great, but it had the quality service). All of the staff made sure we felt special the whole time we were there. The rooms were clean. The FOOD WAS AWESOME! The additional things included with our package made this vacation the best we have ever taken. I used the paddle board everyday. They also had a variety of beach fun-toys that kept us busy when we had "down-time". One of the beach helpers took my husband and I on a "Hobe-Cat". This is a personalized sail vessel that was so much fun. He took us way out into the ocean and the waves were quite high. It made for such a fun and thrilling ride. They had so many other things to do as well. We snorkeled all over the Island, but several times we snorkeled right in front of Bolongo Bay and we saw two huge sea turtle, a spotted black eagle ray and other smaller sting rays. They had a "booze-snorkel" for all of the guests that was fun to do. My husband was the second one to find a bottle of rum in the ocean! We left it for the woman who cleaned our room. Our trip was made easy and fun with the all-inclusive package. As I mentioned, the two places to choose from to eat were amazing. Iggies was more of a beach hang out but quality food. We ordered what we wanted from the menu and it was all amazing. The drinks, atmosphere and service was great too. Our only small issue from this experience was that several weddings took place over the weekend. One of the weddings had their own music off to the side which cancelled the live band that was scheduled at Iggies. We were disappointed because we didn't have live entertainment that we were looking forward to, however, the atmosphere and food was awesome. The fine dining experience at the Lobster Grill was great for dinner and for breakfast. We sat in the open air seating every morning and it was such a relaxing way to start each day.

The highlight of this entire trip was being able to experience the Heavenly Days Sail Vessel. We went out on it three times. Two were included with our package. A sun-set cruise, a snorkel trip with turtles and then we paid to be with them for a full day sail to St. John.

We also decided to take a taxi from Bolongo to RedHook and then a ferry ride to St. John to experience snorkeling at Trunk Bay. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to.

My husband and I fell in love all over again and we felt so blessed to be in such a beautiful place for our anniversary. Even though we went as a couple, we kept thinking of all the things our kids would be doing if they were with us. As active teens, they would have loved all the beach activities, pool, and excursions around the Island. There were many kids there with their family but at no point was it overwhelming. This place is definitely for all ages.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the pool area and the Lobster Grill. It was the main area of the complex. It...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!