“A Visit to Remember... we'll do it again!” 4 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Crystal, Minnesota, United States
“A Visit to Remember... we'll do it again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was a bit hesitant to book this trip after reading others reviews, but took a chance and we are pleased I did. We (my husband and I) were at BB in St.Thomas The week of 4/8-4/12 and were greeted at he taxi by Simon w/assistance w/our bags and rum punch drinks! Mark made our check-in friendly and smooth and we were pleasantly relieved to receive an upgrade from value room to oceanfront! (we were in Rm. 169- Awesome view of the sea from our balcony!) Upon settling into our room, we're further impressed by the clean open atmosphere and welcoming bottle of champagne and well wishes on our honeymoon from The Doumengs (resort proprietors), we felt welcomed and relaxed, immediately. We had the majority of our meals (as AI guest) at IGGIES, BAR&GRILL on the beach. The burger and fish was good as were the cocktails! (Shoutout to Rachel and Mike, you 2 were the best!) #BAMBOOLULU #TEQUILASHOTS We enjoyed breakfast a couple of mornings at The Lobster Grille and it was very pleasant... we look forward to spending more time there, next visit! The beach (though, rocky) was quiet and exclusive and not at all crowded at any point during the day! The sea was exquisite. The entertainment was ok, not phenomenal, at IGGIES. Jon Gazi was cool and the carnival night was the most geared in the direction of music we like to hear on vacation in the carribbean, Reggae... good reggae. Very nice. We enjoyed Joe's wood whittling and jewelry shack on the beach and there were lots of beach activities available to guest. We enjoyed getting to know some of our fellow guest (the danish kids were really sweet!) and the helpful staff, Bernadette, our room attendant. All in all, it was a honeymoon/birthday/graduation vacation to remember... we WILL be back! The only downside was the room safe was too small to hold my laptop and after another guest stole my phone from the bar on night one (I know it was another guest because there was an attempt to logon to my FB from GA the next day) I found the safe issue, worrysome. My laptop was fine, though. Oh, the showers are VERY tiny... and washclothes were seemingly in short supply.

Room Tip: 169* lovely view from the balcony!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Newport News, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

When we walked in the room my wife started to cry, seriously. The room was dirty and dim. Everything was old and broken. The AC was a rusty window unit that leaked onto the balcony. The doors were not at all solid or sound proof, they were essentially screen doors with glass louvers. The beach was tiny and 95% rocks. The bay was not any better and full of sea grass. We hated everything about it. I was there for less than 30 minutes before we got on the phone a booked a room at a certain Reef Resort that has something to do with a Frenchman. The new place was perfect. BBBR was awful and I would never again stay there not even for free.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wayland, Massachusetts, US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Back in the 1960's, Bolongo Bay Beach Resort was probably a wonderful place to visit. It's a pretty typical outdated 2 floor motel. It is right on the beach (not the best beach, but a decent beach, nonetheless) but also right on a noisy main road.
We normally spend a week at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, but due to a huge blizzard this year we found ourselves needing to tack on 2 extra nights in the US Virgin Islands. We had sailed past Bolongo Bay Beach Resort in the past, and it looked fairly clean and well maintained, (albeit from the vantage point of a 1/4 mile out in the ocean) so we made our reservations there for 2 nights.
I didn't get a very good feeling for the resort at check in. The front desk person couldn't find our reservations, couldn't get the internet to work to double check if we did have reservations, and also couldn't raise anyone on the phone. When I asked her if there was a problem providing us with 2 rooms, she said, "With the amount you are paying, we'll have no problem getting you a room!" (In other words, we were paying top dollar....and everyone else was getting a much better deal.)
They gave us 2 rooms, both on the second floor. Both rooms were very tired. They have not been upgraded in YEARS! Scratched mismatched plates, one coffee mug, one cup...ugh. The dishes looked dirty and were not useable. It wouldn't cost Bolongo Bay Resort more than a few dollars to upgrade the dishes. It's an easy fix...and makes the guests feel like they care.
The food was passable. Had a good meal at Iggies Restaurant (on the property) on the first night, but horrific nachos made with Cheese Whiz on the second night.
They advertise free internet, but over the course of 2 full days, we never did manage to make a connection. The resort was not full, and yet we were not able to get a beach chair on the sand. Nor were we able to get a towel at the beach hut. The young man said they were all in the wash and to check back in a few hours. We had to go to the room and bring our bath towels down.
The bottom line: we would never stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here (like in the event of a nuclear war) get a first floor room. Second floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bolongo Bay provided a more authenic island experience than another hotel I spent time in while visiting the Virgin Islands. The room was nice and clean and I enjoyed sitting on my deck watching and listening to the waves and the view was beautiful. The staff throughout the resort was friendly and willing to help with a variety of requests. If you take advantage of this experience, do yourself a favor and stop into the gift shop where you will meet a true gem named Laura McMurray. She runs the gift shop and arranges trips for the guests. She is friendly, knowledgeable, honest, and you won't regret following any advice offered as you plan your vacation outings. Laura will make you feel like you are home.....only with a better view!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Westland, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were much happier this time around, we stayed at Bolongo Bay Beach resort and we were happy with the outcome. We did the all inclusive package which may be better for people that are big eaters and heavy drinkers, i did it for the convenience. wish we had know abut the 7 day deal to spend day on catamaran but had to pay extra, we stayed 6 days. We ate more so at lobster grill than iggies but both were good. The people were very friendly. Lil costly compared to other all inclusive packages. If you are high maintenance i would recommend elsewhere, if you are looking for island life and simple this is it. wonderful breeze thru our room and was able to keep windows open and sleep to the sweet sound of the ocean not an air conditioner.

Room Tip: On the beach :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I often equate the price I pay for a hotel room to equate with the facilities offered. Was very disappointed with the infrastructure and beach at the Bolongo Bay hotel. Very outdated glorified motel steps from the noisy road. If rocky beaches with loads of weed growth in the water is your thing, then this is the beach for you! I would have been happy with the accommodations and beach if I was paying $150 per night for a room but the room in late January was $380 plus. Only spent one night there before we moved with friends as planned to a villa on the other side of the Island. To be truthful I didn't enjoy St Thomas as a whole. Too populated as well the overcrowding when up to 8 large cruise ships were docked at port.

On the bright side I found the staff to be very friendly and cheerful. Can't fault the staff at this place. I hope they are paid well from the management charging such high room rates to guests. The bar and wait staff were very attentive but very noteworthy was the beach attendant who actually came in helping my search for my underwater camera which I clumsily lost amongst the short weeds in the bay. The views from the rooms at sunset were fabulous as well.

Overall I would rate this hotel much higher if the prices were significantly lower!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
NEBRASKA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had read the reviews and did not have high expectations. I can't say though that all of my low expectations were met. Overall, it is decent enough, just not as nice as what I am used to. As an American I found it had a better vibe than the resorts I've stayed at on the British influenced Caribbean islands. It is a family friendly resort. I'd have to say that the best point of the hotel is the service and atmosphere at Iggies.
My first impression was not impressive. Lobby is very small and clerk had no personality. We were not made to feel welcome upon arrival at all. We also did not receive a welcome rum punch even though they said they would send one. This has to be the first hotel I have stayed at that did not have a book in the room to tell you about the resort and what the hours and policies were. I wouldn't even have known what time check out was had it not been on the check-in paperwork. Once again, I was very unhappy to have to wear an armband for my entire stay for all-inclusive services. This really made no sense, as you were required to sign for everything you ate or drank and give your room number. I have never been to an all-inclusive before that kept track of every little thing you drank. They kept track of everything so diligently there was no need at all for the armband.
Be forewarned that there are iguanas running around everywhere. DON'T sit under a palm tree or one may fall on you!!! Yes, I said fall on you!!! They make quite a thud when they land!!! I was shocked that none of the staff seemed to be concerned about the potential for someone to be injured. The rooms are also full of tiny little bugs crawling all over the counters. I hope none of them came home with me!!!
Getting around the resort could be challenging for some people with mobility issues. The walkways and sidewalks are uneven. There are also lots of steps.
Also be warned that beachfront does not mean oceanfront. One building is considered beachfront as you walk out onto the sand, but you are farther from the ocean. I would call it oceanview, not oceanfront. I was let down by the view we received. I expected much better.
View - OK, not the best. You can see their Buck Island. You can't see the sunset or sunrise.
Rooms - mattresses are comfy and seem new, furniture is fairly nice but needs leveled with the floor, linens are decent, overall spacious
Bathrooms - have a nice big vanity, but floor tiles need to be replaced, showers are small and have no shelves for toiletries, showerheads are old and small, water temp in shower is difficult to regulate
Sleep - Just forget about it!!! All the doors and windows have screens and louvers instead of glass. You hear ALL the noise from outside. I would also imagine those outside can hear what you are doing. You can't go to sleep early because you hear the LOUD band from the bar until 11 or 12. Then you have bugs and frogs hollaring until the early morning when it's the roosters turn to take over. The hotel is also right beside a busy road so you hear the traffic whizzing by, including many garbage and delivery trucks. Then they clean the beach with a sand machine starting at 6:30 AM. Turning on the A/C doesn't help the problem as it is very noisy.
Tour desk - Lady is about snooty. She wants to tell you what days to do things, not let you decide for yourself. If you want more info about something she will place a call and let you talk to them instead of finding out herself. She's not the least bit interested in helping you find out about anthing that isn't on her list. They do NOT rent cars at the hotel, make your own arrangements before you arrive!! You can book the excursions they offer on your own for a lot less money. Included turtle sail and sunset sail with all-inclusive was OK, not great. Crew was very nice. Refreshments on cruises were very minimal.
Beach - is small, but adequate, water is clear and usually calm. You will definetly need water shoes. There are a lot of rocks and seaweed.
Pool - is small, no hot tub - never did find out what the pool hours are, I'm assuming they didn't want people swimming at night as the pool in right in front of the restaurant
Activities - far end of property has a tennis court, basketball court, sand volleyball, and bean bag games. There are also plenty of watersports. Dive shop is on-site and has daily excursions. Scuba lessons are also offered in the pool.
TV- they're old-style, but that's OK - problem is there are very few channels and the worst part is that they're all fuzzy
Food - OK, nothing spectacular. Breakfast is choice of buffet or a la carte. All is good, but limited selection, gets repetative if you are staying longer than a week. Lunch selections are a little limited. Many foods are a little bit spicy. We didn't care for the island style rice served with most of the dinner plates. Black beans were good. Loved the plantains. Some of the meats weren't done enough to suit me, but all were tender and had a good flavor. Crab legs were the worst I've ever had. They were soft and impossible to crack. It was VERY difficult to get the meat out. I've never seen anything like it. Iced tea was horrible!!!!!!!!!! Make your own in the room. Thankfully we were all-inclusive as soft drinks cost $2 and were so small it would take 3 servings to equal a can.
Wait staff- service varied, you never knew what you were going to get. Iggies servers were much better than at the Lobster Grill. At the Lobster Grill you may wait awhile for a table, or to get a drink. The servers tended to be VERY forgetful about drinks. Once you ordered food it was quick to arrive, it just took a long time to get ordered. One night we had a reservation, but still had to wait 1 hour to get a table. People who arrived after us were seated before us. We almost left.
Iggies- made the place. The bartenders were great!!!!! Super nice and friendly and very attentive. You never had to wait for a fresh drink. There was a great atmosphere at Iggies. It felt like it could be your favorite local bar. Everyone was friendly and enjoying themselves. All the entertainment was good. A different band every night, so you didn't get bored. I loved the decor at both restaurants. They reminded me of Hawaii.
Carnival night - Buffet was delicious and had lots of selection. Music was good, but a bit loud. Show was a little disappointing. 3/4 of show was audience participation. Only 1 mocko jumbie and he spent 1/2 hour taking pictures with people instead of waiting until after the show. Performer, from Antigua, was OK. However, we saw a similar show a few years ago in Antigua that was much better. All in all, I was glad that we were all-inclusive, because if we would have had to pay extra for the show I would have been disappointed. They need to be better organized. They didn't inform the guests about the event at all. Several people showed up to eat at Iggies and were unaware that it was carnival night, and all they were serving was the buffet. It also didn't do us much good to get there early to get a good table when a lot of rude people went and stood in front of everyone once the show started. Staff should have made them move!!
Maids - start promptly at 9:30 and make a lot of noise. They usually return in the afternoon to see if you need anything. If you want any privacy you better hang out the Do Not Disturb sign and bolt the door. They are VERY pushy and just yell and walk right in. They don't hesitate even for a second or wait even if you yell back. One day they yelled and came right in even though our sign was out!!! I have never experienced such pushy maids!!!!
Excursions -
St. Thomas- has a few nice areas, but overall, not my kind of place. Coral World has some nice exhibits, but is small, will only take 2-3 hours to see. Downtown is VERY crowded. Most stores and Blackbeard's Castle do not open unless there is more than one cruise ship in port. Call ahead. Fort Christian is closed for renovations.
Driving - Roads are pretty bad, very winding, with many blind crests at the top of hills. Driving can be a bit confusing on the left, and the local drivers are very aggressive. It can also be difficult to find parking. All that said, we still preferred the freedom of having our own car.
St. John - VERY NICE!!! I highly recommend renting a car on this island. We had no problems taking the car ferry from St. Thomas. Island is easy to navigate. St. John is mostly N.P. and is very pristine, natural, and uncrowded. Much more to our liking. There are several interesting sugar plantation and mill ruins to explore and trails to hike. Beaches are beautiful. Roundtrip ferry is cheaper than one-way. Each ferry runs on an hourly schedule making it easy to return when you want to. Weekend tickets are $10 less than weekdays.
B.V.I. - day trip was wonderful, highly recommended. Was a beautiful ride around the different islands with stops on several to see points of interest.
Overall, the resort is only average. Worst part is probably trying to get good, quiet sleep. If you don't have high expectations it will suit you. If you want fancy, posh surroundings don't stay here. There aren't a lot of hotel choices on the island. It's probably a good choice for families and those on a budget. We stopped at Sapphire Beach and found the view and beach spectacular. It is far from the noisy road and has security guards. They also had a nice pool and large balconies. Plus they have a marina and car rental on-site, but no restaurant or bar. So Bolongo Bay is probably the best bet if you want a place that has everything on-site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!