“Excellent impromptu stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in South Coast
Cunupia, Trinidad
“Excellent impromptu stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at Bolongo Bay Resort with my family for one night as we missed our ferry to Tortola. The staff at reception helped us with our bags as we had been doing some shopping and my wife and I were given a complimentary rum punch on check in which was delicious and set the tone for a great evening.
The room was quaint but very comfortable and very clean. The room was equipped with a fridge, microwave and a sink with dishwashing liquid etc which was a great help to us with storing the baby’s food and cleaning his bottles.
We went to Iggies for dinner and the food was delicious, the beer was cold and beach from setting was beautiful with an amazing sunset. The live Bananas Foster French Toast and it was excellent. The butter rum sauce was amazing.
The stand out feature at the resort was the staff. They were polite and very helpful. We were having trouble with our phones roaming and we needed to contact family at home to tell them we were spending the night. After being unable to get the room phone to connect, the gentleman at the reception desk offered to let us use his personal cell phone to make our calls. Eventually we got the calls placed from the room, but he called the room back to extend the offer of his phone if we needed it at anytime. This gesture was greatly appreciated.
All in all it is an amazing resort, set on a beautiful beach, the food is great and the room is very comfortable. It is a family owned resort and honestly the staff makes you feel like family. Will be back to Bolongo Bay, this time we will plan our stay ahead of time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Palatine, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just got back from Bolongo Bay and will be going back again and again - much like all the nice people we met there and told us they have been coming back for years! First I'll sum up why Bolongo Bay is a great place to go, and then I'll provide more details.

The difference between Bolongo Bay and the other (more corporate hotels) is:

Bolongo Bay:
Steps to the Beach (other hotels are on hills so have to walk all the way down to beach)
Non-crowded beach (other hotels have much larger capacity, hence more people)
Only holds 170 rooms (I think) so you are always tended to and can always relax in total peace
I believe the only place in St. Thomas that has outdoor entertainment every night of the week
Rooms are not made of marble and glass (like the more corporate "Marriott's") but they are big, clean and beds are very comfortable. (Who needs marble and glass when you spend 90% of your time outside of the room anyway?)
Friendly staff that I have NEVER found anywhere else I've been in the world
Everything you need during the day is within walking distance (on grounds) - restaurant on both sides of beach, water sports hut, little store, front desk, business center, etc. all within steps

So, here's what you get to expect while vacationing at Bolongo Bay: Amazing welcome (welcome sign with your personal names listed, champagne (if you have special event or if you are a returning guest - sometimes even a bottle of rum), Incredibly nice staff that remember your name every time they see you and say hello (even the landscapers say hello by name). A wonderful and clean beach that is never crowded! Free (non-motor) water sports - snorkel, body board, sailing, paddle boats, etc. Clean rooms with fridge and large balcony, all rooms are steps from beach, swim up bar, fine dining restaurant, casual outdoor restaurant, outdoor entertainment every night, all inclusive option if desired, kid friendly, volleyball tournaments, tennis courts, hammocks, friendly iguanas walking along the beach and in pool. You are far enough away from downtown and away from cruise ship crowds but still only an $8 cab ride into town.

If you truly want a VERY relaxing vacation without the hustle and bustle of crowds and noise with the attention to detail and warm hearted people....THEN GO TO BOLONGO BAY! You won't regret it! I promise!!

Room Tip: select room 169 if you want second floor and want to stare at the beach!
Greenville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First impressions are important and this is the weakest part of the Bolongo Bay Resort. Fortunately, they make up for it in other areas, but the lobby area and the rooms (which is the first thing we saw) are not impressive AT ALL. The staff and overall attitude of the resort are great, really, but the hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I know it's quaint and all that, but it really should be worked on. My 20 year old and I took a mom/daughter trip during her college break and couldn't get our preferred hotel on St. Thomas, so we booked Bolongo. She loved it, mainly due to the beach amenities and the beach staff, who were extremely nice and helpful with getting her involved with some new water sports. The beach is nice; we sunned, snorkeled with a sea turtle, kayaked, sailboarded, paddle boarded, and drank tropical drinks. Obviously, we packed it in! The restaurant is nice and convenient and reasonable and Iggys is a short walk down the beach for a great bar and casual food. One night they showed a movie on the beach at Iggy's (next door) while we ate. Overall, I'd say, if the room is not key in making your trip enjoyable and you go out more than you stay in, enjoy the Bolongo Bay Resort for what it is; not the Marriott.

Room Tip: We think the 2nd floor is the nicest view, and we stayed near the pool and it was fine. If you stay...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Butler PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is not some white washed sanitized smug resort.
Every person there cares that you enjoy your experience. Snorkeling or Hobie Cat lesson no problem just ask the great guys at the beach hut. They also recommended a better snorkel
for my wife which we bought at the on site dive shop.
We arrived on March2 over 2 hours before check in not only was our room ready but they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne..our 32nd anniversary:) We had room 114 for the week
(waves hi to Jeff). I met some tremendous people there and could never mention them all by name even though certainly remembered ours all the time. The people at the Lobster Grill will also remember if you have a favorite table. Our preference was the 2nd floor two person directly over the pool. My favorite breakfast was the new englander. Favorite dinner the delmonico:)
Portions were huge we had trouble eating it all and my wife never did. Never had one bad meal
or one bad experience. The drinks are just what we wanted strong and never ending. The all inclusive beachfront is the way to go. That gentle lapping sound of the ocean just makes you sleep very deeply. I had read tons of reviews about bugs here is my take on it....its the tropics!
Fire Ants= Nope never saw one just a few sugar ants don't take food to your room was our rule.
Mosquitos= only a few after it rained.
NoSeeUms=we avoided being outside an hour after sunrise and an hour after sunset. I am very allergic to all bites and welt easily but had no issues.
Iggies is the very best beach bar we saw we just preferred Lobster Grille.
The turtles were often just a few feet off the beach take your water proof camera!!
Heavenly days cruises turtles and sunset were just great. Tip for the sunset cruise sit in the back
on the way back you'll have the sunset views :)
Summary the Duomeg family and crew actually care about you and your enjoying your stay I can not wait to go back next time I just won't get sunburned on the 2nd day. Every person there was just amazing..oohhh and if you see Joseph the woodcarver onsite tell him hi and buy something like we did he does amazing work.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms 113-117 are the best. We are early to bed types and Iggies can be loud depending on...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you ever wondered what heaven feels like, stay at Bolongo Bay... It is as close as it could be..You will get the 5 star treatment in so many ways..They are small out of the way resort in a peaceful cove..With outstanding service and atmosphere..Thier staff will answer any questions you may have ,and are always friendly and making your stay feel like home..I was amazed how comfortable i felt there.I would like to thank the entire staff for making it feel like home..i really did not want to leave..Will I be back ...YES !!!...I met some awesome people and made some life long friends..What more could a person ask for..They offer such a wide range of activeies, like sorkling and suba ,non powered fun of all types..and trips like the sunset cruise and swim with the turtles..and lets not forget,diving trips or jet sking..and as the sun sets the entertainment just gets started at Iggys..they have live entertainment every night,your sure to have fun there.why even the locals come to Iggy's to play and eat..Now thats saying something...I had a awesome time at Bolongo and would never stay anywhere else..there no place like home...Next time I hope to meet the owner and thank them for having such a grest resort...If you cant have fun here you wont have fun anywhere...By the end of my stay I wished I worked for Bolongo Bay..It was the best vaction i have had.....

Room Tip: "Higher floors have less A/C unit noise"
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at Bolongo Bay, and we had an amazing time.
The food was top notch the people who worked there really loved their jobs. Ms V is a real sweetheart and Cornelius was a hoot opening up coconuts for us to drink the coconut water he's very entertaining. Speaking of entertainment they will keep you entertained every night of the week at Iggie's Bar and Grill. The last band we saw was a little bland for our liking but over all the place blew us away.
Our room was 45 steps from the water and the snorkeling was great at the resort the bartenders were very nice and they make some great drinks.
Heaeanly Days was a fun Catamaran and the deck hands Kyle and Lindsley were alot of fun
I can definitly tell you that we'll be back along with all the other people on the trip we met were all be backs as well.

Do yourself a favor and forget the rest of the resorts you were possibly looking at and just book the best one out there which was Belongo Bay and see for yourself like we did.

Room Tip: get a ocean front room your so close to the ocean well worth the money also if you can hold out till...
Merrill, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week trip. We were first time travelers here and we LOVED it. If you are looking for a great family run hotel that is out of the way from the busy downtown traffic, this is it. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice but not a 5 star hotel. However, we had No complaints at all as we spent most of our time on the beach and outside. We are already planning our next trip back. We loved the relaxed atmosphere and met many other guests from around the states. Many who were repeat guest and some had been back over 10 years. We had no complaints with the food either, you have a choice of two restaurants that each have different choices of food. The Heavenly Days staff- Capt Peter, Lindsey, and Kyle made our snorkeling experience a great time. Also the staff at the St Thomas Dive Club were as helpful as well. It was my husband first time diving and Marci and Shawn did a great job teaching him to dive. All of the staff members made you feel like family and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!