“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East End
The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas
Great Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Cambridge, MA
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at both Wyndham Sugar Bay and the nearby Ritz-Carlton so my view of each place is colored by the other. On a scale of 0 to 100, I'd give Sugarbay 70-80, and the Ritz about 10 points higher.

Sugar Bay had a nicer ocean-side view than the Ritz (The resort-facing rooms are significantly cheaper.) More specifically, the man-made portion of the beach at the Ritz was more luxurious, and the deck chairs and surrounding architecture was nicer, but the Ritz hotel rooms were farther away from the beach and separated by a small utility road. The beach at Sugar Bay was smaller and seemed to be about 10 years out of date, though its small size is partly why the ocean-side view was prettier there.

But even though I give Sugar Bay good marks, in most every other way except the ocean-side view, the Ritz was even better. The staff at the latter were more numerous and more attentive. The overall architecture of the Ritz (think Italian villa) was of a higher quality. There was a musty smell outside my room at Sugar Bay unlike anything I smelled at the Ritz (though the inside of my Sugar Bay room was quite nice, and only slightly lower in quality than at the Ritz). The nightly list of activities at Sugar Bay (for example, a movie night, or a karaoke night) was designed to appeal to a different kind of consumer than the kind that typically chooses to stay at a Ritz. My biggest complaint about Sugar Bay was that they make you wear (and swim and shower and sleep in) a wristband like the kind you get at a nightclub, and I believe there's a $70 charge if you lose it. The mattresses in both places were too soft, but they were clean and not lumpy.

However, there's the question of whether the higher quality is worth the significantly higher price. In my case, the price of my Sugar Bay room was about half of what I paid at the Ritz (though the Ritz room included a delicious breakfast and what amounted to a room service meal for two). For me, that made Sugar Bay a better bargain.

I would recommend the Ritz only if you really need to impress the person you're with (and you're willing to pay a significant amount of money in order to be around people like yourself or else to avoid having to associate with budget-conscious people like me). A final caution: the Ritz-Carlton hotels in St. Thomas is not going to have the same level of excellence as the Ritz-Carlton in New York or Chicago. So even though the scenery in St. Thomas is much nicer, you should adjust your expectations accordingly.

One last note apropos of nothing: if you're planning an oceanside wedding in Saint Thomas, I highly recommend sprinkling rose petals up and down the aisle and on the veranda. If you're lucky, an iguana or two will crawl out of the shrubbery during the ceremony and start munching away. Awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very nice, but ridiculously expensive. Facilities are first rate, staff is polite and helpful, but couldn't really ever see going back at the prices they charge. You can shop around for a decent rate at the condos, but the extracurriculars like food and spa will kill you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I had our second honeymoon at the Ritz in St. Thomas, and it was a great experience! The service was exceptional and accommodations were top-notch. The rooms are large, well-appointed and clean. The grounds and gardens are lovely, the restaurants are good, although expensive. The service was impeccable.

Room Tip: the ocean views are gorgeous!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ijamsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I loved my stay at the Ritz Carlton residences. We were there for 8 days thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Everything I needed in the kitchen and dishes were washed every day. Lots of towels and turndown service - with chocolate of course. Condo was clean and floors washed while we were out. The snorkeling is AWESOME right off the beach - on your right from the residence beach and on the left and right from the hotel beach. Incidentally, bring or rent your snorkel equipment from Red Hook - the prices are crazy at the Ritz, but you knew that. I saw turtles, rays, squid, too many types of fish, sea urchins etc. all without a taxi ride. Pools on both sides are great with big fluffy towels, ice water and well padded lounge chairs both sun and shade. We made a sand picture frame on the hotel side and it turned out great - saw a more expensive one similar on St. John. We charted one of the Nauti Nymph boats and had Captain Don (Zephyr Charters) take us to the BVI's for a day - MUST DO! Downside - they were replacing appliances in some of the condos and workmen were here and there but not in our way and the prices for the on site restaurants are crazy - forget room service - take out, cook or delivery is the way to go. Friendly staff to take us up the hill to the hotel or call a taxi.

Room Tip: If you want a two bedroom ask about the layout, there are condo's with two "master rooms&qu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Wow, where has the quality of Ritz Carlton sunk to? This property is not much better than a motel 6. The rooms were nice and the view and setting was great. However the finishes, quality of furnishings, towels, amenities were below standard. The staff was just so-so. I had to ask every day for the same things like extra towels. The housekeeping service was sub par and the towel were horrible!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Service was great. Staff more than friendly. Kitchen was great for cooking meals in. Grocery store is very close. Pools, beach and food outstanding. Great water sports. Easy to park a rental car. We went on vacation to dive. We used the Red Hook Dive Shop. Outstanding shop that is very close to the Ritz.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are the same. Very nicely decorated and plenty of space. Sofa folds out to a bed...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had an amazing time here!

Our view was phenomenal and the residences are absolutely beautiful. We rented a paddleboard and went snorkeling around the club. We saw sea turtles, sting rays and other incredible sea life not too far from shore. Most of the staff was very friendly but we did encounter a couple local staff members that did not want to be disturbed. Although, we found this to be common throughout the island. We did find it a bit rude/odd at times but assumed it was an "island time" thing.
Restaurants:
Bluewater- Incredible. Amazing!
Sails: Also amazing! Try the lobster pizza!.... (I know, right?)
Coconut cove: Just okay for us. We ordered the lobster and there was little meat in it :-(
The desserts were great though and it's a fun place to hang out if you get locked out of your residence :-) - (The system to open our door just died and they had to replace the battery).

The concierge that we dealt with, Ashley, was fantastic! She was super helpful with everything and very friendly every time!

Spa: I got a pedicure and the staff was very friendly there as well. I was hoping for maybe a foot massage or scrub since the pedi came to $70ish with mandatory gratuity and service charge.

I think that's it! :-) Overall, very happy!

If you are staying at least a week, definitely rent a car (As long as you're okay with driving on the left side of the road!) because for an active couple... well, we needed to get out every once in a while. Exploring the island is super fun! Just get lost :-)

Room Tip: If I remember correctly, we were in the Jasmine building and our room was unbelievable!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!