“Stunning views, beautiful beach….tired resort!” 3 of 5 stars

Sapphire Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rte. 6 Smith Bay | Smith Bay Road, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in East End
Orland, Maine
“Stunning views, beautiful beach….tired resort!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My mom and I just got back from 5 nights at Sapphire Beach. First off we rented privately from an owner, so no need for your taxi to drop you at the Pavilion and Pools have them take you directly to your building. We stayed in building C and the inside of the condo was fully renovated, but that building has not been renovated yet. There are full scale renovations going on to other buildings so its not quiet. Make sure you contact the owner and manager several days prior to your arrival, day before and day of, if you choose to rent privately. We had a bit of a mix up but it was taken care of. The property itself is rather run down, but it looks like a major effort are going on to bringing it back. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling was ok, we didn't have the best visibility due to weather. The marsh ducks are wonderful and the iguanas surprise you they were awesome! Gets a bit crowded when the cruise ships are in port. Our condo was lovely and right on the beach. Red hook is about a 15 min walk or a $26 taxi ride, we chose to eat in a lot! Plenty of restaurants, shops and grocery store in red hook as well. No restaurants at the resort there is a beach side portable grill they serve food and drinks. We walked to Red Hook and took the ferry to St John that is a must we will stay on St. john next time!! We really had a great time because we are truly beach bums (thats all we did) and in no way do I want my above comments to be taken in a negative way I just thought travelers would like to know.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building C was great, full renovations going on in A and B. Building D has been fully r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Have arrived to Sapphire Beach on Dec 1 - there are no check-in facilities, the office is being renovated. Check in is in Pavilions and Pools, a mile up the road. What if I didn't have a car? There is info in the room concerning the availability of free lounges and beach towels. After somewhat of a fight for the former I was told to feel free to buy beach towels from the vendors. A quick phone call confirmed that the towels are available at Pavilions and Pools (have I mentioned that it is a mile up the road?). And it is only the first day here. Stay tuned but so far it is a one star experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My friends and I stayed for 5 nights at Sapphire Beach in November. We had a great experience. The unit we stayed in had a very comfortable king bed and a pull out couch. Additionally there was an air mattress that was available as well that we used for a few nights. We had a full kitchenette that was fully equipped for self catering, indoor and outdoor tables for four, two flat screen digital televisions with satellite TV, a newly renovated bathroom with his and her sinks as well as nice little extras - snorkel gear, coolers, other things for the beach, etc. We also had a balcony.

This was a great place to suit our needs. We self catered breakfast everyday (what a view for your morning coffee!) and had our other meals elsewhere. Options on this beach for food are very limited, so you should be prepared to self cater, have a rental car or pay for taxis to get to Red Hook for meals. The roads are very dangerous to walk, but it did seem it would be possible to walk to Red Hook along a pathway in the road - we never tried it. The resort area is also serviced on a local Safari vehicle route with rides for $1 - again, never tried it.

I realize this place gets incredibly mixed reviews because your experience is dependent on the building you are in. There are 5 buildings - A - E and the building we stayed in, D, seemed to be the only one that was fully renovated. Active construction work is going on during the day on the property but is not disruptive. In my opinion, the views from building D are the best but all units across the property appeared to have beach front balconies.

We had tons of fun, loved the views and I would definitely stay here again. We booked through homeaway.com and there are several Sapphire properties listed there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This resort is very nice, the beach just makes it. Its a long stretch of friendly turquiose waters. I think this stretch is just as nice if not nicer than Magen's Bay.
We rented from an owner for 10 days in January. The island has a nice breeze and is seemed quite safe to be out and about at night. The island is clean.
The downside is that there is not a bar/restaurant on site, which I now learned that its nice to have that. Even if its just to run down for a bottled water. But would like to have a place to get a quick bite or some cocktails. Red Hook is like a 2 minute ride down the hill. Even for us beginning left side drivers, we felt safe driving down there at night...it was so close. And Red Hook has a ferry to St. John.
There are boating excursions that leave out of Sapphire Marina.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have an ocean/beach view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I crewed on a sailboat to Virgin Gorda, BVI. I had a reservation at the Sapphire Beach Resort for just 2 days to relax from the boat passage, before I flew home from St. Thomas. However, we arrived many days earlier than expected (great wind). Even though I was past my free cancellation date, when I talked to Corlis at Sapphire Beach Resort she said she would refund my entire deposit amount. Even though I did not stay there I received 1st class service. I will book another reservation at the Sapphire Beach Resort, and this time I'll stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you rent here, go through VRBO and rent from an owner. We used rental 216218 (E202) and had a fantastic time. The condo was wonderful and clean, with an amazing view of St. John to wake up to. It's right on the beach and there is snorkle gear, coolers and chairs at the unit for you to use and take on day trips. It's also located next to the Sapphire Bay Marina where you can pick up an amazing day trip through BVI with Break A Way (recommended by the owners, and was one of the highlights of our trip). Also super close to Red Hook if you want to take the ferries to the other islands or grab a bite to eat. The unit has a great kitchen - a full size fridge, stove top, toaster, coffee machine, blender, etc. making it easy to cook meals at home. The owners from rental 216218 were VERY responsive, and I never felt out of touch.

If you get a chance, eat at the Off the Grid BBQ food truck at the top of the hill. Their food is amazing and very reasonably priced! Probably one of the best meals we had during our stay. Also great was the sushi restaurant in Red Hook called Revelry (formerly Coco Blue but went through a name change 2 weeks ago)

The one thing I will mention (which would have been disappointing if we had not known in advance from reading other reviews of the property) is that I would recommend renting a car. The "resort" (like many others in St. Thomas) has not been kept up and doesn't not have a restaurant or shops and the tennis courts have seen better days but does have a nice pool and a place to rent water gear like paddle boards. I didn't take away any stars from the review I wrote on VRBO because this is not the fault of the owners and did not affect our personal enjoyment of our stay or the condo itself (which was perfect) but worth noting as to not have any false expectations.

Having said that, we wouldn't have picked a different place to stay. The owners were very easy to work with and the space was clean with a beautiful view. Great location away from the tourists but still close to restaurants, ferries, grocery, etc. Don’t think you can find a better view on the island!

Room Tip: Rent from VRBO 216218
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We rented two second floor units in building C through VRBO. With a conjoining balcony. The view from the balcony was so breathtaking. Color of the sea, sky ,white sand and palm tree was so vivid. I could just stay on the balcony all day drinking painkiller.

Both units were clean and tastefully decorated. Had everything that we need . A good supply of beach towels and clean linen.

The reefs were so close to the shore, snorkeling was good. Heard about people seeing turtles and rays. We swam over to the grassy part but could not find them. I guessed we were not up early enough.

There was a Grill Bar right by building C. Susie would take your order and bring it right to your lounge chair. Great burgers, fries. Loved the chicken fingers and pickles. They made very good cocktail, too. Price was reasonable.

Lots of iguanas sunbathing. You will have a problem if you afraid of crawly things. We used to have a bearded dragon as pet, so they were fun to be around. They don't really bother people until they see you eating. They will gather around you. But please don't feed them. Also really, really make sure that no iguana is on the tree overhead. My friend missed a heavy dropping of bowel and bladder movement by merely 2 seconds. It was hilarious!

Sapphire beach is centrally located. Very close to Redhook which has lots of good restaurants. The best thing being so close to the car ferry dock, you can sleep in a little longer if you want to take the early car barge to St. John.

We had an awesome 10 days at this resort. Will love to go back someday and rent from the same owner. He was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!