“Wonderful...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elysian Beach Resort

You added Elysian Beach Resort to your Saves list
Elysian Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6800 Estate Nazareth | one mile from intersection of Route 32 & 322, 00082, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in East End
Pennsylvania
“Wonderful...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I Stayed at the Elysian with my boyfriend from March 31-April 7th. Our room was great, we were in building C on the first floor and had a view of the pool and were about a 30 second walk to the beach, not alot of walking at all compared to most reviews!! The bed was very comftorable and there were no bed bugs! Also, I did not get bit at all like most reviews say. We ate dinner in Red Hook at Molly Malones (Irish bar) and the carribean saloon. Molly malones was great and the owners are from Philly (as are we) so there were Philly signs everywhere which made it fun for us. The caribean saloon is a great place to watch sports, they have over 20 tvs in that place! I highly recommend renting a car so you can go as you please at your own pace. We rented a jeep through budget and had no problems and the process of getting the jeep upon arrival was very quick. We also ate at Roberts American grille on Elysian properties which has amazing she crab soup, and a goat cheese salad. We liked it so much we went back again for our last night. We also had lunch at Ainsleys, which is also on Elysian properties and has amazing pizza. Elysian has a beautiful pool and an activities booth. We did the snorkel trip around St. John that included breakfast lunch and all you can drink beer / liquor all day long. Highly recmmend this!!! Lots of fun!!! and only $60 per person. We took the ferry to St. John and drove around the island all day, St. John is beautiful! Expect to pay about 50$ for 2 people and your car to take the ferry round trip. Our only complaint the whole week was the staff at the front desk....we had to change rooms in the middle of the week and they were a bit rude about this process but it all turned out to be fine in the end. We switched to building K on the 3rd floor and had a view of the beach which was nice but the room was smaller than building C. The grocery store around Red hook is VERY EXPENSIVE!!! If you can bring your own stuff I highly suggest it. We took a day trip to Meagan's bay which was beautiful but very crowded, I would have rathered relazed at the Elysian where there weren't many people. We also took our jeep to this secret part of the island which is on the very top of a mountain, the entrance to drive yourself is next to the sky ride entrance, drive all the way to the top for the best scenic views ever! All in all a wonderful trip! I was expecting the worst after reading some of these reviews.I absolutely loved it and would definitly go again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Northeast region
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

What a difference a year makes. We rented a single unit for a couple of days via VRBO before our actual check in date. I would recommend highly doing this if you have the extra time to stay. I was able to get cheaper flights not flying on a Saturday and the flights were not overbooked nor crowded. Really had a nice time this year. The resort was well kept. The staff was alot better this year than last. The pool was great, however, extremely busy w/little children running around w/toys everywhere. They still charge you that energy surcharge, even w/utility rates being lowered. Once again, Robert's is and was fantastic. In addition, we went to the Shipwreck at Havensight and that was great too. We did more cooking in house this year than last. I liked it alot better. We had a full kitchen which makes the vacation not feel like a vacation. Felt more at home. The negatives were: no linen changing at all the entire week. Check in is not until 4:00 PM. This is getting later and later each year. Our room was not even ready at 5:30 PM. We ended up getting into the room a little after 6. Check out is 10:00 AM, however, they started doing maintence extermination at 9:30 AM before we even checked out. I told them to come back after we checked out. This is an easy fix. If check out is at 10 and check in is not until 4, then do your maintance during these hours. All around we had a good time, however, next year, I think we are going to try someplace different. Stayed tune until next year if we do.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Clinton, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

We rented a 3 bdrm condo for 5 women. The rooms were really nice and roomy. The grounds of the hotel were just as nice. The beach and pool were both great as well as the food at the resteraunt. If you want to go for relaxation, Elysian is the place to be. You don't have all the "hoopla" of an all inclusive resort. However, it is very isolated. You have to have a car. The ride to town is about 30 minutes, although there are grocery stores close by. Red Hook is only a 10 minute ride that also has resteraunts and bars. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We rented a privately owned 2 bedroom condo through VRBO at the Elysian Beach Reort. The condo was very nice. Very clean and nicely furnished. Would rent this condo again. The resort was nice. Good beach. Very nice pool. It had very good restaurants and the food was great. Only complaint was the walkway outside our condo was never cleaned. The island itself was very nice in some area's and very scruffy and unkept in others. We enjoyed our stay overall despite our great disapointment at the Marriot Frenchman's Reef!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the Elysian because we needed a 3BR condo, as my husband and I each brought our parents with us. We rented through VRBO.com so our unit was probably much different from some on these posts. Our unit was wonderfully updated/renovated. It was very roomy and all three bedrooms had a king bed and it's own bathroom. It also had a rooftop deck and well as 3 additional balconies. The owner of this unit was wonderful to rent from and has thought of everything you could possibly need. I recommend looking through VRBO.

As for the resort facilities and amenities... we loved the location of the Elysian as most of our trips and adventures required us to leave from Red Hook. You must have a car on the island though so even though we were a bit out of downtown it's nice to actually have a beach and some quiet time. It also very fun to go adventuring around St. Thomas and take your car on the ferry to St. John. After visiting Magens Bay and many others, Cowpet Bay suffers in comparison but it's nice to have a beach close by. The pool at the Elysian is wonderful and the gardens are incredibly manicured. We ate at Robert's several times, very friendly staff and great pizza. Some posts have brought up the hills and stairs being a great challenge and while I'll agree they do exist I don't think it should be a reason to cross this resort off your list.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed in Building K, no view of the beach, but of the tennis court fence and another building. We went with another couple that had a time share with Wyndamm Resorts in the US. Booked the rooms in March, 08 and wanted ajoining rooms with a view. We had 211 and the other couple had 311. The other couple were biten by no see ems or bed bugs. Everything cost at the resort, fittness room, play toys on beach, room service. They do provide you wtih free beach towels. They have free internet off the main lobby (dial up,slow). They said that they had steps, no elevator, no problem there were only about 20 or 30 steps to our rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor. If I had to pay $259 a night for this I would be [-]. When you flushed the toilet it made a noise, beat on it and it would quit. It is like the staff did not care weather your were happy or not. One of the good things was Jeff the guy at the beach shack, he was nice and had a lot of information, plus coupons. He said, the timeshare sales staff was taken out and not replaced, not selling any units, so me and my wife did not have to put up with a high pressure sales presenation, where I say no and get my coupon and leave. One of the nice thins is the village of Redhook. Lots of shops, restraunts and watering holes. One of the nice thinggs about the USVI is there is no open container laws or harassment by the cops on drinking in public. If you buy a beer at a bar, you can finish it in your car while driving. Good place to eat in Redhook is Molly Malone's they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Prices are high for food but all the food we ate was good. Poberts Resturant on the Resort is good, put pricey.

• Liked — easy access in and out of room
  • Disliked — not worth for the price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

This was a first time on ST Thomas for us. I booked two adjoining rooms . Building Y 2nd floor. Limited view of the harbor. My son was bitten everynight while sleeping, bedbugs?
OK swimming on the bay, The restaurants were very good, friendly service and great food. Everything is expensive! To pay 9$ per person for 'energy ' extra is a rip off. Watch your bill, I was overcharged . When I brought up the matter to the desk clerk she did take the erroneous charges off.
Rooms were clean, no maid service unless you pay extra. Now that's ridiculous. I wanted a vacation, not a rental.
Next time, if , book building X, better view.
NLCross

• Liked — two restaurants, three bars, all the personnel
  • Disliked — no service included for the rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Elysian Beach Resort? Share your experiences!