“Mangroves are magical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Attractions in East End
Type: Forests, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Kayaking, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: The southern coast of St.Thomas is endowed with the attractive and protected Mangrove Lagoon Wildlife Sanctuary & Marine Preserve of exceptional natural resources and is filled with scenic contrasts: manglar islands, rocky cliffs, shallow clear waters with sea grass beds, salt ponds and panoramic ridge lines. These natural areas provide a rich nursery habitat for offshore coral reef fish and invertebrates, and homes to nesting egrets, pelicans, herons and terns.
Issaquah, Washington
7 attraction reviews
“Mangroves are magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

I've done mangrove paddle tours in 2 locations besides this, and it never fails to be magical. I saw this on the 2.5 hour VI Ecotours trip to through the area, and I could easily have explored all day. In most of the lagoon the water was crystal clear, and on the bottom you could see a type of jellyfish that farms algae (super cool!). Mangroves are fascinating and beautiful plants, and this would be a great area to paddle around on your own if you had the chance (though the tour moves at a good pace and provides lots of interesting info, so that's an excellent option).

Visited December 2014

Colorado Springs, Colorado
23 attraction reviews
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

Kayaking through the mangrove forest was an excellent time and then you have a very short hike and some wonderful snorkeling. My husband didn't like how shallow the water is for the snorkeling but I wear glasses and often can't see much while snorkeling so I thought it was grand to have everything so close. We saw a parrot fish and a file fish and even a baby barracuda. I was worried about the hike because my water shoes are not very comfortable, but it was quite short, albeit sometimes over sharp rocks.

The tour guide was very good at keeping us entertained while giving us information about the mangrove forest and the history of the area.

Visited October 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Great tour - excellent guides - DO IT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

We did this tour at the beginning of September and found it to be fantastic. Being from Ireland - we were expecting a really long hike - but thankfully it was much shorter then that. Our guides were just brilliant - Josh, one of the most animated guys we had met on our trip was clearly knowledgeable about the area and extremely passionate about what he does. Great guy! Erica was also just fantastic and could'nt have done more to ensure that everyone was looked after. As an experienced kyacker and hiker, I must say that I was extremely impressed by their attention to detail regarding safety. Besides offering high quality equipment they also provided ample amounts of water and sugary snacks for everyone. Regarding the tour itself, I am extremely thankful that I got to see such a fragile eco system in operation that could very easily vanish in my lifetime. Do it. You will not be dissapointed.

Morristown, Tennessee
“Our best island activity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The three hour kayak, hike and snorkel Eco Tour was the highlight of our 2014 visit to St Thomas. Lauralee was a super, knowledgeable guide. Her commentary added to our experience.
The paddle out to Cas Cay along the clusters of mangrove was relaxing.
One leaf from the mangrove collects the salt from the brackish water, turns yellow and drops off. The long seed pods can be tossed in the lagoon, will settled on the sand and grow to a new tree.
The hike was easy in sturdy flip flops. The blow hole provides photos ops and laughter. Take your camera in a waterproof sleeve. The company photographer is good, the CD is pricey at $45.
I liked snorkeling in a life vest. Though hot, the freedom to look and float was worth it. The schools of small fish amount the mangrove roots was plentiful. I picked up a conch shell and trumpeted to the distant island.
The paddle back was uneventful.

6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My son and I did a Eco tour through the mangroves and had a lot of fun. Highly recommend. Great places to snorkel and see baby fish

Visited April 2013